Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #211
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Voice control could be interesting when theres a crim in the back
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #212
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
And column shift too, I like it! Do Ford make a Police Pack Territory? That could be a great car.
Yep for private speed camera cars in NSW !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #213
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

New Explorer > Territory.

I'd buy that, minus the stickers and lights :P
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #214
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Voice control could be interesting when theres a crim in the back
Or when they change drivers, voice control in cars needs to 'learn' itself to the voice of the driver on the premise that there is usually only one driver - I think in a fleet vehicle like a cop car when the cars are cycled through the fleet and umpteen drivers, the voice control is going to be more trouble than its worth.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #215
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Or when they change drivers, voice control in cars needs to 'learn' itself to the voice of the driver on the premise that there is usually only one driver - I think in a fleet vehicle like a cop car when the cars are cycled through the fleet and umpteen drivers, the voice control is going to be more trouble than its worth.
You don't think Ford thought of that? Im sure it has been reworked to be suitable otherwise it would have been deleted
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #216
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Why has Ford shown us the same picture twice? Oh, I see.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #217
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordpoliceinterceptorreveal.com/
heres a video presentation of there interceptors

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #218
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Look at the first pic it looks like Ambrose coming over the hill in the no.1 pirtek falcon(although a bit blurry) hahahaha!.
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #219
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/r...interceptor-a/

Quote:
Report: Authorities skeptical of Ford's new Police Interceptor at testing event

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on Sep 20th 2010 at 10:59AM

Michigan law enforcement officials have gathered to run a rodeo with the Ford Police Interceptor, Dodge Charger Pursuit and Chevrolet Caprice police car. The last horse standing will be trying to slide into the spot left by the Ford Crown Victoria, which sold about 50,000 units per year before going out of production. Ford doesn't have the inside line on replacing its standard bearer, though, because the Taurus-based Police Interceptor is front-wheel drive, and that makes some officers skeptical.

An officer's remark that "It is a whole different driving system" symbolizes the wariness, with concerns not only about cost and complexity, but just being able to drive the thing in the way officers are accustomed. The competition is rear-wheel drive, and in the case of the Caprice – which ran the police fleet show until it went out of production – there's more interior room. All the cars have their give-and-take, although the Ford is the only offering with all-wheel drive. Final results from the weekend's testing will be announced in December.

PICS
Old 21-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #220
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think the US Police market will be a mix of marques here and there. People are kidding themselves if the Taurus PI is going to divide and conquer, same for the Caprice. But I think the distribution of them across NA will be pretty even, for various reasons.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 21-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #221
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll find the Taurus to be extremely popular up in the areas with lots of snow.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #222
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
I think you'll find the Taurus to be extremely popular up in the areas with lots of snow.
Michigan and a lot of other snow-belt places have the Crown Vic as the police car. RWD is fine for these places, all of their advanced driver training revolves around RWD cars anyway.

A Falcon/Fairlane police car would do staggeringly well over there.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #223
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/22/c...s-in-official/

Quote:
Chevy Caprice outperforms Ford and Dodge police cars in official test... or does it?

by Dan Roth (RSS feed) on Sep 22nd 2010 at 11:28AM

The police vehicle market is flush with new iron from all quarters, making the results of this year's Michigan State Police Vehicle Evaluation hotly anticipated. Ford brought its new Taurus-based Police Interceptor, Chrysler had the 2011 Dodge Charger Police Pursuit model, and General Motors showed up with the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle. Preliminary results of the performance and dynamics testing put the Caprice PPV on top of its rivals, says GM, but there's a catch.

Chevrolet is touting the unofficial test outcome (final results will be released later this year) as proof of the Caprice PPV's superiority. Being quicker to both 60 and 100 mph and offering shorter stopping distances are performance attributes that officers appreciate, as is a 6.0-liter V8 and a chassis that handled Grattan Raceway with the best average lap time. Thing is, despite the fact that Ford's forthcoming Taurus-based cruiser was on-hand and competed in the tests, GM only compares its new Caprice to the ancient Crown Vic. The reason? The Blue Oval's new PI won't be available for more than a year. According to the blokes at Jalopnik who were on-hand for the shootout, the Caprice was actually bested by the AWD Taurus PI in braking and lap times, but GM has fashioned the 'not available yet' loophole to create victory (nevermind that the Caprice isn't on the streets yet either).

