Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #3061
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #3062
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

It was a glorious autumn day in Melbourne. A friend and I got on our bicycles and covered 80km.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #3063
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

by train or tram.
Old 24-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #3064
.:4:.
Kicking back

My mum got the rest of the old 50/35w downlights swapped out for leds and was talking my ear off about the improvement at her place. When i was on the tools, had a ute, access to trade prices etc, i did already swap out the fittings in the kitchen and all the frequently used areas. I also swapped out the 6 pendent fittings that had 100w 78mm r7 linear halogen lamps to 8w 78mm leds which work very well. So i advised her on colour temperature fitting size as i know that, but did a cost breakdown as to why pay a local sparky to do it as opposed to myself doing it. 1st is id need to buy roof racks to take my ladder. 2nd is. The way my old work would charge out parts was trade price + 10% gst + 30% mark up. So for an $8 fitting, + 80c + $2.40, for the amount of fittings she got done, it offsets the labour compared to going to a wholesaler and they wont be charging the public $8.80. They sting the public $25 or up for the same part. If it was 1 or 2 fittings, yeah not worth the effort paying the minimum hour labour for a 5 minute job. But for 35 or so fittings, paying 2 hours labour makes more sense. And before anyone jumps up and down saying fittings from bunnings are cheaper, my mum liked the ones i had already installed and wanted to match them for the rest of her place. And bunnings dont sell those fittings. Theyre nothing fancy, 8w SAL 92mm downies, but the other minor advantage is waste disposal. The old trannies were the iron core tridonic tm50s. Well, tridonics iron core stuff has been rebranded to cmp, tridonic only do electronic control gears/drivers/ballasts/trannies. But yeah, not having to fill the bin with heavy old transformers as its the contractors responsibility is an added bonus. Or atleast thats the way my old work used to operate.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #3065
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could get the same prices at the wholesaler that your work does, and you would charge your Mum cost price surely. 6ft ladder would fit inside a hatchback with the front seat down. Couple hours on the weekend and your mum would have saved a bundle. This sounds like how my daughter tries to justify something she doesn’t want to do haha!!

You’re definitely going to hell for not doing this for your mum.... it’s in the Mum commandments - “Thou shall help thy mother whenever possible as she pushed thou out of her vagina, raised thou and put up with thou’s ****e.”
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #3066
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Pretty much every day the last 30 months, my daily routine has included morning tea for my father. This is a pretty typical serve.
Sometimes he struggles to drink, most goes down his chin then his clothes and on to the floor. Today, it went well. The floors are mopped clean by default, not intention. Jam spots on the cake are for augmenting his interest, sweet food is a known “mood reset” too.

I’m reaching the end of when it will be possible to maintain him in the house, he is now requiring assistance with pretty much everything and that’s beyond practical here. But - thought I’d share a little snippet of when it’s going nicely.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #3067
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Pretty much every day the last 30 months, my daily routine has included morning tea for my father. This is a pretty typical serve.
image image
Sometimes he struggles to drink, most goes down his chin then his clothes and on to the floor. Today, it went well. The floors are mopped clean by default, not intention. Jam spots on the cake are for augmenting his interest, sweet food is a known “mood reset” too.

I’m reaching the end of when it will be possible to maintain him in the house, he is now requiring assistance with pretty much everything and that’s beyond practical here. But - thought I’d share a little snippet of when it’s going nicely.
To a degree your father has had it pretty good during this covid business. For months when restrictions were in full force, the rules the nursing home my grandparents are in had the rule that if they left for any reason they would be isolated to their room for 14 days. This really aged them fast as every 2 weeks they go to the hospital for a checkup. So they were stuck in their room with no visitors for months. Appart from staff who were suited up and phone calls, they had no in person social interactions. During that time a couple times a week my brother would drop off reading material so the g's would have something more then daytime tv to occupy themselves. But even that was press the intercom and leave it at the front door. Things have eased up, but still, every visit has to be booked in advance and is limited to 1 hour, and outings are limited to 2 hours. So my grandparents world has turned into a very small place. So your father is lucky that you can still get him out in the fresh air, he can have his tea and an assortment of cakes etc not just whats on that day.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #3068
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FIL rang the wife on Sunday. He was lonely and nobody has come to see him for months. It was sad to hear him talk like this, however he gets regular visitors but he unfortunately forgets they have been.
The positive was he was able to reach out like that using his mobile phone. Too many times he cant work the thing or mixes it up with the TV remote.
He also made me chuckle when he asked the wife if she had been to London this week.
Last week he was letting everyone know she had been declared Missing! Oh well, she'll turn up, he says.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #3069
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As hard as they can be at times, its always good to look and remember the funny things they do, my FIL (dementia last 15 years) had great delight in announcing he was getting married to this nice young nurse as "she enjoys me pinching her bum'. hell what do ya do with them
try and protect the staff from sexual assault, going to happen sooner or later...

