Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Covid 19 -

Here is an excellent but lengthy article on Covid 19.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

The Western World is behind the 8 ball in engaging with mitigation measures.

The article is technical with graphs, but snap grabs the following conclusions:

The coronavirus is coming to you.
It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.
As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this.
You might have fears today: What if I overreact? Will people laugh at me? Will they be angry at me? Will I look stupid? Won’t it be better to wait for others to take steps first? Will I hurt the economy too much?
But in 2–4 weeks, when the entire world is in lockdown, when the few precious days of social distancing you will have enabled will have saved lives, people won’t criticize you anymore: They will thank you for making the right decision.

We are all in for a very interesting period over the next few weeks....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
The coronavirus is coming to you.
I've kind of resigned myself to burying one of my parents... my dad's running around all over town. Refuses to use skype, still wants to meet with customers/suppliers face to face. Just doesnt realise that if we have 300 cases diagnosed, we probably actually have 3000-6000 cases in the community, and doubling every 3 days.

I'm disturbed by the tepid response from the government. Schools should have been locked down from today. Instead they put self-policed restrictions on people flying in. That ship has sailed. We now need to focus on reducing the rate of community transmission.

It's abundantly clear Scott Morrison can only be described as a guy that won a vote. He's no leader....
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I've kind of resigned myself to burying one of my parents... my dad's running around all over town. Refuses to use skype, still wants to meet with customers/suppliers face to face. Just doesnt realise that if we have 300 cases diagnosed, we probably actually have 3000-6000 cases in the community, and doubling every 3 days.

I'm disturbed by the tepid response from the government. Schools should have been locked down from today. Instead they put self-policed restrictions on people flying in. That ship has sailed. We now need to focus on reducing the rate of community transmission.

It's abundantly clear Scott Morrison can only be described as a guy that won a vote. He's no leader....

The world nations were inept & slow to react to this virus as China should have been locked down immediately with all travel suspended which may have stopped this insidious virus spreading; in my opinion the horse has already bolted..
As for conspiracy theories I think the Chinese has done well in destroying the western world economies as this will have big implications for us for a long time.
I'm just waiting for the riots to happen which will be the next problem we will be facing.
All take care and watch your backs......cheers.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't think we will get to the stage of riots, they need to stop tolerating the crap going on in shopping centers at the moment.

I'm not sure why Woolies Safeway has decided on stopping it's online delivery service - surely that was the best way to enforce limits per customer and get product to customers without the crap happening in their shops.

Open it for the oldies in the morning or evening, everyone else uses E-commerce platform so the staff are just smashing out orders and loading up delivery vehicles rather than regulating punch ups in store over toilet paper.
7 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I presumed it was a workplace OH&S type ruling that forced their hand in the delivery issue. Otherwise it would be money for jam (literally!).

The hoarders’ buy-it-big book has apparently expanded to take in more foodstuffs and provisions.
Old 16-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From tomorrow Woolies will introduce a seniors only shopping hour to help the elderly amid the panic buying of toilet paper and other goods across the country. From tomorrow onwards Australia's older population and those with disability will have exclusive access to the supermarkets from the hours of 7am to 8am. Only those with a relevant Government issued concession card will be able to enter the stores at this time, with stores then opened to the general public at 8am.
Old 16-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What if they need physical assistance?
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #8
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW all hearings in the Supreme and District Courts with juries have been cancelled- excluding jury trials with juries already in progress.

The progression of isolation by curtailing business/commercial activity is only just beginning in AUS.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 16-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What if they need physical assistance?
No different to anyone needing a guide dog I would imagine.
Old 16-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Wait till it gets to our prison system - that will then be out-of-control ugly.
Old 16-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cop View Post
No different to anyone needing a guide dog I would imagine.
So, if we take my deaf, epileptic, dementia-stricken father as a fair example of someone needing assistance - do you see me being allowed in there at seven, to shop on his behalf?
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your over 80 or have health issues, your in a high risk section and should not go outside for a few months, self quarantine.
Old 16-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So, if we take my deaf, epileptic, dementia-stricken father as a fair example of someone needing assistance - do you see me being allowed in there at seven, to shop on his behalf?
No, you can go at other times and shop for him.
Old 16-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Wait till it gets to our prison system - that will then be out-of-control ugly.
Why? Its a cold, they will sniffle for a bit and be fine (or not). Business as usual, if your talking about the management of then that will be interesting but there are some sectors that just need to keep on going.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
If your over 80 or have health issues, your in a high risk section and should not go outside for a few months, self quarantine.
This. I imagine I'll be doing food drops to my parents doorstep for a while. Both high risk.
Old 16-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post

I wonder who going to shop for these some of these elderly people who might not have any relatives to assist them or keep any eye on them ....catch 22.

Have you been shopping lately to see the empty shelves, even now it is getting hopeless with most meat supplies sold out.
Wait until the industries wind down due to sickness & frightened workers.
Going to get a lot more uglier if food essentials remain in short supply, will be just like shopping in the old USSR days.

PS: I have health issues but it will not stop me going about doing what I want to do....I will run the risk!
Old 16-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
No, you can go at other times and shop for him.
It makes no sense; a person with multiple impairments bring further impaired by a policy ostensibly there to assist. You’d think the Government dreamed it up...
Old 16-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #18
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
This. I imagine I'll be doing food drops to my parents doorstep for a while. Both high risk.
Yep, same here...
both vulnerable especially my father who has multiple illnesses and mobility issues. The biggest disappointment is the absolute animal mentality we have all witnessed in the last couple of weeks at our shopping centres. 1st world by name and 3rd , even 4th world world by nature. Disgusting and shameful and yet somehow not surprising. Ivory tower ......much.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government havent helped. They've provided no info on what type of lockdowns will be trialled, so people are assuming worst case scenario (2mths, like China). There will be lockdowns though, its only a question of when.
Old 16-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The nursing home we’re entangled with, has closed to all but permanent/current residents and staff. They are offering some of the services normally available onsite to non-residents, such as physio, as outcalls at pretty much 200%.

