Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 98 fuel expiry in take

How long will 98 fuel quality stay good in a car's tank?

With the lock down currently in place, a full tank might take 1 to 2 months to cycle through. Is that ok? Or should we avoid filling up full tank in any one time? Car is tuned to 98.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: 98 fuel expiry in take

Seems it will last about 3months or more.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better to have a full tank rather than 1/4 or 1/2 if you want it to stay fairly fresh for a few months.Don’t know about 98 but I had the old lawn mower with about 1/2 tank(probably a litre) still smelt alright and started with 2 pulls and ran good after sitting unused for at least 6 months
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My BA had 2-3 years between starts and ran fine on 91 but I don't recommend that.
3 months is a cake walk - people do that all the time (those that have long work or holiday periods or those with car collections). 6 months is considered pushing it by people that have had problems (mainly countries that freeze in winter), and a 98 tune would have that as a max limit. E: 98 is more stable than lower grades, so I've heard 9 months for degradation on that, so 6 months is considered safe.

Last edited by oldel; 25-04-2020 at 05:59 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Add some fuel stabiliser.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have an old car that hardly gets driven. Has sat for several years.

Here is what I did. kept the tank half full, filled a 5L jerry can with 98 and tipped it in before starting.

Started, babied it to a servo filled tank with more 98. Filled tyres to pressure.

Drive it around to flush out the cobwebs and to attend to servicing needs.

Parked and repeated every year.

In the first few years I used to add an octane booster to the 5L jerry can but I doubt it made much difference.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say keep it full. The biggest risk in fuel aging is oxidation and evaporation. The more fuel in the tank, the less air. And these days tanks are usually sealed up with canisters and purge valves plumbed to the intake rather than venting out.

The biggest problem with old fuel/storage has always been open pressure vents, carbies with open float bowls etc. A full tank in a modern sealed vent system has way less chance of going bad due to oxidation and evaporation.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use to be in the "keep the tank" full camp.

but it makes more sense to me now to keep 1/4 tank, and then fill with fresh fuel when I need it.

I have no idea how long the megalitres of 98 are stored in refineries, ships, trucks, or fuel station tanks, before i get it.

I did ask once at the servo, but they suddenly got very defensive, asking if I've damaged an engine, without answering the question of litres/ time between refills at the local servo. It was almost as if legal training had been provided...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to start mine the other day only use bp95 or 98 and its stuffed the pump and turned to solvent.new pump on order and giving the sta bil stuff ago as the is the 3rd pump now
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, unlucky. As I mentioned on 91 I had my ute parked from ~2012-2015, then again from 2015-2017. I've also run out of fuel twice but my pump seems a little trooper. I'm suprised mine hasn't failed.