Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Cralis

Default Damn/musty smell when the aircon starts

My Mondeo was bought new in December, and now has 6K on the clock. (Trend wagon, Sept build).

In the last month, when ever I start the car, and the aircon kicks in, I get an awful damp/wet/musty.moldy smell fill the car for around 20 seconds, and then subsides.

Has anyone had this and know what is the cause?

I took it in, but they had a 'NO fault found'. They claim they checked the aircon, and saw no leaks or anything, so it's fine. They put some nice smelly stuff somewhere - but I can't smell that over the overwhelming smell of damn.

Has anyone seen this or can advise what to do?
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Damn/musty smell when the aircon starts

Check that the tube to drain condensation from the evaporator isn't blocked. Even without blockage, you end up with organic sludge building up from microbial growth. I treated mine buy setting the system to full fan, air-con off, recirculate, and emptied half a can of Glen-20 up under the dash. This has helped.
Try to turn the air-con off a few minutes prior to reaching your destination to allow condensate to dissipate.
If Fraud do an air-con clean for you, they will do much the same as above, using a fancy branded product, and charge you a few hundred dollars!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Change the cabin filter a charcoal one is available from ford for $20.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Cralis

Thanks corbin. Is that a home DIY thing? Not even sure where I'd start. And is it normal to have to change this after 3 months from brand new?
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Old 04-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
jayjay99
Banned

That has happened with numerous cars that I have had. Don't worry, it is nothing. It soon goes away.
jayjay99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Thanks corbin. Is that a home DIY thing? Not even sure where I'd start. And is it normal to have to change this after 3 months from brand new?
3mths, no that's not normal but who knows how it were handled on the way to AU. With all the rain the FNQ has had mine wasn't smelling good soon after and every use of the AC. I thought I replaced it during a timing belt change but didn't, and after going over the records it's 2.5yrs since. So I changed it recently and the smell instantly went away. Charcoal cabin filters are $20 from Ford and for that I'll do them every year now. Though this last one is a Ridex Charcoal filter (padding from the last OS Order) so I'll see how it fairs.

As yours is new I'd check the drain is working, just eyeball a wet patch somewhere under the middle of the vehicle I think. The MD has a trippy location of the cabin filter, you have to come from the side of the dashboard when the door is open and take the Gbox off ect.... If you've got the tools and are good with your hands sure it's doable. If not then best to not try. Make ford change it and ask that it's a charcoal filter not just a plain filter. If not for warranty ask for a quote.

It's a pain in the backside on MB's and probably the same for MC's. The first time I did mine I did it by the book, Gbox out, GEM panel out to the side. After that I now have a faster way and it's drop the GEM panel out to the side, take the kickpanel off and I've got access to the filter door, remove two (I left the middle screw out) and curl the filter to the slot as I'm feeding it in. All whilst I'm laying on my back (over the door scuff) shoulders on the floor working over my head. Not delightful but it's minutes to do not half as long as per the book.

Last edited by cobrin; 04-04-2018 at 03:51 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine does it from time to time, as do all the 18 MD Mondeos at work. Mines done it from day 1 but it comes and goes. We have asked our dealer and its very common but its unknown why. Our cars range from base to the titanium and both hatch and wagons. And yes all cars have had the charcoal cabin filters installed.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
asteele-xr6

Same musty smells started to appear with my MD Titanium, and when it went in for its 30,000km service (it's 18 months old) just recently, I asked them to change the cabin filter - as I have seen this in other vehicles after a while.

The service tech told me that they change the cabin pollen filter during the service anyway automatically, no extra costs involved. I seem to remember paying Peugeot a small fortune to do it in a previous life!

Since the cabin pollen filter was replaced at the service as promised, I have had no air-con smells at all.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's also good practice to turn off the air con when you are a couple of blocks away from your destination. This allows any ice/condensation to melt & drain away rather than simply pooling & making it easy for bacteria & mould to grow (which is what you are smelling).
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
Cralis

Thanks Peter.
I've never had to do that with other cars. But I'll give it a shot.
The be honest, the whole climate control seems a bit under expectation. The vents for the back are very weak, so my kids often complain of heat and how the can't feel the cool air. The front vents aren't crazy powerful either. And the fact that the outside of my front window will always mist up when the outside temperature is 23 or lower, doesn't sound like a great feature.

It seems I'm plagued with water issues (Damp smell, misting windows...)
Old 28-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
stuart

If your aircon is weak cooling-wise I suggest you re-charge the unit. Ford will say it is not necessary however I have had similar experience in the past. It is amazing the difference.
Happy travelling.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...er-141g/342508

or

There are lots of brands in this market space.
Old 25-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Faolan

It's mould growing around the cooling elements. Glen 20 under the dash is a very temporary fix. You have to pull the pollen filter out and get something in there to kill the mould. You can buy a foam that can kill the mould, it expands over and through the cooling elements. Give the mechanic a can of Bam shower spray and ask him tondo it when replacing the pollen filter. I drilled a hole, because the pollen filter is a pain to remove, and put a rubber plug in it. Now I can do it in 2mins.
Faolan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi and welcome to forum!

Thanks for your suggestion for removing mould odour. I have never experienced it myself, perhaps I'm lucky. My usual habit is to turn AC off a few minutes before arrival, leaving the fan on, in the belief that the moisture condensed on the relevant AC part is dried off by the time I get home.

I'm not sure about your cleaning method. I'd be cautious about introducing cleaners intended for the bathroom to a metal, brass is it?, heat exchanger. Let's see the ingredients of BAM shower spray:

http://www.rb-msds.com.au/uploadedFi...3-D0279548.pdf

Cheers

Last edited by rondeo; 25-05-2018 at 03:32 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Faolan

Ok.Maybe don't use BAM. Some of the other automotive products, then. Just spray on the heat exchanger side of the pollen filter. There are automotive foams available, I just didn't want to wait.
www.Ebay.com.au has "Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner" $20.00

I shall purchase before summer

Last edited by Faolan; 25-05-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: add information
Faolan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #16
stuart

A past experience with musty smells in my MA Mondeo (with sunroof as a tip). Worth checking if the source of the dampness is not found elsewhere. The link is a few pages but gets to the source of the leak in the end.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11346973
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post