Of course, good performance numbers aren't all there is to police work, or departments would patrol in Corvettes. Chevrolet says the Caprice PPV leads in interior space and thoughtful touches like seats designed to accommodate officers' equipment belts. All of this, GM says, adds up to an open-and-shut case for the Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle. You'd expect no less from a press release (posted after the jump), but clearly, the real victory in the race to replace the Crown Victoria has yet to be determined.
Old 23-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #224
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What a pack of ******* they are then! Talk about an outright lie.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #225
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/08/o...astest-police/

Quote:
Official MSP Numbers: Chevy Caprice is quickest, fastest police car... barely

by Jeremy Korzeniewski (RSS feed) on Oct 8th 2010 at 7:00PM

The numbers are in, folks. This year's Michigan State Police Vehicle Evaluation pitted Ford's Jurassic Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (the new Taurus-based Police Interceptor was reportedly on hand, but its numbers won't be included until next year), Chrysler's 2011 Dodge Charger Police Pursuit model and General Motors' Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle against each other in a no-holds-barred fight to the finish. And let's just say the results are closer than you might think.

For instance, as pointed out by the proud parents at Chevrolet, the Caprice did, in fact, manage to set the best acceleration times to 60 miles per hour and 100 mph. But... and there's always a but... the 2011 Charger was pretty much neck-and-neck with the Caprice. In fact, the Charger was quicker to 20, 40, 50, 70 and 80 mph. So, which one is really quicker? Pretty much a photo finish, if you ask us.

Also, top speeds between the two competitors were within spitting distance: 148 mph for the Caprice and 146 for the Hemi-powered Charger. There's plenty more intriguing data as well, such as the fact that the new Pentastar V6-powered Charger was, on average, almost exactly as fast around the race track as its more powerful V8-powered sibling, and both were about a second behind the Caprice in the lap time derby.

And what of the old stalwart? Ford's age-old Crown Victoria did its best, but was still over two seconds behind at 60 mph and a woeful 10 seconds afield by 100. Top speed for the Vic was 129 (with a 3.27 rear end, which was even slower in acceleration tests than its 3.55-equipped brother), and its lap times were well behind that of the Caprice and Charger.

Braking tests also favored the new Caprice and Charger. Chevy's entry posted a projected 60-0 stopping distance of 128.3 feet and the Charger managed to come to a halt in 133.9 feet (133.2 with the V6). For comparison, the Crown Vic needs 141.6 feet to haul itself down from speed.

One final note: If acceleration is really what an officer is into, perhaps he should consider a switch to two wheels. Kawasaki's Concours 14 ABS Police bike hit 100 mph in under 10 seconds and the BMW R1200 RTP did the deed in under 12. See the complete preliminary testing results here at the link below.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #226
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The irony, eh? Let's brag about beating a soon to be disncontinued vehicle that put us out of the market decades ago.

Seriously, bragging about beating a platform that came out in 1979? The Crown vic is a dinosaur that filled the needs of an era that's now passed. Ford has a new go-getter ready in the back.

Hey, if I can't beat someone at something I will find an elderly person I can certainly shine against!

......Geeessshhh..........

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #227
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVKILLA
Look at the first pic it looks like Ambrose coming over the hill in the no.1 pirtek falcon(although a bit blurry) hahahaha!.
ha, it does too.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #228
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/01/f...ahead-of-sema/

Quote:
Ford shows off Police Interceptor Stealth concept ahead of SEMA debut

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Nov 1st 2010 at 12:01AM SEMA

In addition to the raft of Mustangs and F-150s that Ford will be debuting at this year's SEMA show, this special Police Interceptor Stealth concept will be on display in Las Vegas this week. Ford designer Melvin Betancourt took inspiration from the SR-71 stealth airplane used in the 1950s and 1960s to create a Taurus-based Police Interceptor that manages to be flashy yet still able to fly under the radar.

Compared to a standard Police Interceptor sedan, the Stealth concept is lowered by one inch and rides on sinister 22-inch wheels. The rest of the car has been blacked out as much as possible – smoked taillamps, tinted windows and black trim all around the car make for a package that, as Betancourt says, gives the illusion of "there, but not there." Hit the jump to read the full details, and scroll through our high-res image gallery to see the concept for yourself.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #229
Venomous1
5.0 means business

I like that one.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #230
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Hawt.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #231
Chopped
as in chopped

I can see the police riding on 22's !!

(does look mean though)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #232
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Next to the fresh new Ford Interceptor, the Caprice PPV looks old.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #233
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Does anyone else think it looks like an oversized BA-BF Falcon grill opening mated to a Camry headlight setup? Nonetheless, looks pretty decent.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #234
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Does anyone else think it looks like an oversized BA-BF Falcon grill opening mated to a Camry headlight setup? Nonetheless, looks pretty decent.
No doubt, Kuzak and Mulally were looking at BA-BF and FG Falcon
at the same time the 2011 Taurus was being developed.

Maybe sacrilege, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Falcon styling
evolved in that direction with higher belt line and bolder front......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #235
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That actually looks nice!!

Holden (& the media) have been very quite on this front. Order books have been open for a month now, how many have they actually gotten?? Seeing as we got 100 articles saying "jack all" for months now, I'm surprised this one has gone quite for Holden..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #236
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Maybe sacrilege, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Falcon styling
evolved in that direction with higher belt line and bolder front......
After seeing them in the flesh they actually aren't all that special.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #237
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Next to the fresh new Ford Interceptor, the Caprice PPV looks old.
Yeah I dunno, the Caprice can be pimped up to look pretty hawt.

Old 22-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #238
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/92198/fo...t-caprice-ppv/

Quote:
Ford Police Interceptor outguns Chevrolet Caprice PPV
By Tim Beissmann | November 22nd, 2010

The all-new Ford Police Interceptor has outgunned its V8 competitors at a recent testing day in the US.

The car standing in the way of the Holden-engineered Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) taking control of the US law enforcement fleet laid down the fastest lap of the day at a recent Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department test day.

Powered by Ford’s new 3.5-litre twin-turbocharged direct-injection EcoBoost V6 engine, the all-wheel drive Taurus-based Police Interceptor creates 272kW and 474Nm of torque, and accelerates from 0-60mph (96.6 km/h) in 5.8 seconds.

The 6.0-litre V8-powered Caprice PPV comes in just below the Ford at 265kW but has an extra 47Nm of torque – 521Nm all up. The PPV features Active Fuel Management and is capable of running on E85 fuel, and also accelerates from 0-100km/h in under 6.0 seconds.

Ford also let loose its base model vehicle, which will compete with the V6 Caprice when both models are released in 2012. The 209kW 3.5-litre V6 Ti-VCT Ford Police Interceptor outperformed its V6 rivals in acceleration, braking and lap time tests.

Ford says its new fleet of Police Interceptor vehicles will be at least 20 percent more fuel efficient than the current 4.6-litre V8 powering the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

Ford has also developed a Police Interceptor utility vehicle based on the all-new Explorer, powered by a 3.7-litre V6 Ti-VCT engine, which outgunned the Chevrolet Tahoe around the test circuit by more than two seconds.

Chevrolet has a chance to get the jump on Ford however, as the Blue Oval’s new models are not due to debut for another 12 months, after Crown Victoria production finishes late in 2011.

The third member of the Detroit Three is also attempting to make an impression on the 70,000-vehicle-a-year law enforcement vehicle market from next year, with orders for the 2011 Dodge Charger Pursuit already underway.
Old 22-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #239
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

And the official press release:

* Police Interceptor 3.5-litre V6 EcoBoost achieves fastest lap time
* Ford’s Police Interceptor SUV outperforms key competitors in acceleration

CRIMINALS will have a tough time beating Ford's all-new Police Interceptor sedan.

The Interceptor sedan has just recorded the fastest lap time of any police car in testing by the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

The results achieved by the next-generation Police Interceptors are proof that Ford has engineered purpose-built and durable vehicles for the law enforcement community across North America.

Ford’s Taurus-based Police Interceptor all-wheel drive sedan, equipped with a 3.5-litre V6 EcoBoost engine, delivered an impressive zero-to-96km/h (60mph) time of 5.8 seconds and the fastest lap time – trumping all V8 competition from Chevrolet and Dodge.

Ford’s 3.5-litre EcoBoost V6 is a twin-turbocharged, direct-injection engine that will deliver at least 272kW (365 horsepower) and 474Nm (350 lb-ft of torque) across a broad rev range.

"These are purpose-built vehicles that we have developed with the support of police agencies across the US and Canada," the director of Ford’s North American Fleet Operations, Kevin Koswick, said.

"As the leader in police vehicles 15 years running, Ford is committed to remaining the nation’s largest provider of police vehicles," he said.

"We’re offering law enforcement officials a portfolio of products that are purpose-built and deliver on our commitment of providing the safety, technology, durability and performance they need to excel at their jobs."

Equally impressive, Ford’s base 3.5-litre V6 Ti-VCT Police Interceptor sedan with all-wheel drive showcased stellar handling and performance, beating all V6 competitors in braking, acceleration and lap times.

The combination of 208kW (280 horsepower) with twin-injected variable cam timing technology, six-speed transmission and pursuit suspension tuning and calibration delivered the goods.

For the first time ever, Ford has an Explorer-based Police Interceptor SUV – called the Utility vehicle - equipped with a 3.7-litre V6 Ti-VCT engine and all-wheel-drive technology.

When tested with a 180kg loaded cargo box, the Police Interceptor SUV posted the fastest lap time, beating the Chevrolet Tahoe by more than two seconds.

These results achieved Ford’s target of delivering a pursuit-rated SUV that matches the performance and handling of the V6 Police Interceptor sedan.

Ford’s new portfolio of Police Interceptors provides departments with the ability to select the vehicle that best meets their needs.

Agencies can now choose from a combination of two body styles, all-wheel or front wheel drive and multiple power-trains delivering at least 20 per cent more fuel efficiency than the 4.6-litre single-overhead-cam V8 offered in the current Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

Both Ford Police Interceptors debut after production of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor ends at the end of 2011.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #240
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Hrrm far out thats for sure ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post