Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #91
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW mobile phone detection cameras

People should not use a hand held phone when driving, end of story.
But the law goes to the point of trying to be Nazi type of load of crap, oh you touched your phone, busted ! you were not using it ! f off.
I may just look to see who is ringing and I am like are f him or I will pull up and ring back as soon as I can find a spot.

But for the lowest denominator we all have to pay the price of Nazi like dictating laws and I can understand just how stupid some people are and agree with such that some people should not have a phone in the car at all, because they truly are idiots and shocking on the road regardless, not to mention far worse that many people at .05 that's a fact.

But if I just flick the phone over to glance who it is at the appropriate time mind nothing wrong with that at all. you would not want to pick your nose or touch the radio as you have just adverted your attention for 1 second, better not blink or be over 50yo regardless next.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #92
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve not heard how this is tracking, now it’s officially live.

Does anyone know anyone in NSW who’s been pinged (and a penalty applied) by one of these covert cameras?

Still seeing heaps of drivers playing with phones in ways that appear to contravene the regs. I think slightly less than a few months ago, but still a lot.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #93
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve still not heard of anyone decisively nicked by these devices.

Was NSW sold “The finest robes, most befitting an Emperor”?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #94
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This is a serious post, a serious matter.

The NSW Government want to reverse the onus of proof upon people receiving a detection penalty in this category.

In other words, you will need to prove some days or weeks after an event, that you were not holding a mobile phone as alleged by the prosecution.

The only way I can realistically see this being possible is to run a full time in-car camera with audio (another few issues if anyone rides with you) and to securely archive footage for months. Cost and technical unfamiliarity will exclude a significant number of people from such facility.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #95
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if the NSW get short of funds they may as well send a notice to every rego number in the state.Most will argue but the others who think they might have been guilty will just pay up.Win win for the Govt!!
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #96
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This is a serious post, a serious matter.

The NSW Government want to reverse the onus of proof upon people receiving a detection penalty in this category.

In other words, you will need to prove some days or weeks after an event, that you were not holding a mobile phone as alleged by the prosecution.

The only way I can realistically see this being possible is to run a full time in-car camera with audio (another few issues if anyone rides with you) and to securely archive footage for months. Cost and technical unfamiliarity will exclude a significant number of people from such facility.
Just don't use your phone while driving

Haven't heard of anyone being wrongly accused. Have however, a few mates that have been done. I think these are great.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #97
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I already don’t use my phone when driving - thanks for the tip.

But what if I am stopped at the lights and pick up a fuel receipt which has come loose from where it’s clipped in the ashtray, in order to put it away more securely? I’m then holding something white, mobile-phone-sized.

Simply, I do not trust the technology to be accurate and believe this proposed amendment is a sop to poor implementation of a flawed strategy. I would rather more actual police were out and about.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #98
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Just don't use your phone while driving

Haven't heard of anyone being wrongly accused. Have however, a few mates that have been done. I think these are great.
Strawman argument - reversing proof is ridiculous, it's being done to undermine the system to discourage people from contesting fines.

If you've been fined for using your phone how about the government shows proof? They're the ones with the fancy camera system.

Someone gets accused of a rape or murder - prove you didn't commit the rape or murder, doesn't work that way bud, what happened to the presumption of innocent until proven guilty? A pillar of our society.

Might as well as be in Hong Kong - just don't mention independence so you don't end up getting your organs harvested in some Chinese gulag - easy.

Why do we even have police anymore? Let's just have cameras everywhere and then make people prove themselves innocent on accusations.

Slippery slope, give em an inch and they take a mile.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-07-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #99
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Strawman argument - reversing proof is ridiculous, it's being done to undermine the system to discourage people from contesting fines.

If you've been fined for using your phone how about the government shows proof? They're the ones with the fancy camera system.

Someone gets accused of a rape or murder - prove you didn't commit the rape or murder, doesn't work that way bud, what happened to the presumption of innocent until proven guilty? A pillar of our society.

Might as well as be in Hong Kong - just don't mention independence so you don't end up getting your organs harvested in some Chinese gulag - easy.

Why do we even have police anymore? Let's just have cameras everywhere and then make people prove themselves innocent on accusations.

Slippery slope, give em an inch and they take a mile.
Damn straight. I hope the civil libertarians go nuts over this (they can occasionally be useful )
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #100
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Damn straight. I hope the civil libertarians go nuts over this (they can occasionally be useful )
#Metoo

But because it's related to road rules everyone seems to take everything they do as some safety initiative instead of seeing it as the revenue raising exercise it actually is.

Have your fancy phone detection cameras - my issue is the proof changing to the receiver of the fine rather than on the government.

If they were fussed about the safety aspects of phone usage wrhile driving make it 10 points, $7500 bucks and see how many people roll the dice at those odds.

It's just a turd slapped in egg rolled in some flour and breadcrumbs for good measure.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #101
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite frankly,the more they catch the merrier & happier I will be!
Old 07-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #102
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Quite frankly,the more they catch the merrier & happier I will be!
If they are caught fair and square by the police, then yes.

If they are relying on some dodgy camera that gives false positives, and then they say it's up to the receiver of the fine to prove they are innocent, then no, that is complete bull****. Disgraceful conduct imo.

Our justice system was founded on innocent until proven guilty. I don't know how this stuff can bypass that principal.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #103
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If they are relying on some dodgy camera that gives false positives, and then they say it's up to the receiver of the fine to prove they are innocent, then no, that is complete bull****. Disgraceful conduct imo.

Our justice system was founded on innocent until proven guilty. I don't know how this stuff can bypass that principal.
Sorry,do not (respectfully) agree.Catch em,any way you can!
Old 07-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #104
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You maybe right Hackney,catch them all,BUT do it legally,don’t just send off a bill to everyone who got photographed holding something in their hand,might be a cup of coffee or a sandwich. I agree with Franco hit em hard,$1000 fine 1st time, 30 days loss of licence 2nd time and so on,but do it legally,don’t put the onus on the driver to prove their innocence,that is not the way the Westminster justice system is supposed to work.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #105
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I've been rear ended on two occasions by driver's on phones and as far as I'm concerned fine them, fine them big then take their licence away for a while.

But even though I have an intense dislike of people who drive while on the phone I do believe they should be treated as innocent until proven guilty and the onus should be on the State Government to prove the driver broke the law and not the other way around.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #106
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

Is there any evidence that these systems are generating a significant proportion of false positives or are you just postulating? The whole premise of your argument is based around this 'If' statement.

if the above is proven, then I'd agree with you. If it's not, then I support the technology.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #107
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney
So you think it's ok to send innocent people fines for no reason?

Would you agree if you got a fine in the mail, and never touch your phone while driving? I'll bet you would change your tune pretty quickly.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #108
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Is there any evidence that these systems are generating a significant proportion of false positives or are you just postulating? The whole premise of your argument is based around this 'If' statement.

if the above is proven, then I'd agree with you. If it's not, then I support the technology.
I think if they are changing their tune, and making the driver prove their innocence, then they know they are getting false positives.

Might only be a small number, who knows for sure, but I reckon they have. Just have a think about it. How can a camera mounted a fair distance away be able to tell the difference between a phone, and a phone shaped/size object in someones hand. It can't be 100% accurate. No way in hell.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #109
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ns...3-605bc9d71a44
Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #110
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This phone thing is like the speed camera fines where if a car is detected going too fast,but the number plate is a bit hard to read the dept will send out a fine to whoever owns a rego that looks like the photo.As an example- BOSS travelling from Geelong to Melb everyday around 4.30pm.Gets a speeding fine in the mail dated a couple of weeks earlier.What does he do?Probably thinks oh well, must have been going a bit fast that day,so I better pay up.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #111
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Tell that to the bloke in gaol for the murder of Peter Falconnio, no body and some dodgy evidence base on his dodgy girlfriend.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #112
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the photos that I have seen on the TV news, if you are holding something that looks like a mobile phone, it is 99% a mobile phone.
A MarsBar, hamburger, cup of coffee, stubby of beer, or packet of chips, do not look like a mobile phone, but they can be just as distracting as a phone.
Some states of the USA, drink-driving is an offence, not as we know it, just drinking water or any liquid is classed as drink-driving.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #113
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
From the photos that I have seen on the TV news, if you are holding something that looks like a mobile phone, it is 99% a mobile phone.
A MarsBar, hamburger, cup of coffee, stubby of beer, or packet of chips, do not look like a mobile phone, but they can be just as distracting as a phone.
Some states of the USA, drink-driving is an offence, not as we know it, just drinking water or any liquid is classed as drink-driving.
You may find that although not illegal to eat or drink whilst driving,you could be booked for careless driving
Old 07-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #114
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One detail people are missing is that you do not have to be “holding” the phone to be considered in breach, simply in contact with it. On your lap, or resting against your leg, are both open to prosecution as if you were holding it.

