Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2023, 11:26 PM   #31
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Making a Barra sound good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
It's the new 3.8L Ecotec V6

Mang never dies, it just reincarnates

Quote of the Week.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2023, 09:43 AM   #32
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk to some of the speedway boys. There's quite a few lethal sounding barras in those surrounds.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2023, 03:15 PM   #33
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I guess there's also sounding good and keeping it relatively legal / streetable, and then there's making it sound amazing but being a rolling defect.. Most with dump pipes/exhausts, battery relocation kits and intercoolers which make these sound good are easily seen and defectable. Depends on exactly what your after I suppose.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
I guess there's also sounding good and keeping it relatively legal / streetable, and then there's making it sound amazing but being a rolling defect.. Most with dump pipes/exhausts, battery relocation kits and intercoolers which make these sound good are easily seen and defectable. Depends on exactly what your after I suppose.
Very valid points ill agree.
I have a few of what you have mentioned (battery relo/exhaust) whilst not legal they arent over the top either IMO.
Ive not had any hassle from the plod. I guess it comes down to how you drive. (not saying you do anything wrong) I have been pulled over for RBT's and what not with no issues.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 23-08-2023 at 06:59 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2023, 11:11 PM   #35
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

What's illegal about a battery relocation kit if the airbox is fully enclosed?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #36
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
What's illegal about a battery relocation kit if the airbox is fully enclosed?
Ive thought that also, mines fully enclosed. Just assumed they weren't legal.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 10:01 AM   #37
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I didnt mention airbox but there aren't many intercoolers that don't require cutting of some kind, as soon as you touch a dump and high flow cat the boys in blue can potentially not like it, and battery relo to the boot is also a no no here in SA. So pretty much all the usual go fast bolt on for us turbo boys! If they want to go hard on you with these they can. That's without coilovers, dark window etc etc haha. Im just too old and can't be bothered with all of that anymore hence why iv just a few sleeper mods to mine and i'm content.
Old 24-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #38
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I guess you can get the above engineered fairly easily but in reality due to the high cost and effort required not many are.
Old 24-08-2023, 10:52 AM   #39
JGP

Ultrex full SS exhaust, Antz performance battery relocation kit & 4" pulsar 3682 turbo got my bf sounding the way I wanted.
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #40
HIPO
Al

Wonder how a Lukey LR2779 muffler would work..... nice subtle deeper growl....if they still make them!.... was the only thing that made a V6 Magna sound ok back in the day.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #41
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
I didnt mention airbox but there aren't many intercoolers that don't require cutting of some kind, as soon as you touch a dump and high flow cat the boys in blue can potentially not like it, and battery relo to the boot is also a no no here in SA. So pretty much all the usual go fast bolt on for us turbo boys! If they want to go hard on you with these they can. That's without coilovers, dark window etc etc haha. Im just too old and can't be bothered with all of that anymore hence why iv just a few sleeper mods to mine and i'm content.
S.A. is so lax compared to other states. I don't intend on relocating my battery to the boot in either of my cars. I plan on putting it where the old airbox sat.

I don't like the look of crossover pipes. They're unsightly and make the engine look cluttered. Turbo induction noise and more response is another big bonus.

Dump and cat should only be an issue if it infringes upon emissions, which, most probably it would. However, running no cat would be deemed far worse!

I agree about the intercooler, which is why I have a PWR for my FG, so I don't have to cut that dicky little piece of plastic that runs near the radiator support panel.

The older I get, the more I enjoy doing the things I wanted to do (but didn't have the money) when I was younger with the added bonus of looking more "mature". 🙃
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2023, 08:01 PM   #42
JGP

Short spool, idle intake & exhaust sound.
https://youtube.com/shorts/VpvDBsW7ENw?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/ZwioarvMMRw?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/FQIwDOF13QI?feature=share
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #43
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Are those videos of your car?
Old 05-09-2023, 10:02 PM   #44
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even having different bends can change the noise. The first step to it sounding like the Mustang is to replicate the layout of it which you cant on the Falcon floorpan.

My best exhaust sound was 4” dump pipe, Outlaw 200 cell cat and stock FG catback. Once I went down the catback path it was never as good (Manta twin and Xforce single)
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2023, 10:19 PM   #45
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Even having different bends can change the noise. The first step to it sounding like the Mustang is to replicate the layout of it which you cant on the Falcon floorpan.

My best exhaust sound was 4” dump pipe, Outlaw 200 cell cat and stock FG catback. Once I went down the catback path it was never as good (Manta twin and Xforce single)
The closest thing would be to have a 4" merge to a twin 3" and then have two seperate read mufflers, like a V8 exhaust. I'm pretty sure that has been done at some point, though.

As for your setup, the stock catback doesn't sound bad, but it's just too quiet. I'm currently running a 14" straight-thru centre muffler in the stock FG exhaust and it sounds reasonable.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:27 AM   #46
JGP

Quote:
Are those videos of your car?
Sure is
Old 07-09-2023, 10:00 AM   #47
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGP View Post
Sure is
Is that the Ultrex single muffler setup?
Old 07-09-2023, 10:47 AM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats quite good, its not really loud out the exhaust but it still has the nice spooling noises.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 07:19 AM   #49
JGP

Quote:
Is that the Ultrex single muffler setup?
Yes, this one: https://www.ultrex.com.au/ford-falco...exhaust-system
Old 14-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #50
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having had a BF11 and now an FG11 both dedicated gas can you please clarify what a barra is?
Old 14-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #51
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Making a Barra sound good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
having had a BF11 and now an FG11 both dedicated gas can you please clarify what a barra is?
Any inline 6 cylinder engine from the BA Falcon onwards.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 07:12 PM   #52
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Any inline 6 cylinder engine from the BA Falcon onwards.
When Ford launched the BA Falcon, Ford also launched a new naming structure for the powertrain lineup. Picking up on the overall code name for the new BA Falcon, most of the engines picked up the "Barra" reference.

The 4.0 DOHC Inline 6 became known as the Barra 182 (the N/A), the new turbo variant named Barra 240T. DLPG became known as EGAS.

The 5.4 SOHC engine was known as the Barra 220, the 5.4 DOHC engines Boss 260 or Boss 290.

For BF, the refreshed power outputs were reflected in the names, Barra 190 (N/A), Barra 230 (SOHC V8), Barra 245T (turbo). (FPV engines stayed as before)

For the FG Falcon, Ford dropped the Barra nomenclature across all engines, but most still referred to the 4.0 as the Barra. If you want to be factually correct, the engines were actually codenamed Orion.

And yes, I do store all this pointless information in my head at the expense of remembering people's names and birthdays.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 07:26 PM   #53
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
When Ford launched the BA Falcon, Ford also launched a new naming structure for the powertrain lineup. Picking up on the overall code name for the new BA Falcon, most of the engines picked up the "Barra" reference.

The 4.0 DOHC Inline 6 became known as the Barra 182 (the N/A), the new turbo variant named Barra 240T. DLPG became known as EGAS.

The 5.4 SOHC engine was known as the Barra 220, the 5.4 DOHC engines Boss 260 or Boss 290.

For BF, the refreshed power outputs were reflected in the names, Barra 190 (N/A), Barra 230 (SOHC V8), Barra 245T (turbo). (FPV engines stayed as before)

For the FG Falcon, Ford dropped the Barra nomenclature across all engines, but most still referred to the 4.0 as the Barra. If you want to be factually correct, the engines were actually codenamed Orion.

And yes, I do store all this pointless information in my head at the expense of remembering people's names and birthdays.
Fair enough, too. There's only so much capacity for the storage of information, and you have to get your priorities right

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2023, 07:29 PM   #54
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Fair enough, too. There's only so much capacity for the storage of information, and you have to get your priorities right
Plant names, car and mower facts/figures, detailing products.............I only have so much room up there. Your name is Bob isn't it? No, wait, John.................oh, um.................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2023, 09:38 PM   #55
66 coupe
around the place

heres one i prepared earlier

hopefully the link works
https://www.facebook.com/771372522/v...9100259719093/
Old 23-09-2023, 05:28 PM   #56
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 coupe View Post
heres one i prepared earlier

hopefully the link works
https://www.facebook.com/771372522/v...9100259719093/
That does sound tough. What exhaust setup is it running?
Old 23-09-2023, 06:47 PM   #57
66 coupe
around the place

single 3.5" straight thru
Old 29-09-2023, 02:14 PM   #58
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never heard a falcon 6 cyl sound good ever, keep them quiet and that's good.
A mate had a XC 4.1L we dubbed it the Baaap Baaarp ! No class regarding the noise stakes. Same but worse with the 4.0L 6 cyl.
The Loud 3.6L V6 Holden are shocking sound as well, can't stand that noise.

Their was a 5.7L Gen 3 getting about around my place, single exhaust sounded like a drain pipe with no class at all but it sure did go well, the moron was totally flat to the boards every time. Totally mental ! 500hp at least.

Tho i do like the stock 4.0L 6sp auto FG I would not bother to mod the exhaust as they perform well regardless, just put 95 octane in them they go well.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2023, 05:44 PM   #59
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=mick taylor;6842284]I have never heard a falcon 6 cyl sound good ever, keep them quiet and that's good.
A mate had a XC 4.1L we dubbed it the Baaap Baaarp ! No class regarding the noise stakes. Same but worse with the 4.0L 6 cyl.
The Loud 3.6L V6 Holden are shocking sound as well, can't stand that noise.

XM 170, triple strombergs, a bit of a cam, from the Y pipe at the headers, attach a pipe, 2" tapering to 4" over 38". The sound was awesome, bouncing of the wall of the speedway. Apparently sounded OK in the spectator areas as well.
Old 29-09-2023, 05:53 PM   #60
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I dunno, prior to the crossflow in the 70's you could get a decent noise out of the humble falcon six... It just seems that the pursuit of performance and efficiency have made it that much harder to get a nice noise to go along with it... Damn progress!

I don't mind most barras I hear out and about and some do sound rather splendid.. But, there is the odd droning, farting, head scratching shocker as well. I'll stick with the older gen tech I think.

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: