Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Horsepower
HSV = I just DONT want 1

Default AUI XR8 Dashboard Mods

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been posted already, I did a brief search and nothing came up, so here goes.

Recently Purchased an AUI XR8. As expected it is an excellent well maintained car. The previous owner was into different things (cosmetically) then I am; a lot of badges and sticker etc... I am more into the plain stock look. I like to make the car look as standard as possible let the sound and performance do the talking. I have removed majority of the stickers and excess badges and after market tail lights etc... BUT, there are a few stickers in the Dashboard it self behind the plastic, before I unscrew anything, I thought to ask the question and see if any one else has done anything similar and if it is easy enough to just unscrew it and remove the stickers, I have altered or touched a dash before so I am a bit uncertain as to whether or not it is in fact as easy at it looks.
I would also like to probably change to AUIII dash (colour scheme is a million times better) as AUI is a little bit bland for my taste.

Thanks in advance for any input, hopefully I can get the silly auto meter sticker off and show off the Tickford ones.

Regards

Her Project: Ford AU XR8 347 Stroker SUPERCHARGED. Auto 328rwkws @ 9PSI
His Project: Ford EL XR8 TWIN TURBO 5spd Man. 281rwkws @ 12PSI

BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE WE HAVE, 24 CYLINDERS, 37 PSI, 3 TURBOS, 1 SUPERCHARGER AND ROUGHLY 990 KWS

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: AUI XR8 Dashboard Mods

You can pull the cluster out of the dash and remove the front plastic screen quite easily, and it does not involve any dismantling of the electronics etc.

Two screws in the top covered by little plastic lugs, pop the lugs out, undo the screws, then pull out your fuel door button on the dash underneath the cluster, then use a long screwdriver etc up through the hole where the buttons go to lever the entire cluster out. It then has two looms that plug into the cluster unit, and you can undo those to remove the whole thing. Then just take it out of the car and you will see how the front plastic screen just clips on - undo those, unpeel stickers then re-assemble and refit. Quite easy.

I *think* the mask (ie the dials and tickford logo) is different between S1 and S2 so if you were to change that it might throw your speedo out. Not 100% on that though so maybe someone else can confirm.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Horsepower
HSV = I just DONT want 1

b2tf, thanks for the details instruction, much appreciated.
I thought it would be easy but just wanted to hear from some one who has done it, as far as electronics go I am not the brightest so I didn't want to mess with the wiring.

BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE WE HAVE, 24 CYLINDERS, 37 PSI, 3 TURBOS, 1 SUPERCHARGER AND ROUGHLY 990 KWS

Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Horsepower
HSV = I just DONT want 1

b2tf, thanks for the details instruction, much appreciated.
I thought it would be easy but just wanted to hear from some one who has done it, as far as electronics go I am not the brightest so I didn't want to mess with the wiring.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah its fairly easy and as I said you won't have to actually dismantle the fiddly parts of the cluster - just pop the face off it and remove whatever you need to then refit it and plug it back in.