Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2023, 06:09 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Going American

Plenty of people already park like that - my local council barely bothers anymore.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #32
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
F250/F350 are Isuzu N series competitors - thats the way to market those.

Problem is with the conversion they're not cost competitive, but they offer a different point to the market.

https://www.content.isuzu.com.au/new...-sales-record/

IAL dominates that segment and has for years, maybe Ford Australia should introduce a 'Ford Truck' range which has the Superduty that plays in the light/medium rigid segment - F600 has a GVM of just shy of 10 tonnes and could compete with the N series stuff, the point of difference being way more powerful engines.

First the Jap trucks took out the Pom trucks
Then the Jap trucks took out any Aus and USA trucks except Acco
Acco finally died

Look how poorly the Euro s do in the low weight segments

It’s all about reliability and cost of ownership
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2023, 07:55 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
First the Jap trucks took out the Pom trucks
Then the Jap trucks took out any Aus and USA trucks except Acco
Acco finally died

Look how poorly the Euro s do in the low weight segments

It’s all about reliability and cost of ownership
ACCO is still around, its just a rigid version of the IVECO S-Way I think, its a shared platform with one of their other trucks they've just slapped the ACCO badge on it (ACCO E6) for our market in an attempt to pull the wool over our eyes

Exactly like Holden and the ZB 'Commodore'.

F600 would be good for all the lighter tilt tray/tilt slides/tipper and that sort of thing

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...odels/f600-xl/

Starts at $57K USD, diesel one has 1300NM on par with E6 ACCO.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-11-2023 at 08:03 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #34
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ACCO is still around, its just a rigid version of the IVECO S-Way I think, its a shared platform with one of their other trucks they've just slapped the ACCO badge on it (ACCO E6) for our market in an attempt to pull the wool over our eyes

Exactly like Holden and the ZB 'Commodore'.

F600 would be good for all the lighter tilt tray/tilt slides/tipper and that sort of thing

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...odels/f600-xl/

Starts at $57K USD, diesel one has 1300NM on par with E6 ACCO.
Yeah current Acco is a built in Europe job

Guess yeah the tow operators might go for those have one or two in their fleet for image reasons
Old 19-11-2023, 08:46 PM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
This current Expedition is based heavily on F150, so could share many of its conversion parts

I dunno whether Explorer/Aviator twins would get enough takers to make conversions viable.

Super Duty F250 & F350 would be another possible choice but wonder if prices would be too expensive
If you've got the line running already, maybe it isn't that expensive to add more models?
Old 19-11-2023, 09:04 PM   #36
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We did a month in 2011 in Vancouver as a family snow/Christmas holiday with the mums and the kids, got a (then new model) Grand Cherokee as the LHD hire car, and it was really quite nice. Light steering, solid feel, easy to park. I kept reaching for the seatbelt in the middle of the car.

The whole car culture there was exciting, all the big F150 trucks, the massive Escalades and Expeditions. Canada is a snowy place so AWD was important.

So I look at the new Grand Cherokee range, which is on sale in Oz and (hold reliability/depreciation/not a Cruiser/price is up/interior not solid! aside) and it seems they've created and marketed a really competitive product.

If you just want a big wagon you get the Night Hawk L, you get AWD with this and decent length in the car. As you go up the range you get offroad goodies like dual range transfers, air suspension, locking diffs, electronic diffs... as much or little as you want, and it all looks pretty plush and comfortable. Petrol 6 (the Pentastar gets everything from 'shocking plastic parts pos' to 'best and most economical, reliable 6 I ever owned' - and it's still port injected in 2023 - yay). I enjoyed driving the early version hire car Pentastar back in 2011 - torquey, the gearbox would drop early and it would glide around town at just over 1000 revs. There's also a PHEV version so you can have some LWB F Off Americana in Oz at 3.2L/100km, but it seems at a price currently. Here's the entry model:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...22415988/?Cr=0

No affiliation with Jeep, haha, just want a petrol 6 AWD and surprised I found these. Haven't had a Mopar since my $800 VG Valiant unlicenced coupe back in the 90s.

Last edited by Sprintey; 19-11-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2023, 09:18 PM   #37
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I've said this a number of times, but after interacting with Americans on various forums, there is a general lack of awareness of the world around them. And that's not just cars, but any topic you care to mention. In other words, a very self absorbed and oblivious society.

For cars, I always laugh when someone from Ford or GM talk about their product being of "global" quality or "globally competitive" when said product is not sold outside of the US market. To me that is just so arrogantly ignorant, almost as if they consider America to be "the world" and the only ones that matter.
Americans are ****s.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2023, 09:40 PM   #38
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still doesn't look like they care about making a centre console for RHD despite the electric park brake either.

Are there many others that don't do this?

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2023, 08:19 AM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Look at all that useless bonnet area which could be payload space.
Cabovers are king. Hence why the Jap trucks are so popular as tilt trays in and around cities.

Yanks love their huge hoods and uselessly long wheelbases on trucks that have half the payload capacity of ours.

Only got to look at their 250in WB 389 Peterbilt's pulling one trailer. They talk of 50 000lb being a large load.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #40
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Still doesn't look like they care about making a centre console for RHD despite the electric park brake either.

Are there many others that don't do this?

Never driven one so what makes this layout an issue for RHD....I'm guessing a lhd indicator stalk would cause more issues if it uses a LHD setup...and in my own case, the MB Vito handbrake release is in a similar position to the Territory bonnet release....it's funny what you do from memory as I drive the Vito every day and the Terry once a week.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2023, 02:23 PM   #41
DK30RB

Quote:
And this is why the Australian market is still waiting for the S650 Mustang to arrive despite being on sale in the US for months now, and we won't see the car until the middle of next year.............in other words, nearly two years after being unveiled.

Compare that to say Hyundai, Mazda or Toyota, they seem able to launch a car on a global basis, spread across a month or two, not a year or two!

And quality on an American built Ford? Ha ha ha, what quality? Ask any Endura owner about their experience, I even had a customer tell me that his new car was replaced twice, so third time lucky? And don't get me started on screwing cars together with body panels that align, everyone except Ford can do that.
I've owned a number of USA and Australian built fords. (11 Falcon's from EA to FGX and lots in between)

2 F150's 2020 and 2023(current) and Still have a 2018 FN Mustang GT.

My experience would suggest that the American built fords have been more reliable and trouble free. Sure, nothing is 100% perfect, but better than some of the Falcon's i've owned.

Maybe i'm the exception to the norm.

Owned a few Euro's -Now thats very Hit and Miss. You luck out or you don't..
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2023, 11:44 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Cabovers are king. Hence why the Jap trucks are so popular as tilt trays in and around cities.

Yanks love their huge hoods and uselessly long wheelbases on trucks that have half the payload capacity of ours.

Only got to look at their 250in WB 389 Peterbilt's pulling one trailer. They talk of 50 000lb being a large load.
How many bonneted trucks are there in the 4495-10,000kg GVM category available in our market? Go 5500-10,000kg GVM

Maybe we exclude 4495kg because they're technically not 'trucks'.

Aren't their HCs limited to 36 tonnes/80,000lbs by law? If so of course their perspectives are going to be different than ours.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-11-2023 at 11:54 PM.
Old 22-11-2023, 01:53 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
How many bonneted trucks are there in the 4495-10,000kg GVM category available in our market? Go 5500-10,000kg GVM

Maybe we exclude 4495kg because they're technically not 'trucks'.

Aren't their HCs limited to 36 tonnes/80,000lbs by law? If so of course their perspectives are going to be different than ours.
4.495T GVM not trucks ?? WTF are you talking about.

Old 22-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #44
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If he’s talking GCM not GVM, perhaps a dig at the upcoming Effies.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If he’s talking GCM not GVM, perhaps a dig at the upcoming Effies.
If he's talking GCM it would be more like a Falcon towing a box trailer.

Old 22-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #46
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Isnt under 4500 gvm a car license?
Old 22-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Isnt under 4500 gvm a car license?
yes, but there are plenty of 2-3T cabover Jap trucks in that category. My small one for instance tares @ 1500kg.

Last edited by roKWiz; 22-11-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 22-11-2023, 04:55 PM   #48
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes, but there are plenty of 2-3T cabover Jap trucks in that category. My small one for instance tares @ 1500kg.
And the Americans
Silverado
F150
Ram

Maybe he realised the market to 4500 GVM is stacked. With choice

So are Thai specials utes or trucks?
Old 22-11-2023, 05:06 PM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
And the Americans
Silverado
F150
Ram

Maybe he realised the market to 4500 GVM is stacked. With choice

So are Thai specials utes or trucks?
IMO anything that is not rated to specifically to carry goods is NOT a truck., never was never will be.

I honestly don't know what he is talking about, I guess he'll be here later to tell me.

Old 22-11-2023, 06:25 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Trucks start at GVM greater than 4500kg last time I checked, everything below is an LCV, otherwise Thailand Specials are 'trucks' too
Old 22-11-2023, 06:40 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Trucks start at GVM greater than 4500kg last time I checked, everything below is an LCV
You can have a tow/tray/pantec/tipper truck under 4.5T gvm otherwise Isuzu/UD wouldn't be selling so many trucks in the car licence size.

My Vic rego's papers still state Ford tray truck under 4.495T. Mazda pantec truck under 4.495T.

Old 22-11-2023, 07:02 PM   #52
mickeymouse
Starter Motor

Quote:
For cars, I always laugh when someone from Ford or GM talk about their product being of "global" quality or "globally competitive" when said product is not sold outside of the US market. To me that is just so arrogantly ignorant, almost as if they consider America to be "the world" and the only ones that matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FyGpCHjaIAEULZj.jpg (30.1 KB, 144 views)
mickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2023, 08:52 PM   #53
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’m in the country and generally parking is pretty easy. F truck and RAM owners just park in 2 or sometimes 4 car parks.