Subject to staff availability, other in-home care services like social support and cleaning/personal care will continue at standard rates. I’m expecting the workers who service these domains, will soon thin in ranks as well.

The museum in Darlinghurst has closed until at least the end of March, they emailed members this afternoon advising.
Old 16-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #21
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Old 16-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Its hit us hard at work with Schools cancelling off campus activities like swimming carnivals etc. our buses have ground to a halt with a dozen casually employed drivers now out of work until further notice.
Im just lucky that my split shift school runs are still going ahead otherwise it'd be the same for me, that is until the schools shut down which could only be weeks away judging on what's happening elsewhere.
Having said that, I have serious doubts that the business will survive on what school runs bring in alone, it really is more about having the buses with signage out on the road visible to the public than a money making exercise.

Meanwhile my Wife works in Aged care and they'll be locking them down any tick of the clock too, thankfully she is fulltime with a bit of annual, sick and long service leave up her sleeve.
Old 16-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
MercuryT
Banned

Why can't people comment on ScoMo?

He's making the calls FFS. (obviously based on advice which has been poor)

Talk about over-moderation, Chinese like ironically.
Old 16-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #24
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
The government havent helped. They've provided no info on what type of lockdowns will be trialled, so people are assuming worst case scenario (2mths, like China). There will be lockdowns though, its only a question of when.
+1
Sco Mo speach/press conference yesterday.

I couldn't believe how many times he mentioned common sense and how much emphasis he was placing on it to make a difference to the eventual outcomes.

Common sense no longer exists the way it used to in our society because people are encouraged most of the time not think for themselves.

We're doomed if we rely on common sense.
Old 16-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Why can't people comment on ScoMo?

He's making the calls FFS. (obviously based on advice which has been poor)

Talk about over-moderation, Chinese like ironically.
Have you ever read the T&C's ?
Old 16-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #26
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Have you ever read the T&C's ?
That fair comment is unacceptable?

Maybe I need a refresh then.

ScoMo has been disastrous so far. It's not political comment just an observation of his decisions.
Old 16-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #27
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a con and it’s remarkable how many people have swallowed the media driven bait hook line and sinker. 20,000 people in the US alone have died from influenza this season (so far) alone, while 3000 people have died from Covid 19 worldwide. Over 80% of people will experience only mild flu like symptoms, and the daily death rate it a tiny fraction of what Hep B is. And of all the deaths, those without pre existing conditions account for less than 1% of deaths.

I saw a post on BookFace and it’s very true, with the way we have fallen for and melted down over this con it’s no wonder they’d never tell us about aliens.
Old 16-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I think this is the message that needs to be sent out, and I just don't know why the powers haven't done so???

Re-assure people that there are plans to ensure that have enough oil to keep our country mobile.
Re-assure people that domestic gas supplies are secured.
Re-assure people that transport and supply chains are secured.
Re-assure people that water and electricity supplies are secure.
Re-assure people that we produce vast quantities of food, beer, and TP more than enough for our population many times over.

Importantly: Australia is self-sufficient for those important things we need.

That we have closed the borders so that we can prioritise dealing with our sick and we will get through this crisis.

Schools may be shut and we may ask people to quarantine for a short time.

Where possible we need everyone to keep working, to keep the wheels turning.

We are all doing it tough, so if your employer needs you to take holiday leave or long service leave, every bit helps.

I think this is the message that Australians want to hear and it would help abate most of the nonsense media panic.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #29
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
This is a con and it’s remarkable how many people have swallowed the media driven bait hook line and sinker. 20,000 people in the US alone have died from influenza this season (so far) alone,
With no controls. What would the death toll be if we made no effort to control Covid-19?

Hint: look at Italy. Death toll is over 7% because it has exceeded their capacity to provide healthcare.

Quote:
while 3000 people have died from Covid 19 worldwide.
More than double that actually.

Quote:
Over 80% of people will experience only mild flu like symptoms, and the daily death rate it a tiny fraction of what Hep B is.
The mortality rate for Hep B is 0.0005%. About 7000x lower than Covid-19.
Old 16-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #30
XC-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
This is a con and it’s remarkable how many people have swallowed the media driven bait hook line and sinker. 20,000 people in the US alone have died from influenza this season (so far) alone, while 3000 people have died from Covid 19 worldwide. Over 80% of people will experience only mild flu like symptoms, and the daily death rate it a tiny fraction of what Hep B is. And of all the deaths, those without pre existing conditions account for less than 1% of deaths.

I saw a post on BookFace and it’s very true, with the way we have fallen for and melted down over this con it’s no wonder they’d never tell us about aliens.
How ridiculous, and its this type of thinking that will make this issue so much worse then it is, the fact the your not taking it seriously. "Media Driven Bait"? where did you get your facts from? The MEDIA...

You don't seriously believe the F1, Euro Cup, NBA were all postponed because of Media Hype, Multi Million Dollar industries postponing events because of a mild like flu?

We are being drip fed what we need to know at a slow rate to ease the panic and carnage thats about to unfold.
Closed Thread