So you’ve been through the Macca’s driveway, you took out your wallet to pay with “tap and go”, as you’re strapped into the seat and there is a queue behind you, it seems courteous to get on the road and home. Wedge your wallet against your thigh on the seat cushion and drive away.

Camera gets you 100m later; phone resting against your leg. How the dickens will you prove the alleged phone was actually your wallet?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #115
marty351
Shenanigans..............

In a few years time, I can almost bet there will be a class action lawsuit against the govt.
Remember the fiasco in vic with the new laser speed detectors?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #116
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
One detail people are missing is that you do not have to be “holding” the phone to be considered in breach, simply in contact with it. On your lap, or resting against your leg, are both open to prosecution as if you were holding it.

So you’ve been through the Macca’s driveway, you took out your wallet to pay with “tap and go”, as you’re strapped into the seat and there is a queue behind you, it seems courteous to get on the road and home. Wedge your wallet against your thigh on the seat cushion and drive away.

Camera gets you 100m later; phone resting against your leg. How the dickens will you prove the alleged phone was actually your wallet?
I think they will rely on clear incriminating evidence to fine you.

The traditional phone in 1 hand resting in the palm with the thumb doing it's thing on the screen.

Oh, and they have changed the rules specifically for drive through situations like Macca's where you are allowed to hold your phone to pay or provide an app code for scanning.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #117
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I would like to believe you are right, but have nil trust in the government to do the right thing.

There’s been too much an element of concealment about the operation of these cameras. If they were so darned good and accurate, there’d be more and better “gotcha” pictures to strike fear into the heart of phoneaholics.

If the legislation passes, I will just have to put cameras in every car, work out the uploading details and storage duration.

Re the Maccas comment, my point was the confusion of a wallet with a phone beyond the venue, by a second-rate camera operated by first-rate money-grubbing muppets.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #118
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you think it's ok to send innocent people fines for no reason?

Would you agree if you got a fine in the mail, and never touch your phone while driving? I'll bet you would change your tune pretty quickly.
You can guarantee that nearly 100% were on the(or holding) phone.They will not win this in court.Further more,I have NEVER picked mine up! I have never comfortable with doing it,period.Hook it into your vehicles Bluetooth,how simple can that be? Obviously some people do not have the grey matter to do that.I make NO apologies for my statements.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:31 AM   #119
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Surprise surprise the Government is trying to avoid people contesting their fines because people are doing it in large numbers so they'll just change legislation so it's guilty unless proven innocent and it's on them to prove its not a phone.

Who saw that coming?

They don't seem too confident in their new fancy camera system if it's coming down to this.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #120
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
You can guarantee that nearly 100% were on the(or holding) phone.They will not win this in court.Further more,I have NEVER picked mine up! I have never comfortable with doing it,period.Hook it into your vehicles Bluetooth,how simple can that be? Obviously some people do not have the grey matter to do that.I make NO apologies for my statements.
What you are doing, and what they think you are doing may be completely different.
To be falsely accused of an offence because they "think or interpret" you committing an offence cannot fairly stand up in a court. Any government changing laws to deliberately bastardise the populace through intimidation should be removed by all legal means necessary.
As I said earlier, class actions, or even personal actions will end up with the govt paying. And at our expense.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: