Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Holden - End of the Road

Good afternoon ladies, gentlemen, spaceships, unicorns and ASIO.

There is a 30 minute clip from the ABC about Holden winding up in Australia and at the end some commentary by the following 'experts':

- Some old bloke from ZZTop

- A motoring 'journalist'

- Some woman from Deloitte Access Economics who later admits she's never owned a Holden, knows nothing about cars other than you should buy the cheapest one because it loses its value the moment you drive it from the dealership then try use it as little as possible

- Some flog with a big nose who may have raced Holdens

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/holden...nd-of-the-road

Worth a watch, worth taking with a grain of salt.

Whats your opinion on why Holden failed in Australia?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 12:59 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden - End of the Road

It won’t let me watch it, but I’ll still comment. Ford and GM’s old strategy of making different products for different global regions just doesn’t make sense anymore. Ford had the advantage of already having a global brand. GM had to find a way of shrinking about 14 brands, and it may never get there. There’s also too much product and segment diversity, so it doesn’t make sense to invest $1 Billion for one model of car for one country. If you don’t invest that kind of money into a car, you might as well not even play. If I were GM, I would make Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Hummer all global brands. Then they have to figure out what those brands represent. Reinventing Hummer as an EV off-road brand is smart. But doing all of that is much easier said than done. It cost GM about $1 Billion to close Oldsmobile, and I would expect it to cost a lot to close Holden. But rebranding Holden dealers as Chevy, Cadillac, and Hummer should have been on the table in my opinion.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
It won’t let me watch it, but I’ll still comment. Ford and GM’s old strategy of making different products for different global regions just doesn’t make sense anymore. Ford had the advantage of already having a global brand. GM had to find a way of shrinking about 14 brands, and it may never get there. There’s also too much product and segment diversity, so it doesn’t make sense to invest $1 Billion for one model of car for one country. If you don’t invest that kind of money into a car, you might as well not even play. If I were GM, I would make Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Hummer all global brands. Then they have to figure out what those brands represent. Reinventing Hummer as an EV off-road brand is smart. But doing all of that is much easier said than done. It cost GM about $1 Billion to close Oldsmobile, and I would expect it to cost a lot to close Holden. But rebranding Holden dealers as Chevy, Cadillac, and Hummer should have been on the table in my opinion.
Keep in mind that GM just abandoned all RHD markets.

Including India - a market with 1.4B people.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 01:19 AM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Yeah I don’t really get it. Either they are blaming their mistakes on the markets, or they don’t believe they have the capital to invest on a global scale, and they have no choice but to reduce their footprint.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was from a couple of months ago. I watched it then because I thought I might see and hear something interesting.
About as watchable as a Greta in a bikini, and as informative.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Good afternoon ladies, gentlemen, spaceships, unicorns and ASIO.

There is a 30 minute clip from the ABC about Holden winding up in Australia and at the end some commentary by the following 'experts':

- Some old bloke from ZZTop

- A motoring 'journalist'

- Some woman from Deloitte Access Economics who later admits she's never owned a Holden, knows nothing about cars other than you should buy the cheapest one because it loses its value the moment you drive it from the dealership then try use it as little as possible

- Some flog with a big nose who may have raced Holdens

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/holden...nd-of-the-road

Worth a watch, worth taking with a grain of salt.

Whats your opinion on why Holden failed in Australia?
Interesting to watch . Some good points made , even by Skaife if that's possible . The bloke with the beard I was most interested in because they're the ones that would take the end of Holden the hardest . I used to think about betrayal by Holden and Ford to the rank and file once but as I've been educated on AFF I look at it a bit different now .
I think we were a bit of a special case by both brands that allowed us for numerous decades to have huge input into cars for Australia and that were only really found here . It tickles me nowadays though that people overseas comment on videos about our cars and how they wish they had them there .
In the U.S. the Commodore via Pontiac and Chevy have a bit of a cult via limited export over three runs . They have a loyal following and many of the owners often pay plenty of bucks to rebadge the cars with Holden ones. A little bit the same with the U.K fans via Vauxhall . Thanks for posting .

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-04-2020 at 10:08 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
they don’t believe they have the capital to invest on a global scale, and they have no choice but to reduce their footprint.

^^^This ^^^
I reckon GM are circling the Drain (Again)& will be just a minnow in the Automotive World in a Few Years Time..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

rubbish in rubbish out
Old 20-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #9
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More crap from supposedly the most trusted news source in Australia, in 1983 Holden lost the crown.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo

GM pulled out of India quite a while ago. More than 12 months ago from what I can recall. That decision was not made at the same time as Holden. But that decision, along with South Africa around the same time as India, and Europe, which was another 2 or 3 years before that, resulted in the decision to kill Holden off, due to such low RHD volume. Holdens sales being in the toilet just sped the decision up. Remember GM built RHD Acadia's and Equinox's pretty much solely for NZ and Australia, and they considered the potential sales figures to be enough to justify making them in RHD. But both those cars flopped, so GM knew they would never be able to justify making anymore cars in RHD. I have no freaking idea how they think the RHD Corvette was viable. I'd be really surprised if it isn't canned now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was watching cadogans report on GM vs the dealers, it seems GM wants to kick the can down the road by extending out its separation payments to dealers...... what Mary Barra isn’t saying is, I reckon they’re gonna go broke again.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=danzvtil;6429582 ...... what Mary Barra isn’t saying is, I reckon they’re gonna go broke again.[/QUOTE]

I hope they do, won't be any loss to Australia now that Holden are as useful as a dead parrot.
Virgin are now the 'new GMH', another foreign owned company looking for a taxpayer bail-out before the inevitable.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #13
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I was watching cadogans report on GM vs the dealers, it seems GM wants to kick the can down the road by extending out its separation payments to dealers...... what Mary Barra isn’t saying is, I reckon they’re gonna go broke again.
Yup. You'd have to be crazy to agree to those terms. GM will just walk away and their 10 year obligation on parts and service.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post