Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fitting Premium Sound

Hey everyone thanks to another forum member i picked up i great premium sound system for my Au3 Xr 6. I fitted the HU which works fine but i went to fit the amp and it seems a part of the mounting bracket in my car is missing any ideas why it would have been removed (pics below) ?? Also do i have to make up my own wiring for the tweeters and the sub/amp or should there be wires there for them already ?? Anyone whos done the same sort of thing and has any tips or advice i'd like to hear it.

Cheers Lorenz

Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Fitting Premium Sound

If your car never had premo sound to start withthere's a fair chance the brackets were never there, as for the wiring there is a loom from the amp to the speakers ,also would"nt be there unless you had premo to start with, can get some picks tomorrow if the weather clears up if that helps

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

As whoosha said, the rest of it was never added in if the car wasn't optioned with it.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
If your car never had premo sound to start withthere's a fair chance the brackets were never there, as for the wiring there is a loom from the amp to the speakers ,also would"nt be there unless you had premo to start with, can get some picks tomorrow if the weather clears up if that helps
Thanks for the input Whoosha a few pics would be a great help. The reason i though the bracket was there a one stage is that i looks as though it's been cut. Proably something the previous owner done.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

To be blunt, why are you bothering? Aftermarket options are cheaper, easier and better in terms of sound quality and functions.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My factory HU was on the way out and i'm not a fan of the way Aftermarket HU's look. So i tracked down a whole system including the HU which was an upgrade on my system i'm not really into sound systems but this system took my fancy it's just personal preferance i suppose........
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

High-fives for Factory Audio

Your best bet is to chase the brackets & looms out of a wreck. I plan on doing the same.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
T2TICK4D

if you remove the a pillars there sould be speaker wiring already there for the tweeters there was with my ute
Old 27-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Iv done this conversion in my car... My series 3 had the place to mount up the amp (with the amp backing plate) all there and it wasnt a premmy sound car.. The power wires to power the amp were also there as part of the loom as was the wires to the sub.

The bits of the loom missing are the low level amp input from the parcel shelf back to the amp (thats a small extra plug in bit of harness) with the plug under the parcel tray/cover and the other end of those leeds that hook up from under the dash (somewhere) to the second plug in the back of the headunit. And the 12 volt switching wire to activate the amp when the headunit is on..
Because I have an aftermarket headunit in mine, I just ran a new set of RCA pre outs and fed off the auto antenna up/amp on feed wire..

Iv not checked to see if the tweeter wires are there or not, as I dont have the A pillar covers yet, so no point in fitting the tweeters till then.

I must say I think the sounds respectable enough from the factory premmy system. Seenings my engine/exhaust sounds so good I rarely listen to the sterio, so Im not gunna bother upgrading the speakers more..

Lookin at your pic it looks like the brackets been cut away.. Maybe its had a big hit there once..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

As you have just mentioned, some cars got parts of the wiring, but not all. I think however the front tweeter wiring is a standard part of the loom.

The power wires and so on at the back of the car are not, maybe it depends on what model car you have, XR8 220kw for example are probably more likely to be purchased optioned with premium sound, then a forte.

Maybe Prestiege sound models might have got more of the wiring too, since it was an upgrade.

However that bracket in the photo, does appear like it has been cut afterwards by someone and not like that from factory.
Old 27-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm with Donny on this 1 Full SEDAN premo with amp and sub do a good job, Just the head unit doesn't like to be rushed or it will jam and its all over not to mention it has a cassette deck for us old fellas And the sound of a wheezer on full song is hard to beat

But this is how the factory set up looks

and the wiring for the front splits should be there but as usual not always

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had i good look for the wiring today and couldn't find any connections for the tweeters, Sub or amp Looks like i'm going to have to source a loom or make my own i also have to make a custom bracket to fit the amp i'll keep you posted on how it works out.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck with it all. It'll be worth it in the end as the factory Premium Sound setup is excellent. Much better than any $200 after market setup (IMO).
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have a look at the standard head unit plug, for the speaker wires, the premium unit actually had 2 wires in 4 of the plugs for the front tweeters, basically they were just doubled/paralleled off the front speakers.

I personally wouldn't bother sourcing another loom, just hook them up as they were with additional wire, if you want to go down the loom replacement to do it, things are going to get very complicated, very quickly, the loom after all is not just audio, but the entire dash.
Old 29-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #15
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have removed and sold to premium audio's one from a series 1 and one from a series 2.

The wiring for the headunit on them was actually not the standard loom as I found out when I pulled the dash out they were a separate loom.

The loom from amp to headunit is completely standalone from the factory body loom. It is simply cable tied to the main loom.

The rear speakers and amp (Only amp for series 1?) are powered from this separate loom and the standard wiring for the rear speakers is made redundant.

These photos are from the series 2 Premo sound. Although was a Fairlane I don't believe that will make a difference. Also, the tweeters were wired into the main loom so I would expect some cars will have that wiring already and some won't. Also, this will be slightly different due to having power seats.

I hope this all makes sense and helps. But honestly find yourself a complete loom as without that you will have a massive headache wiring it all correctly.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Massive thanks bartsau this will make the job so much easier i'll start doing a bit of ringing around for the loom this weekend Cheers
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally found a loom but i don't think it's right. Looks to be a series 1 loom to me here are some pics can anyone confirm if this is right ??

Is there anyway to tell for sure if this is a series 2/3 loom or a series 1 loom thank for the help in advance
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Looks like a series 1 loom, series 2/3 had only one RCA plug as it only powered the sub, series 1 powered the rear speakers too.

Will respond to your PM shortly.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post