Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Transmission Oil Cooler fitted on XR8 II

I personally think ALL AU's need a separate trans cooler fitted regardless of it's daily uses. They are far more reliable being bypassed from the radiator and they last a lot longer that way. I view it as a bit of insurance.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #32
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
My AUIII I6 trans overheated today, after spending about 30-40 mins in very slow moving (mostly stopped) traffic, then 5 mins of 80km/hr level road, once I hit some moderate hills it started vibrating under load. I noticed the coolant temp was up too (around "M" rather than "O"), that came down quickly but the trans was still playing up, I guess because the oil holds heat better.

My question is... will a tranny cooler help in this instance, considering that there's no airflow over the stock setup or an aftermarket cooler when the car is stopped?
Would think that once stationary, coolant temp will creep up and fans will turn on..so airflow. Still to fit my cooler (went to do it and saw Radiator is weeping...so waiting for new Rad at the moment). But am thinking about how to fit a temp sensor to Trans cooler so that if Trans temp creeps up, it also turns on fans. Wiring diagram suggests that it is possible. If I get anywhere on this will post it up.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have a large aftermarket trans cooler AND a heat exchanger (looks like another smaller but thicker radiator) cooling water in front of my radiator. I have the twin thermo's sucking air in as well as a smaller 10" Davies Craig thermo blowing air into the heat exchanger to help. The temp never gets over the O in normal regardless of temp outside.

Consider getting the radiator flushed and cleaned?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Consider getting the radiator flushed and cleaned?
Might have to. When I gave my cooling system a bit of TLC a few months ago this is all that came out of the radiator's drain port:

(The brown stuff dripping; the other water on the driveway is rain)

I gave it a good flush and also a couple of days worth of tap water with the heater on high but the drain port was still blocked. This is the first time I've had an overheating problem since I first noticed a slow leak a couple of years back, and the overheating in that case was because the coolant level had dropped. It's spot on right now.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

A high pressure flush from a professional will get out additional blockages. They take the radiator out, remove the tanks and properly clean the cores and unblock all the galleries. Then put it all back together and refill it with fresh coolant. Doesn't cost a massive amount, but if its never been done in its life, it will be very beneficial considering you are getting over heating issues like you are.

A fresh change of thermostat is also worth doing for the cheapness alone while you getting the radiator clean done.

See how that goes first, then if it comes back, look at more expensive areas.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #36
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the time you've paid labour costs to partially dismantle and clean, plus the new coolant, wouldn't it be worth considering just replacing the rad?

Does the old one have any scrap metal value?
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #37
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Doubt it. If you are intending on replacing the rad though, don't just get ordinary replacement. Go copper core radiator. that way it shouldn't rust and corrode. A bit more than regular but lasts heaps longer.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont