Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Euro Fords

Hi Guys

I've been thinking about getting a fiesta as a 2nd car, and mainly because they have great economy around town. They look good too. I'm booked in Saturday for test drive. I really like the look of the fiesta so as much as I'd like XR8, around town, its not really an option. After having a chat with Ratt, he suggested looking at an LX and optioning it up to around the same price as a standard Zetec. Good idea. Firstly, i wanted to hear from other fiesta drivers and their opinions of the car as well as "must have" in the options. Plus anything to look out for and things I should be aware off. Manual or Auto. etc etc. So the 1st for me would be aircon. Can't have a modern car and no aircon. Colour I was thinking would be a light colour. My AUXR6 is in sillhouette. Nice colour, too hot in Summer.

I'd really like a focus, but the fiesta looks like great value for money and at around 6 k's per 100, its very attractive. We do about 350ks a week, so at the moment the XE falcon uses way too much petrol, and I'm a little concerned when the Mrs drives it. Its prone to break down.

Anyway, i figured I would ask the people who know the cars the best. If you have any pics could you email them to me or post them up.

dwaynewoodhouse@ozemail.com.au

Nothings confirmed yet, but at this stage, this is what I'm considering. Just looking for a little information and reassurance that the fiesta is value for money.

Thanks

Dwayne
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

doesnt win small car of the year award for being a poor car now does it?

the guys in the eurofordclub love their fiesta's, the y dont struggle to keep up either when on a cruise.

Last edited by whippet_zetec; 09-02-2005 at 12:12 PM.
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
lotsy
Feisty

They are a great little car - I have a 5 dr lx fiesta in moondust silver, and manual of course! The only problem that myself and one other member now have had is with the bonnet cable stretching but that only a minor thing which is covered by warranty anyway. With the air con they say it's opional only to keep the cost down but the dealership I went to said that you couldn't purchase one without. It was just a ploy to have a low costing car.

The car has no problems keeping cool. I've got the fully black interior but with window tint she says as cool as the steering wheel doesn't even get hot - very handy. It costs under $40.00 usually to fill up and I get just over 600 km to a tank when doing long distance - but when stop starting all the time about 450km.

I am happy with her anyways - if you have any other questions just let us know always happy to help. Lee-Anne.
lotsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
lotsy
Feisty

Oh and if it's pictures your after go to the club web site - http://www.eurofordclub.com
lotsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

When i looked at purchasing a Fiesta back in August of 2004, the dealers were not giving free air-con on the LX, so that added $2000ish to the price tag, meaning the Zetec became the value pack with the air-con already included, as well as alloys, colour coded mirrors, fog lights (front and rear), different interior with chrome highlights on the door handles and gear knob, as well as a column stalk for the radio controls. To me the Zetec was bargin for your $$$. Also if you get a light colour (ie moondust silver in the Zetec, you get a flashy Red interior!)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guy thanks for your comments. Appreciate The comments have been very positive. And thanks for the link. I will hopefully have something to post in the not too distant future.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a look today. Looks like we could just get the LX and option her up. Main points for me was the 5 door. The 3 door zetec was nice, but the down side was the rear windows. They don't open. If I get the LX, options will be 16" rims, body kit and aircon. Ink Blue will be the colour for me as well. Just gonna compare that against the focus. and see whether i get the focus stock and go for the options later
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Yeah, I prefer 5 doors for functionality myself, but I can see the appeal of the 3 doors.

The main reason I bought the Focus over the Fiesta was space, coupled with the fact the Fiesta was not in Oz when I bought the Focus. I beleive the Fiesta has a far more driveable engine, and seems more well built and equipped to me.

I bought my Focus stock and just did bits and pieces until she's now more modified than most Foci around, and didn't cost me the earth. I reget not getting cruise fitted factory, but will get it fitted soon enough.

I have to run but will add more later.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The focus is a nice car. For me the little 1.6 is an ideal 2nd car. Took it for a drive and quite surprising how much zip they have. Felt a little cramped in, but big head room which was a bonus. With the body kit and 16" wheels, I think she will have plenty in the looks department.

My dad just bought a focus in Colorado red.

Last edited by Bucknaked; 10-02-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I regret not geting the option rims and bodykit fitted. The main reason is that when I got it the rims cost almost nothing to get fitted.

The interior room is great for a small car and I really like the looks of it but I would like a bodykit or lowering.

Currently im getting my in car entertainment system fitted and have done about 40% of what I hope to get fitted in the end.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Well I own a Black Fiesta Zetec. Red interior looks a treat on the black exterior.

Mine has now done something just over 11,000km and have not had any issues with it. And it is a great handling package. It just loves corners. And it does pretty good to keep up with cars with twice its power output (went thru some twisty stuff following a mate in a Silvia).

Now the problem is you can not appreciate how the car handles on a test drive because it just will not understeer (unless U go in at a really silly speed). My only complaint is that the front end sometimes has trouble getting grip exiting corners in second gear. Long sweeper corners tend to make the car oversteer somewhat but it is quite mild. Other issue now that I think about it is that the front also does not like bumps. It skips and jumps coming out of corners. The first grip issue was more to do with torque.

Now speaking of torque, 2,500rpm to 4,500rpm produces heaps of useable torque. Even in 5th at 130km/h it still pulls quite strongly. I have had the car upto 180 (don't try this at home!) and it is stable and still feels like it can go further. That is a testament to the german engineering and that to some degree it was built for autobahn speeds.

There is a reason it won best small car for 2004. Its a great package!

Only other thing I can suggest is make sure if U get tint put on it that ppl doing it take extreme care when removing the door trim and the trim where the pwr window switch is. Mine got broken and the door trim is still not 100%.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #12
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Good reveiw, most of your concerns regarding understeer and oversteer are common to FWDs, not uncommon to find the FWD small cars lifting an inside wheel when powering out of a corner enough to get some wheelspin.

Both the Focus and the Fiesta have out standing high speed qualities, far more stable than any Falcon I have ever owned and driven, including the BA XR.

After driving lotsy's Fiesta, I am sure the Fiesta has a much better torque range than the Zetec Foci, due to its variable timed head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher
Now the problem is you can not appreciate how the car handles on a test drive because it just will not understeer (unless U go in at a really silly speed).
^^ Ask Pieoter about this from our Wisemans Ferry cruise, after I went deep into a corner and Pieoter was attempting to do the same, haha.

Tim
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #13
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

my g/f just put her name down for a fiesta today from a dealer

3dr LX with air in Tonic.. which is a sweet colour for $13490 + ORC cant beat that price

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #14
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Sweet action! Great deal!, congratulations!

Tim
Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Ta, the g/f is very happy with her choice, and for that price who wouldnt be

Now its time to get new rims for the focus and shove the ST rims onto the fiesta hehee

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a 2nd hand fiesta zetech today for $22990 with body kit, 16" alloys, scuffs, mats and in Aquarius Blue. It has 9,000 k's on it.
Old 15-02-2005, 12:21 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Saw a 2nd hand fiesta zetech today for $22990 with body kit, 16" alloys, scuffs, mats and in Aquarius Blue. It has 9,000 k's on it.
I got mine in Aquarius Blue for $23300 with 16" alloys, alarm, tints, and mats... with 40ks on it LOL... no body kit though... which is worth about $1400....but its your choice..... new or old
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 08:52 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well looks like the idea of the Fiesta is off. I discovered through the ford dealer than I can have a Focus SR (Really a CL with Aircon and wheels) for about the same price as a LX Fiesta with aircon in 5 doors on road. The focus is a bigger car, so I'm thinking of going with that.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

It's a great value package and hard to go past... our Focus looks great with SR rims on it!

Keep us updated!

Tim
Old 16-02-2005, 07:09 PM   #20
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, today I signed the initial paper work for a car. They located a Machine Silver SR focus. Will be in town within about 2 weeks. I had a choice of all colours. I had considered Ink Blue, but went with the silver. Easier to keep clean. I already have an AU3 XR6 in Silhouette. The only option I got was a tow pack. I understand you can't tow much, but I have a tralier that I usually take small amounts of rubbish to the tip. So for this, it should tow just fine.

Anyway, its 5spd manual 1.8 litre. 5 door hatch. Its a beauty. They threw in some little extra's.

Once I get it, I'll put up some pics.

Got a few plans for it. But for now, she will be an everyday car, which will have reliabilty and good economy. Plus its safe and i have no fear of it breaking down like i do with the XE.

Appreciate everyones input. Its been a pretty easy decision in the end

Last edited by Bucknaked; 16-02-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #21
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Good too see you bought the same car as me...
Welcome to European Ford Owners

Russ
Old 16-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Russ. Its good to be back in a small car again. My first ever small ford.
Old 16-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #23
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Welcome to the elite - haha. Well, Eurofordclub anyhow!

There's a few in the ACT now I think...

And of course, when available - !!

I'm sure you'll appreciate the quality of the new car straight away, hope all our rambling helped you in the end somehow!

Timmeh!
Old 16-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #24
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Lets get it updated on the club site with those pics asap now

Chris
Old 16-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #25
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure has. Appreciate the help.

Once the car arrives, I'll get some pics. This is my first new car. Always had them 2nd hand, so I'm pretty keen to get my hands on it.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Congrats Dwayne, im looking into the smaller car market now too, sick of paying for fuel (highest prices in NSW here dammit).
Old 16-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanx Aussie. I may even come see you for a body kit for the new car. Need bigger wheels too. Scuffs would be good. ST fog lamps nice. Can't forget the thingy majig.

The small cars are good value for money. The book says I should get 7.7 litres around town per 100 k's. on a 55 litre tank that works out to be about 700k's from a tank. Travelling to and from work is 320k's a week now. SO once a fortnight I'll put petrol in the car.

Much better than the 50 litres to do 400 k's I get now
Old 16-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #28
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Bah come on, I paid $1.35 for regular unleaded the other day between Darwin and Katherine - get some time up haha!

I know what you mean though, I have never looked back after leaving my EF Falcon... the way everytime I started it, I was worried what would fail this time... and watching the fuel gauge go down faster the self puncturing tires...

Tim
Old 16-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #29
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

well i wouldnt go on getting 7.7kms/100.... that is only in ideal factory conditions.. you might want to bank on a little bit less then that

chris
Old 16-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #30
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She should still be pretty economical. I guess weather conditions would be a factor as well as traffic conditions too.