Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Laptop Display Failure

Toshiba Satellite, probably six or seven years old. Display doesn’t illuminate, you can just make out the screen with a torch light. Otherwise boots and behaves normally.

Does the display cable ever partially fail, or is the backlighting part of the display likely to be stuffed? I’m assuming a complete display replacement is nothing too difficult with small screwdrivers and a bit of patience.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Laptop Display Failure

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL_GtXcSGp0

I guess these might also be worth a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXqTJDBjJI but you will probably end up back at the first video.
Old 13-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

It's a simple backlight failure....usually asmall pcb located at the bottom of the screen.

basically the fluoro tube has a starter and its not starting.

cheap and simple repair...give me the model number?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It gives the model as L50D-B. I think there’s a fair bit of component sharing between L50D variants but hadn’t followed it through diligently.
Old 13-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It gives the model as L50D-B. I think there’s a fair bit of component sharing between L50D variants but hadn’t followed it through diligently.

you need a back light inverter board...small chance a plug has come loose in the hinges...the hinge plastics usually just un clip

all spare parts in Aus for Toshiba come from here...

https://store.emprgroup.com.au/ToshibaParts.aspx

Quote:
It gives the model as L50D-B.y.
that is not it...look at the sticker under the machine...probably starts with a a PAxxxx

Last edited by zilo; 13-07-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 13-07-2020, 10:35 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Could just be 1, 2 or 3 led's have died in the backlight strip's?

Most of the modern stuff like led tv's, pc monitor's, laptop's etc etc for the last 10 year's or so come with the factory backlighting setting at full brightness
Going into the menu and dropping this down to 50% will double the service life of the backlight led's minimum

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks. It looks like they don’t split the inverter from the display as sold.

Failure was without warning, just from one day to the next. Hasn’t been dropped, has been open and shut, powered up and down many times.

PSKUCA-01800S is the model number

Last edited by Citroënbender; 13-07-2020 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Autocorrected again
Old 13-07-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
zilo
BANNED

Yep...you are out of luck for a cheap repair, you have to buy the entire LCD panel on that model....about $300...tough decision....

https://store.emprgroup.com.au/Toshi...899#yt_content
Old 13-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Ta. I’ll do a teardown and wiggle/visual check in case the cable is damaged. If not, will replace the screen. $300 is more than I enjoy spending on it, but still my cheapest reliable option.
Old 15-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Is it a white one? If so I have one here that decided it wasn't going to boot up any more.
It's L850D Up spec'd from yours but the screen is the same. You can have it if it helps, it's just taking up space here.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, it is white. It’s the old bloke’s plaything, he can barely use a computer anymore but is lost without it as “background noise”.

Happy to wrangle a deal with you, will send a PM.
Old 15-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
zilo
BANNED

recycling is a win/win
Old 24-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

All fixed.

When I punched in the model number for Bushbasher’s lappy, it came up with a different screen in the parts listing, not one that was an interchange. So that avenue ran dead.

I decided a stripdown was next, to eliminate any obvious issues that may have lead to the inverter not working. Came apart fairly readily. Found a part number on the display back and hit up Comrade Google.

Result, aftermarket screen $90 plus post ex-Mebourne, parts confirmed (by phone) in stock. Express Post saw me with a fully working laptop the following evening for $119.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
All fixed.

When I punched in the model number for Bushbasher’s lappy, it came up with a different screen in the parts listing, not one that was an interchange. So that avenue ran dead.

I decided a stripdown was next, to eliminate any obvious issues that may have lead to the inverter not working. Came apart fairly readily. Found a part number on the display back and hit up Comrade Google.

Result, aftermarket screen $90 plus post ex-Mebourne, parts confirmed (by phone) in stock. Express Post saw me with a fully working laptop the following evening for $119.
If it came from Melbourne, your laptop probably has a virus in it now
Old 24-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Touché!
Old 24-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was gonna say the same.....wipe it down, and leave it in a cupboard for 14 days
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: