Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #241
pundit
Gazza!

I tried vaping but it wasn't for me. I guess it comes down tobwe all quit different ways. To anyone quitting I wish you all success. Heres my quitting stats now with no relapse

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #242
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

I have one of those as well! The money it shows really puts things in perspective...

That extra money could be spent towards, supercharger, turbocharging my N/A buying a whole damn new car!!!

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #243
herbicide

My old man started smoking when he was 6 - nicked tobacco from my grandfather's stash. He had several goes and gave up smoking for good when he was 71. He's not around anymore but he said that if continued to smoke, he'd have died years earlier than he did, so if he could do it, you can too.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #244
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Day 11 since my last cigarette and still wanting to light up. Grrrrr.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #245
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to smoke a packet of rollies in 2 and half days for 19 years. I havent had a smoke in 3 years and don't feel like one.
Started getting health problems like coughing and chest infections a lot, so worried about it i threw smokes in the bin and bought those nicabate chewies. Well i got addicted to the chewies and was chewing 15 a day for nearly a year. they have caused liver damage. Be carefull of those damned chewies, they give you a better fix than smoking.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #246
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Day 11 since my last cigarette and still wanting to light up. Grrrrr.
The fact you haven't is a good sign. When I gave up in Jan 2012, after the first 3 days, even though I wanted a smoke, I kept resisting because I said to myself "If I smoke now, I've just wasted 3 days that I could've been smoking". Sort of reverse psychology but I chose not to smoke. And I haven't had one since. I still feel like one every now and then, but it's easier to get through the 15 seconds that felling lasts for. And I don't cough all day every day any more, and I don't smell bad, and I can smell & taste more!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #247
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just add my bit

May 27th 2011 is when i finally gave up the smokes.

I have mentioned prior, took a few attempts via patches and Champix (which worked for me) and havent gone back.

Dont mind at all the passive smoke, in fact i encourage friends whom smoke to still light up in front of me cos i still like the smell of it still. lol
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #248
AAXR8

Post Advice on how I quit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Just add my bit

May 27th 2011 is when i finally gave up the smokes.

I have mentioned prior, took a few attempts via patches and Champix (which worked for me) and havent gone back.

Dont mind at all the passive smoke, in fact i encourage friends whom smoke to still light up in front of me cos i still like the smell of it still. lol
PLEASE GUYS DON'T CRITICISE ITS JUST MY STORY ABOUT QUITTING!!!
I was 25 and I had been smoking since 13 ( please don't criticise because It made me look cool so I still pay the price! ) But I was told I had emphysema at 25 after X Rays & my symptoms where that I felt I couldnt breath ! So the YOUNG doctor I saw & never had before, told me that if I quit now I would still live to a good age. So she gave me Champix and I set a date! But from what I remember you have to take them before you quit, I think 2 weeks before, but I got alot of side affects weird body feelings an unable to sleep, things like that! But the way I did it was the day I quit and I went from 25 a day to near nothing by the end of that day BUT THE CRAVING WAS THAT BAD THAT INSTEAD OF THINKING THATS IT I CAN'T HAVE A SMOKE!! I DON'T SMOKE I CAN HAVE ONE ANYTIME I WANT & HAD 3 that night with the routines I had that were the hardest to brake etc one after dinner, before bed, YOU KNOW. BUT i LASTED AS LONG AS i COULD WITH THAT BAD, HARD CRAVING BUT I ALSO STILL LIVED THE SAME LIFE! BUT JUST CHANGED MY THOUGHTS SO IT WAS NOT SO INTENSE, SO I STILL WENT TO THE PUB, HUNG OUT WITH MY MATES WHO SMOKED & YES IT WAS THE HARDIEST THING I HAVE EVER HAD TO DO IN MY LIFE!!! BUT BY THE 3RD DAY I DID NOT FEEL LIKE ONE ANYMORE and that's been 8 Years NOW! And I quoted uniacidz because like him and near everyone else we all go through the same withdrawl affects but if you can change your thinking by IF I NEED ONE I CAN HAVE ONE, WHERE AS IF YOU THINK THATS IT NO MORE YOU GO CRAZY! SO IMO if you still have 3 a day for the first week if its to hard!! And eventually 1 a day thats a lot better then 25 a day & I hope the day that come for me comes for YOU & anyone that is giving up eventually getting the feeling they taste like dog poo poo ! And your craving Changes to you don't even feel like one THEN YOUR WINNING!! MY FLAT MATES GIVING UP AND SHE HAS BEEN SMOKING FOR 35 YEARS 10-25 A DAY ISN'T USING CHAMPIZ BUT THE PATCHES AND THE SAME WAY I DID IT IS WORKING AND IT'S BEEN 5 DAYS and its getting EASIER now! I also went back to the doctors a year later and had a chest problem so I had XRAYS again and asked what was happening with the emphysema and the Doctor said & NO JOKE ohh sorry she made a mistake it was Bronchitis!! I was so angry but was happy because I had finally quit! The price these days is ridiculous! I can't believe $30 a pack! When I smoked I payed $15
Good Luck to Anyone that is trying and remember Don't be to hard on yourself take your time and the Cravings STOP!!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

Last edited by GasoLane; 17-09-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Please dont try to avoid the swear filter
AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #249
AAXR8

Question Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

As I said in the last reply! My flat mate is giving up & is doing really well & her craving is going but she still has trouble with needing something in her hands & mouth! But what is Vaping like? Do they give you that hit like nicotine does at the back of your throat? And what is the best Brand for a Nearly Ex Menthol smoker?? And is there any Bad side affects from breathing in the vapour? Thanks guys & any advice for me and a friend would be great!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 17-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #250
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Day 17 and still smoke free. Getting easier with each passing day.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 17-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #251
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
hey all im a dirty smoker and i have been smoking since i was 15 years old and i am 29 now

i have been trying every month to give up smoking since this year and i have failed to give up and i give in to the urge i have 2 children one 8 and one 6 turning 7

I allso cough up what looks to be blood but im unsure cause its already down the drian i have tryed so many attempts to give up but i fail and everytime i have smoke my throat hurts a little five mins later after i have finished the smoke

so tonight is the stand where im saying NO and the half packet of smokes i have i gave them away and i have nicabate gum and extra chewing gum that i have used and it did work but the taste is what took me of from stop chewing them after a week

Hi Mate, I read your story & I hope you read my advice and hope it helps! It sounds like you need something stonger like Patches or Champix or what ever the doctors are giving to try and stop the urges, Cravings etc! I would try Champix and if you go to the Doctors you can get a Prescription for patches & Champix so at least there on the PBS you know the cheaper side of medicine!
I'm know Doctor but you might of hurt a blood vessel or something to do with your throat if you cough really hard! But thats just my opinion! Have a read of my replys because I had a look, and everyone's got great advice!! and I hope it helps! Good Luck
!!
247 RWKW

Old 18-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #252
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAXR8 View Post
As I said in the last reply! My flat mate is giving up & is doing really well & her craving is going but she still has trouble with needing something in her hands & mouth! But what is Vaping like? Do they give you that hit like nicotine does at the back of your throat? And what is the best Brand for a Nearly Ex Menthol smoker?? And is there any Bad side affects from breathing in the vapour? Thanks guys & any advice for me and a friend would be great!
Hey mate, I'm very pro vapour and I will say this firstly, feel free to message me with any queries. So basically IMO vaping is the bee knees when compared to smoking, its cheaper, it tastes better as you can get any flavour you want, you can also choose the nicotine strength like a cigarette. Now the nic is absorbed differently so you won't get the exact same hit like a smoke but very similar.

The best vapourisers to buy for someone starting out would be the Vapeking basic, it charges by usb is long, sleek and probably one of the most simple. Then all you have to do is look up online some e-juice vendors, pick your flavour and your nicotine level then click SEND! Also check out aussie vapours forums as there is plenty of info on there, as for the safety factors its been proven vapourisers are safer than smokes, but I wouldn't say they are completely harmless, though nothing has been definitively proven in that regards. I can explain more in depth about the risk and safety of them if you wish, but I won't babble on here to much.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 18-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #253
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
Hey mate, I'm very pro vapour and I will say this firstly, feel free to message me with any queries. So basically IMO vaping is the bee knees when compared to smoking, its cheaper, it tastes better as you can get any flavour you want, you can also choose the nicotine strength like a cigarette. Now the nic is absorbed differently so you won't get the exact same hit like a smoke but very similar.

The best vapourisers to buy for someone starting out would be the Vapeking basic, it charges by usb is long, sleek and probably one of the most simple. Then all you have to do is look up online some e-juice vendors, pick your flavour and your nicotine level then click SEND! Also check out aussie vapours forums as there is plenty of info on there, as for the safety factors its been proven vapourisers are safer than smokes, but I wouldn't say they are completely harmless, though nothing has been definitively proven in that regards. I can explain more in depth about the risk and safety of them if you wish, but I won't babble on here to much.
Vaping has links to other cancers - there are reports of total kidney failure for heavy vapour users in as little as 12 months. Don't substitute one cancer causing agent for another.....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #254
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Good call Syndrome. Still off the smokes. 6 years now
Tried to get off the chewies again in November, was actually going okay, took a short holiday from work and was off them for 2 weeks. But it does seem work (shift) makes me pick them up again, helps keep me focussed and awake. Lets face it, nicotine does give you a bump.
Felt good to be off them though. I've got some big hols coming up in 2014, will try again.
Woah. Nicotine, which is essentially the basis for all substitute smoking aids, is not a cancer causing agent. Where are your resources for your claims.

You may be one of the lucky few who can dish the coffin nails for nothing, but many of us are 'addicts'. need a bit of help to get off them.

I have been on Nicotine Chewing Gum for 7 (read that...7) years.

No, I have no desire to smoke. I am quite happy in the company of smokers. They smoke, I chew.

But one thing I stand by, and I have no need to touch wood. I have never had a cold or flu in 7 years, in fact nothing that has kept me off work. If I feel symptoms of a flu, I chew more and by the next day, it's gone away. My work and GP can back up my claims. I am 51.

Go figure.

Do not put unfounded fear into folk using alternatives to give up smoking. The alternatives offer no tars, PCH, benzenes and etc that are known Cancer causing agents.

Give these guys a break.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #255
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Vaping has links to other cancers - there are reports of total kidney failure for heavy vapour users in as little as 12 months. Don't substitute one cancer causing agent for another.....
You can get killed walking your doggie.....

About the only thing the government has to say is there's no scientific evidence to prove its harmless, therefore it must be treated like its deadly.
Old 18-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #256
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

If anyone wants information on studies done on vaping I'd be happy to link them to people who want to know more, there have been certain studies done which has shown for example the production of formaldehyde in vapourisers, but those studies were done outside of the normal range for human consumption.

I have not heard of vapourisers causing liver failure and would be interested to read more about this if you have a link to your source?

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 19-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #257
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
If anyone wants information on studies done on vaping I'd be happy to link them to people who want to know more, there have been certain studies done which has shown for example the production of formaldehyde in vapourisers, but those studies were done outside of the normal range for human consumption.

I have not heard of vapourisers causing liver failure and would be interested to read more about this if you have a link to your source?
Theres also formaldehyde in MDF but people don't think twice about wearing respirators when cutting it and sending it into the air all over the place.

The more you know, hey
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #258
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=tut0r;5216372]If anyone wants information on studies done on vaping I'd be happy to link them to people who want to know more, there have been certain studies done which has shown for example the production of formaldehyde in vapourisers, but those studies were done outside of the normal range for human consumption.

Formaldehyde? Who are you buying your Vapours from?

Formaldehyde is not a product of the plant, nor a by product of ignition. Someone has put it there
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #259
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

[QUOTE=Madaya;5216431]
Quote:

Formaldehyde? Who are you buying your Vapours from?

Formaldehyde is not a product of the plant, nor a by product of ignition. Someone has put it there
Buy overheating the some e-juices there was traces of formaldehyde shown to of been produced but as I said earlier, these were outside the levels of normal human consumption, we're talking sub ohm ranges here, around .2 at 9volts.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #260
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just gave up again yesturday very sad i know but this time its for good and i hope i can do it again i really miss having the spare cash to go out on weekends
Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #261
Spurious

Funny I should find myself here again.

I stopped smoking Feb' 20. Have not had another since.

21mg patches for about 2.5 months, then dropped to 14mg for a further 2 months. It took a good 3+ months for the cravings to stop completely.
Some days were tougher than others. I nearly caved about 3 months in, but thankfully I didn't. I found other things tended to take up my time, so stopping for a cig rarely entered my mind.
After meals was the worst, for about 3 odd months, but just sit tight for 30 minutes & the cravings dwindle.

When you forget to apply a patch & you don't notice the lack of, then you're golden.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #262
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

That time of year again. Today is day 1.......

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 01-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #263
marty351
Shenanigans..............

On a positive side, this thread hasn't quit!

Keep up the good fight!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #264
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opin...e9d3539ec3bfba
Old 02-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #265
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
This article is just stating what I have said for years except the fact is e cigs don't have to contain nicotine like said in this article.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 02-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #266
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Don't believe everything you read in the media. Don't take any reporting of scientific studies of any subject as factual, always go to the source. Journalism is long dead, these days its all about sensationalising stories to maximise consumer interest and resulting revenue.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #267
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a link from UK Gov. Read this and then decide which is better.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...andmark-review
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 AM   #268
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Clevo View Post
Here is a link from UK Gov. Read this and then decide which is better.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...andmark-review
Yet our government goes what this UK research shows. Typical.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #269
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Just got champix starter pack.

Time to take control!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #270
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Yet our government goes against what this UK research shows. Typical.
*fixed.