Citroen I wish I could eat all that for morning tea.
Old 25-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #3070
Kicking back

So rocking up to dinner tonight, my mum had picked up my kid from sparing class from teikwondo. So i said to him come check out what i did to my car. My mum didnt pay attention, and i hadnt done anything to my car bar vaccum it, but it bought enough time for me to slip him a red bull. To be fair, unless i have to turn on dad mode, my kid and I treat each other as best mates.
Anyhow, my mum was proud to tell me she visited one of her neighbors who just had their carpet done. Mums been wanting to do hers but was a little bit on the fence as to which colour/tone etc. But she know knows what she wants seeing a place done, not just a sample. And invited her neighbors over for coffee after spruking her lighting upgrade. Both penthouses are identical. And her neighbors are now wanting to get the same done. So whilst i did the advising, the one thing i thought would go in one ear and out the other my mum didnt forget. Its simple. And thats simple. Keep in the cupboard 1 box of each different fitting or lamp for reference. So her neighbor took a photo of the specs. And specs for light fittings dont mean **** to 90% of people, but if its what you want but dunno head to toe about light fittings, it saves paying someone to make the executive decision.
I once just for fun put a 5° pencil spot LED in my house. It was funny, but absolutely useless. So i reckon 90° 3k LED downlights compared to the 60° halogen dichroics is a much better lighting design.
Old 26-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #3071
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
image image

What made me feel good today? Sharing your day, what a great son you are....good on you.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #3072
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Good to have the next 5 days off.

2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #3073
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Realising the V8's are on this weekend and i am actually home to watch them
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #3074
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
image image

Mate, cherished times, you made my day again as well.
We're guilty complaining about the oldies, how moments in time you reflect you should do this should have done that.
Some are unfortunate having lost 1 or both long before the old ageing process.
Were lucky the ones who have either still around depending your vintage.
I saw mine again yesterday and Sunday just passed.
92/88yrs and still living on their own, I feel good everyday for they are here or just a call away or visit.
On the other hand my wife lost her Dad during covid at 91yrs and Mum half ok in the Nursing home 90yrs.
Whole different ball game BUT lucky she's still with us.
I love seeing her as well.
My wife has built up a album of pictures and mobile video discussions with her parents in these later years, its amazing stuff to hear back on worth doing.
Take care of him CB till you can and enjoy every moment, homes have that ending path feeling.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2021, 04:55 PM   #3075
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Realising the V8's are on this weekend and i am actually home to watch them
I might just have to visit the cemetary next door on a pretence and look over the fence again.

This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #3076
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Some are now saying Winton is cancelled... bah humbug !!
Old 27-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #3077
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Some are now saying Winton is cancelled... bah humbug !!
https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...n-supersprint/
Old 27-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #3078
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camping in the far north Tokerau Bay, and seeing another blood moon floating on the horizon. Phone pic doesn't do it justice it was real clear and bright red/orange.

Last edited by five 7; 27-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #3079
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 28-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #3080
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of a sweet and sour moment.
I'd frozen a 6 pack of hot cross buns (because I love them) and would have one as a treat now and then.
Had the last one today,had it hot with melted butter and a cup of coffee, noice.
Life's simple pleasures.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #3081
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Swapped a H4 out on a neighbours Territory as he couldnt work out how... bloody battery side as well and said screw it did both sides as a precaution!

Pulled the dipstick and yep not a drop on it...

Topped it up and advised him to give it a service as it has done 22oookm's since last time it was checked

So next week i have scored a gig servicing this thing, made me feel good because advice is free and i can't blame him for being slack as money has been very tight for him since covid hit.

My garage is always open and has been ever since i started having a crack at things myself, i don't mind if people can't pay as long as we can have a beer together

The sexy neighbour's Nissan Murano with the cvt transmission that's another story for another time
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 06:58 PM   #3082
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

40+ km bicycle ride.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #3083
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
40+ km bicycle ride.
Masochism
Old 30-05-2021, 05:32 AM   #3084
slowsnake
Banned

Not hearing the damn rain on my roof! Got to change my neighbours transaxle/gearbox oil this morning.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #3085
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Beaut last day of Autumn was perfect to ride the cycle trail from Benalla to Mokoan / Winton Wetlands.

On the way out passing the huge Melbourne skyrail plant. Picture doesn't do justice to the size of these cranes.

Some canal bridges to cross this one is the back dirt road to Glenrowan.

Pleasant 30km ride.... errr 5 km ride being Victoria.

Old 31-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #3086
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Spending a fair bit of time in a heavily Asian (Chinese and Korean) part of Sydney I’ve got used to indifferent traffic manners.

My approach is to show extra courtesy to the older folks, in the hope they eventually drill the young ones to give a little. Today I slowed, approaching a pedestrian crossing where a young couple stood, they smiled and gestured for me to drive through. I can’t take credit for it alone, but it’s good to see the “population one” mindset may be diminishing.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #3087
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happy: TIL there's a merc w124 coupe, the 300ce 24, never knew until recently they even existed as I've only heard about the SL coupe like r107 and r129 or whatever same vintage coupe with v8 option
sad: was one for 11k (most are over 20k), it didn't last long, wish it was local but it was in QLD anyway I think

E:
Happy: it's back up on carsales, and it's actually not in QLD
sad: It's in Vic

Last edited by oldel; 31-05-2021 at 09:33 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #3088
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Spending a fair bit of time in a heavily Asian (Chinese and Korean) part of Sydney I’ve got used to indifferent traffic manners.

My approach is to show extra courtesy to the older folks, in the hope they eventually drill the young ones to give a little. Today I slowed, approaching a pedestrian crossing where a young couple stood, they smiled and gestured for me to drive through. I can’t take credit for it alone, but it’s good to see the “population one” mindset may be diminishing.
There's a pedestrian crossing on site where I work that leads from the carpark to the main office building. It's on the main road that runs from the entrance gate to the mine, so can be busy at times and also gets some pretty heavy machinery.

Whenever I approach the crossing, I always look to see if there's any traffic coming, and if there's only a singular vehicle, especially a heavy one, I just slow my approach so that they can continue on without having to slow down and stop for me whilst I cross.

Seems to surprise a lot of drivers, but I just see it as being courteous. I see it as being much easier for me to slow down than what it is for them to slow down and stop.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #3089
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Fleabay win. My daily’s cabin fan was trying to set the car on fire yesterday; brushes worn, commutator eroded, speed regulator transistors failed.

For the usual landed cost of a new speed control module I found an NOS complete fan unit with the module. Added it to my watch list Wednesday night while I considered if there were better options.

Couldn’t think of any, and then out of the blue, the seller tendered one of those “private offers” less 20% on price. Done, and at £10 less than expected.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #3090
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Myself and a few others are participating in the Pushup Challenge, where teams are completing 3,318 pushups over 25 days, to both fundraise for and put a spotlight on mental health. The target of 3,318 represents the number of Australians who died by suicide in 2019.

Yesterday's target was 105. This equated to the minutes of sunshine a day that is recommended to reduce distress. 15 minutes by 7 days in a week is 105 minutes.

I achieved the target yesterday. Never thought I'd be able to do 105 pushups in one day!

Shoulders and arms are sore today, so I'm substituting them with situps and squats.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: