Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5km/h slower and he'd only have a bruised leg

100% true story.
I was doing 30km/h in a 50 zone the other night and an animal run onto the road and I killed it. I guess if i wiped 5 off and was doing 25 the animal would of only had a bruised leg?????????
Old 20-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #32
BradZ
I'm still alive

Or if you were doing the speed limit, you would of missed it altogther.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
Old 20-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #33
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Who laid the Egg, kept it warm to stop it from dying of low temperature, and stopped the rat from eating it
Ummm, the earlier mentioned duck, turtle or emu, or more likely, a 'chicken like' ancestor laid the chicken bearing egg. Regardless of what the creature was, it will have laid an egg that hatched into a chicken.

Its called evolution. The duck, emu and turtle arent serious candidates, but they demonstrate you dont need a chicken to get an egg. But you do need an egg to get a chicken. It seems obvious then that the egg must have came first, and is possible to have an egg without said chicken.

If you focus on say the duck, or the first egg you miss the point. The changes that formed chickens will have been gradual over many many many years.

The rat was likely stopped by prehistoric Bridgestones, at 5km over the speed limit.
Old 20-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #34
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This isn't a philosophical question at all, it's just plain idiotic.

When it is suggested that you drive x amount slower so damage/injury will be much less severe, there isn't any implication of whether or not you will crash, it is simply informing you of the most probable outcome in the event of a crash at a particular speed.

However the idea of driving x amount faster as a means of evasion is incredibly stupid, either that or the person that suggested it is somehow able to predict future events.

NOTE: This has nothing to do with my opinion on safe speeds/speed limits etc. I'm simply pointing out how flawed this 'logic' is.

Last edited by ST; 20-04-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 21-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #35
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
100% true story.
I was doing 30km/h in a 50 zone the other night and an animal run onto the road and I killed it. I guess if i wiped 5 off and was doing 25 the animal would of only had a bruised leg?????????
Please tell me it wasn't a chicken trying to cross the road.
Old 21-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, it was a cat or possum or something similar... I am not good at identifying mangled road kill in the dark.
Old 21-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #37
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
... but 5km/h faster or more and the car would have passed before he crossed the street

Do you agree/disagree with this statement?

This is probably more a philosophical question, like who came first.. the chicken or the egg.
Or If you didn't have to constantly check your speedo cause of safety cameras and mobile speed cameras you would have seen him with more than enough time to stop. :P

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Old 21-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #38
V8 6I

Quote:
Who laid the Egg, kept it warm to stop it from dying of low temperature, and stopped the rat from eating it
A Dinosuar.
Old 21-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #39
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like all marketing / advertising, it's purely based on emotion. No facts were presented. That's the government for you.

I always try to "wipe off 5" (minutes of travel time).
Old 21-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Its called evolution. The duck, emu and turtle arent serious candidates, but they demonstrate you dont need a chicken to get an egg. But you do need an egg to get a chicken. It seems obvious then that the egg must have came first, and is possible to have an egg without said chicken.
Chicken.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technolog...-egg-conundrum

To the OP. Perhaps travelling at 5km/h put you into a potential accident that 5km/h less had you missing. The increased speed also now includes increased trauma. Fallacious argument.
Old 21-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
While most comments here a made in jest, I feel many are not getting the message of the ad.

Yes fellas, you can wax lyrical about how if you were going faster your paths wouldnt have met etc(Im sure we all know its stupid logic), but do 5km/h less and if "s.... happens" the consequences will be a lot less damaging or there may not even be consequences.

5km/h less than what? the sign posted speed zone? your current speed?

how are you going with that speed alert question by the way?
Old 21-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #42
munners

Maybe when you start your car just sit in the driveway for an extra 10 seconds then you will miss the guy that you would have otherwise hit. Or not, however, the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Didn't think about that, did they?

Munners
Old 21-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #43
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
5km/h less than what? the sign posted speed zone? your current speed?

how are you going with that speed alert question by the way?
Most here are justifying going 5km/h higher than the posted limit because they are advanced drivers, yada yada, however, the message of the ad is keep yourself under the limit, that was my intepretation.

Ehh, someone asked me how my speed "limiter" worked, and I said I dont know.

I set my speed alert chime in metro areas to 60km/h, and put it on 100km/h for the highway. I dont bother with anything else. as far as my testing has shown, the speedo is within 1km/h, not sure if the alert goes off at 60 or 61, dont really care, if I hear it, I back off, if I get done for doing 1km/h faster in the space of a couple of secs of the hours that Im on the road, Ill wear it.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #44
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Its been just over a year since my accident.
Tell you what happened... I was turning on to road. Check my right saw car coming was "too far" check my left no car. Proceeded to turn right .. Bang

The driver of the other car admitted doing approx 80kmh at 60 zone
Admitted to not braking at all or making an attempt to avoid the accident.

I should have checked my right again but didn't. If I had the accident wouldn't have happened by the same token if he wasn't speeding the accident wouldnt have happened.

If he was little more faster or if i was little more slower he was would have T-boned me right on the drivers door. Hit between the pillar and the door.

I now Triple check sometimes.

Your question is very broad. I lost my car but have my life. ****** happens sometimes there is nothing you can do, you learn from the experience and move on.

I think the Chicken Came first.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #45
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by g220ba
Perhaps if he'd looked before stepping onto the street there wouldn't be an issue?
What and set up 'Jaywalking' cameras to generate revenue? lol

"Walking Kills"

Ha ha ha ha.

Funny threads to come :P

"I got done by a 'jaywalking' camera, it's BS, my foot had only crossed the gutter, this is clear revenue rasing"
Then the do gooder response "Well if you didn't jaywalk you wouldn't get fined"
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 21-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #46
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
This. I'm tired of bleeding hearts that award people for being stupid.
When I was old enough to walk, I was told to look both ways before crossing the road.

I'm with you.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most here are justifying going 5km/h higher than the posted limit because they are advanced drivers, yada yada,

I cant recall anyone here saying they speed because they are an advanced driver. So don't put words in peoples mouths, so to speak.

And 'yada yada' adds nothing to the topic at all.
Old 21-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #48
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
If there's such thing as fate, keep it guessing by being unpredictable.. vary your speed all the time. If I've been caught out at a set of yellows going red and need to stop, full throttle away at green will keep the next couple sets of light green for me (turbocharged car helps). Likewise if I'm a fair distance away from the next set of lights and they are green, I'll slow down as much as possible to avoid needing to wait at the lights Ever since I did this a couple of years ago (always drive different routes/different speeds when possible), accidents for me have decreased by 100%
That won't work........fate "knows" and predicts your unpredictability.......

(actually, "fate" sounds a bit like Chuck Norris)

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 21-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #49
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Quote:
"I would argue that the concept of an eggshell came about way before the chicken, it's a dinosaur or even pre-dinosaur thing," he told CNN.
I chuck eggs at your chicken.
Old 21-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #50
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
...I set my speed alert chime in metro areas to 60km/h, and put it on 100km/h for the highway. I dont bother with anything else. as far as my testing has shown, the speedo is within 1km/h, not sure if the alert goes off at 60 or 61, dont really care, if I hear it, I back off, if I get done for doing 1km/h faster in the space of a couple of secs of the hours that Im on the road, Ill wear it.
I hope you completely stop your vehicle to adjust the speed alert at every change between 60 and/or 100kph! Would be terrible to wipe off 5, be fiddling with the alert and then clean up a pedestrian because you were not concentrating on the road. ;)

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 21-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #51
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Quote:
Most here are justifying going 5km/h higher than the posted limit because they are advanced drivers, yada yada, however, the message of the ad is keep yourself under the limit, that was my intepretation.

Ehh, someone asked me how my speed "limiter" worked, and I said I dont know.

I set my speed alert chime in metro areas to 60km/h, and put it on 100km/h for the highway. I dont bother with anything else. as far as my testing has shown, the speedo is within 1km/h, not sure if the alert goes off at 60 or 61, dont really care, if I hear it, I back off, if I get done for doing 1km/h faster in the space of a couple of secs of the hours that Im on the road, Ill wear it.
I hope you get done for doing that crazy 1 - 2 km/h over the limit because that 1km/h over is oh so deadly, More deadly then not paying attention to the road and its surrounding environments because your to busy looking at your speedo trying to prevent going over the number that the sign on the road says, if you do you will die!!!... to help prevent obvious death you look away from the speedo (finally, but still not looking at the road) to adjust your little speed alert... and now we can finally look up at the road... but not for to long you dont want to go over that 1km/h quick!!! look back down at that speedo!!! Meanwhile you have ran over 3 dogs, 4 kids and a horse but you wouldnt know that because your not looking at the road, you just thought you hit a couple of pot holes, typical australian roads i must get my do gooder pen out and write a letter to the council telling them to fix the roads...(im all for that btw )

Mate you got to be a politician or someone who is on the take from the revenue raised from this issue because these are the only topics you mostly post on and your so hell bent on convincing everyone that creeping a few km/h over the limit is the end of the world (obviously its the most common speeding bracket and brings in the most money)... You got to apply Common sense to certain situations, a few km/h isnt going to hurt in most places, particularly on a wide freeway where obviously doing 110 in a 100 isnt going to make any difference in that scenario even doing 120 on those roads is perfectly safe, yes its 20km/h but look at the road and environment its not the same as doing 70km/h in a 50km/h zone yet it gets frowned upon the same way and cops the same big fine despite it being considerably less dangerous... but all this should also depend on the car another factor that should be thought about when pulling over people. A performance car can easily avoid incident safely if it is a bit over the limit to say a 1988 camry even if the camry were doing the speed limit the lets say FPV GT would pull up first... Point being? you cant paint everyone and every situation with the same brush common sense for the scenario should be applied.
Old 21-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #52
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the Sudz !
Old 21-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #53
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I love the Sudz !
haha, don't we all. at least we finally got him to admit he speeds as well!!
Old 21-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #54
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Re topic and the ambiguity of 'safety' messages like these. No wonder lately I very frequently come up to drivers doing 5, 10 or 15 kph below the posted speed limits, regardless of lane they are in, sometimes two or three abreast. Even along two way country roads there are more and more drivers frequently doing 85 - 90kph in the 100kph posted limits, putting others at more risk by overtaking them.
Old 21-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #55
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
You got to apply Common sense to certain situations, a few km/h isnt going to hurt in most places, particularly on a wide freeway where obviously doing 110 in a 100 isnt going to make any difference in that scenario even doing 120 on those roads is perfectly safe, yes its 20km/h but look at the road and environment its not the same as doing 70km/h in a 50km/h zone yet it gets frowned upon the same way and cops the same big fine despite it being considerably less dangerous... but all this should also depend on the car another factor that should be thought about when pulling over people. A performance car can easily avoid incident safely if it is a bit over the limit to say a 1988 camry even if the camry were doing the speed limit the lets say FPV GT would pull up first... Point being? you cant paint everyone and every situation with the same brush common sense for the scenario should be applied.
Common sense is not a known phrase to these speed camera lovers.

They think the law is 100% correct down to the last letter.
There are a million variables in the world where 10km/h over the limit is not a big deal.
On the contrary there are a million variables where the speed limit or 10 under is down right dangerous. That's my problem with cameras. The camera does not know this. All it knows is to take a photo of anyone doing 4 or more over a certain speed. While a cop there can asses situations and choose who they pull over and for what reason.
Old 21-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #56
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fate is a *****. If yiou're meant to go, you're meant to go, that's my belief. 5km faster, you miss him, but he trips and cracks his head on the gutter killing him instantly.

I just try not to be liable for anything. Better to life guilt free, so rather than 5km slower, i'll take the speed limit, drive carefully and never drink and drive.
Old 22-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #57
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's all based on fear. Ill-informed fear at that. The public has been convinced that they are perfectly safe travelling along at a speed of 27.77 mters per second on the highway, as opposed to being in mortal danger about to crash in a fireball and kill thier family at a speed of 28.05 meters per second (the difference between 100 and 101 kph).

People have had it drummed into them that "every K over is a killer", when there is no way that you could prove that one kilometer per hour over a set number is any more dangerous than one kilometer below that same number.
In fact, using the same flawed logical and basically theoretical arguements of "if only he'd been doing 5kph slower", you can turn around and say "yeah well if he'd been doing 5kph faster he'd have been out of the way of the oncoming car" with perfectly equal accuracy.
Speed limits were set decades ago, and basically pander to the lowest set of skills...I'm sure we all know people with whom we'd happily fall asleep in the passenger seat while they did 120 on an open country road because we trust thier abilities behind the wheel, and conversely I'm sure we all know people who we wouldn't trust to drive around a car park at 15kph.

Yes, there needs to be "limits" to stop utter chaos on the highways, but for christs sake, there needs to be a bit of sanity injected and being sane doesn't mean reducing the tolerance to one single kilometer per hour over the limit. I would wager good money that literally everyone who has ever held a driving licence has gone "over the limit" by one kilometer per hour and lived to tell the tale of thier horrifying ordeal...or more accurately, didn't even realise they had drifted over the limit by one kph as our car speedometers aren't calibrated that finely.

They say hindshight is 20/20 vision, and yes it is. After an incident you can sit back and smugly make all sorts of analysis of it and say "well if this had happened, that wouldn't have happened", but you can't live your life like that. There's no such thing as fate.
For too long, we've ignored driver education and instead fed people the absolute bald-faced lie that if you don't drink and drive and never speed, you will never have an accident...and just by looking around you know damn well there are drivers who think that if they stick to that number on the post and forget about all other driving skills, they'll be perfectly OK.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 22-04-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 22-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #58
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
absolute bald-faced lie that if you don't drink and drive and never speed, you will never have an accident
Nice strawman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
For too long, we've ignored driver education and
Another ingenious bit of logic, people here know/claim that the average driver doesn't have enough skills/knowledge/roadcraft to drive safely but in the meantime they want them to be able to drive faster?

You can entertain notions about raising speed limits AFTER we've "educated" the present mob to the same lofty standards as people here.
Old 22-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #59
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While most comments here a made in jest, I feel many are not getting the message of the ad.

Yes fellas, you can wax lyrical about how if you were going faster your paths wouldnt have met etc(Im sure we all know its stupid logic), but do 5km/h less and if "s.... happens" the consequences will be a lot less damaging or there may not even be consequences.

But i suppose you are all going to tell me you are better than the average person and this doesnt apply to you because you have superior road craft, can predict the unexpected, superior reflexes and all of that, yada, yada.
is that you Harold Scruby.....
Old 22-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #60
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

Sorry guys, but what a ******* stupid ad. If some idiot decides to walk out on the road without a pedestrian crossing, they are stepping into the path of a 2ton chunk of metal..... what did they think was going to happen.

No sympathy
Closed Thread