New York City sure was tight on parking. I don’t think I saw a straight car parked on the street. Most had several battle scars.

Why does it seem that the smaller the car the worse the driver is at parking?
Because people who buy tiny cars often don’t know how to drive so they buy a small car due to their lack of confidence. There’s 3 types of vehicles that need two lanes to make a left hand turn. Trucks, buses, and tiny hatchbacks.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2023, 07:51 PM   #54
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F-150 deliveries started now

https://www.drive.com.au/news/austra...ace-predicted/
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2023, 11:35 PM   #55
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trucks start at GVM greater than 4500kg last time I checked, everything below is an LCV, otherwise Thailand Specials are 'trucks' too
'Heavy vehicles' start at 4500kg Franco. 'Trucks' can be under that I reckon, My Mitso Canter pantec has a 4495kg GVM and is listed as a truck by Qld Transport. I'd struggle to refer to it as a ute!
ozpacman is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2023, 06:00 AM   #56
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

I'd really like to see the F150 do well in Australia, but I just don't think that it will. Harrisons in Melton have been converting these things for decades and have sold plenty of them, although, in my opinion, many potential buyers of these "myself included" are not going to like "any" V6, regardless of how powerful Ford claim it to be. I bought a new DT RAM Laramie two years ago and it's an awesome bit of gear. Replacement cost for the Laramie is around $150 on the road and after seeing the interior and specs of the new F150, I'm not even going to bother looking at one. I'll be swapping my RAM next year for another, although, the next one will be a Limited as the options that I got on my Laramie are no longer available. Ford should be able to get people from a Ranger into one but I can't see many people who have a Silverado jumping the fence and Ford would probably have more luck brokering a peace deal in the middle east than getting any RAM owners to walk into their dealership.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2023, 11:42 AM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

They’re actually prevented from using A double and B double trailers, it’s just too dangerous
with so many lunatic drivers over there brake checking Semis as if that’s ever justified,
the country is full of angry knuckleheads that want to vent while driving…

In contrast, I think Canada permits multi trailers with similar restriction to Australia,
your point about cab overs is valid but I often wondered if having the front axle under the cab
made for a more bouncy ride on rough roads but the trade off with long hood long wheelbase
is just terrible when it comes to backing and manoeuvring, anyone stuck with a hood truck
will soon be disappointed with the shortcomings….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2023, 12:50 PM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
They’re actually prevented from using A double and B double trailers, it’s just too dangerous
with so many lunatic drivers over there brake checking Semis as if that’s ever justified,

In contrast, I think Canada permits multi trailers with similar restriction to Australia,
your point about cab overs is valid but I often wondered if having the front axle under the cab
made for a more bouncy ride on rough roads but the trade off with long hood long wheelbase
is just terrible when it comes to backing and manoeuvring, anyone stuck with a hood truck
That;s crap. Amazon, Walmart, UPS, FedEx and lots of others others all use doubles on the Westcoast and central area's. Eastcoast roads are less long truck friendly but even then they allow 53 foot and 9ft wide trailers.

None of this explains the super long wheelbase Pete's that are stupidly stretched to 300 in WB's. Back in the day those same stretched prime movers had a useful drom (Dromodary) box behind the cab for extra freight space but went out of fashion with the new steering wheel attendants.

Only reason hoods are popular there is manufacturers don't build what owner want, sound familiar, FORD. The Yanks are just dying to get their hands on K220's but Oz won't export them.

Old 26-11-2023, 01:04 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
That;s crap. Amazon, Walmart, UPS, FedEx and lots of others others all use doubles on the Westcoast and central area's. Eastcoast roads are less long truck friendly but even then they allow 53 foot and 9ft wide trailers.

None of this explains the super long wheelbase Pete's that are stupidly stretched to 300 in WB's. Back in the day those same stretched prime movers had a useful drom (Dromodary) box behind the cab for extra freight space but went out of fashion with the new steering wheel attendants.

Only reason hoods are popular there is manufacturers don't build what owner want, sound familiar, FORD. The Yanks are just dying to get their hands on K220's but Oz won't export them.
I can't believe this attitude, yes I understand Kenworth has enough business in Australia as it is with huge wait queues, but why would you ever turn down new customers? There's a market of 330M people who want your product, build a bigger factory and help your supply chain reach your requirements. Plus I'm sure if you expand the line your existing customers are going to be happy getting their $500,000 truck sooner rather than waiting 3 years.

I've never been happy with existing sales figures, celebrate your wins but it can always be more looking at different avenues and opportunities.
Old 26-11-2023, 01:06 PM   #60
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:

From my experience Australian drivers are far worse than yank drivers. Yes the Yanks drive fast but they also give each other room. They accept someone may want to travel at 80 miles an hour in a 65 zone and let people past. Contrast that to Australia where every driver thinks I’m doing 100 kmh so nobody has the right to pass.
The yanks will also let you merge onto a freeway instead of speeding up simply to block you.

But I only drove in California and Hawaii. Maybe it’s different in other states.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: