Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #271
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Any VF performance figures out there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Well I've run out of popcorn watching the show so i'll just say this,
People seem to have forgotten that HSV are running nice wide 20 inch rims and arguably the most expensive / softest / stickiest tyres you can possibly buy whereas over in the blue corner we have FPV with their 245 section very average quality Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres, getting very similar performance numbers down the strip. I would have thought its a given that FPV's numbers would improve with wider and substaintially better quality rubber...but this simple reality seems too hard for some to want to understand...

Without any doubt and by any objective unemotional analysis both brands have their own merits...now can you please wait five minutes before the show starts again so I can replenish my popcorn supply
I agree the FPV's would go quicker with better tyres but in saying that so would the HSV's.

I highly doubt the GTS tyres are the most expensive / stickiest tyres available for purchase, they're probably only a few hundred more a set than than dunlops.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #272
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Common, you're not supposed to all agree with me, my popcorn's getting cold, get on with the show, opps forgot to mention above that the HSV has the latest trick, high tech super wizz bang launch control system to assist its times too and probably has a button somewhere to make its own popcorn too
I think this thread is pretty much dead lol, im pretty sure only the manual HSV's have launch control. Dont know how much or even if it would be any quicker than the auto though
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #273
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
I agree the FPV's would go quicker with better tyres but in saying that so would the HSV's.

I highly doubt the GTS tyres are the most expensive / stickiest tyres available for purchase, they're probably only a few hundred more a set than than dunlops.
they're not mate, go and price up some and see for yourself, its scarely possible to fit a more expensive 20 inch tyre.
Local guys here have them at nearly $900 a pop, 10% less than I spent on a full set of four 245/35/19 Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's which themselves are far better than Dunlop Sport Maxx's.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #274
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well going by tirerack.com the continental contisportcontact go for around $400 a tyre
Old 09-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #275
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the dunlops for around $320 a tyre, both of those are 275/20in tyres
Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #276
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
blown 6.0 SSV... that'll do it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #277
Rodge
Banned

I had a look on www.tirerack.com and couldn't see the latest Continental Sport Contact 5P tyres listed under 275/35/20.

I think you'll find if you check you've got the wrong information for a much earlier version of the Sport Contact tyre.

Last Sport Contact 5's I saw here in N.Z. were just under $900 and that was for a 245/35/19 size tyre...it was THE most expensive tyre I could possibly buy for my car with its stock rims. I think if you re-check you'll find HSV have spared no expense whatsoever on the tyres, in fact quite the opposite to the extent that they make quite a meal out of their tyre selection in their marketing material.

Like I said earlier, the stickiest, softest, best gripping tyre they could possibly fit.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #278
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
I had a look on www.tirerack.com and couldn't see the latest Continental Sport Contact 5P tyres listed under 275/35/20.

I think you'll find if you check you've got the wrong information for a much earlier version of the Sport Contact tyre.

Last Sport Contact 5's I saw here in N.Z. were just under $900 and that was for a 245/35/19 size tyre...it was THE most expensive tyre I could possibly buy for my car with its stock rims. I think if you re-check you'll find HSV have spared no expense whatsoever on the tyres, in fact quite the opposite to the extent that they make quite a meal out of their tyre selection in their marketing material.

Like I said earlier, the stickiest, softest, best gripping tyre they could possibly fit.
are they the stickiest, softest, best gripping tire you could buy??

or are they just expensive!
i'm pretty Shure mc clearys, hoosier, micky thompsons. would have better grip.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #279
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by linked article
The Holden VF Commodore has only been on sale for a handful of months but already tuners are extracting some awesome performance from it. If you’ve ever wondered what the fastest VF Commodore in the world is so far, this is it.
Wow that was quick! It's almost as if all the development work had been done on this engine/chassis already! the L99 is such a huge jump from the L98!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #280
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
are they the stickiest, softest, best gripping tire you could buy??

or are they just expensive!
i'm pretty Shure mc clearys, hoosier, micky thompsons. would have better grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
There you go.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #281
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah you're right I didnt know there was a 5P series tyre I just looked for 275/20 tyres under the continental brand.

Closest 5P 275/20 they have is 285 for $390 a tyre.

And the shop that quoted you over double per tyre for the 245/19
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #282
Rodge
Banned

Hyperdrive in Auckland.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #283
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry Rodge, nodded off in boredom and just woke up, and saw your post, considering the title I posted video evidence of how fast they have shown

http://performancedrive.com.au/video...runs-10-37sec/

drag tyres admitted, but this wasn't defined as a post criteria, still trying to make sense of this the following, suggest me move on:

FPV SC 5.0 Litres times in the "Modified" Bracket
BPT.............. 10.70 @ 131mph. Auto GS. M/T 26 x 10 Slicks
RDP.............. 10.96 @ 127mph. Auto GS.
Autotech....... 11.10 @ 129mph. Auto GT.
KPM.............. 10.65 @ 129mph. Auto GS.
RACEGT......... 11.63 @ 118mph. Auto GS.
XFT.............. 11.70 @ ???mph. Auto GS.

Yes a HSV SC 6.2 Litre should go faster
Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #284
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that video I posted may give us an idea how quick the GT-R spec might be stock down the quarter mile?? realistically I think it would be pretty close on the straight. on the track the GTS would be better. personally I still would buy an R spec or stock GT over the GTS. I'm more of a fan of straight line speed then going fast around tracks. I'm more of a fan of the VF redline thing then the GTS. not just because its quicker. I just think the VF commodore front and rear look nicer then the GTS front. I actually don't mind the VF commodore looks over the GTS. I know its a ford forum so
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #285
Chopped
as in chopped

Can you still buy a GT R Spec new or are they sold out ?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #286
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Can you still buy a GT R Spec new or are they sold out ?
All New R Spec GT have been sold. But there are still a few on carsales with low kms
3 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #287
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
All New R Spec GT have been sold. But there are still a few on carsales with low kms
and still with warranty. nothing wrong used
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #288
MUSTANGER
Starter Motor

The way I see it ,

FG FPV R SPEC ...Great product

VF GTS .......Great product

even the

AMG CLA 45......great product.

I think we are lucky to have a choice and just go and buy what tickles your fancy .......
4 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #289
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
The dude on carsales that has one for 115k will be waiting a while for a buyer
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #290
MUSTANGER
Starter Motor

Quote:
The dude on carsales that has one for 115k will be waiting a while for a buyer
It`s an investment.....you have to wait ....
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #291
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Thanks for the thread support guys but to clarify once again to you dippy clowns who don't get it......this thread is after performance times for the Vfs.....obviously the GTS v the R spec is the big ticket item. Now this is because for months and months we heard( like rodge pointed out about the tyres) they have gone to all lengths including extensive multi tyre company research to find the best performing tyre. They have also claimed the fastest of muscle car status in Australia with no numbers to back this up. It's been available to journos on many many times for long distance drives....useless euro comparos and even full track days. But still no times. All we have is a 12.27 or similiar which had to be extracted(only just recently mind you) from thors arrse! Even the mile per hr at the end of the track is only 1 klm faster then multiple offers of ford numbers being posted here. Now for the uneducated the previous Gts WAS slower around the track then the GT335 in at least two track comparos i remember....one was Phillip island. So with the R spec commanding performance precedence over a stock GT.....it baffles me why there isn't track comparos and at least strip times...street times even or whatever coming out of the yin yang. Oh wait they did do a comparo.....IN THE WET. And claimed the victory ARE u serious.
Now dont confuse my enthusiasm as dislike or disrespect for the GTS.....I know its inspector gadget...but you pay for that part.

I want to know whether the best from Ford holds its head high against the best from holden. But it doesn't seem like Holden want this to happen.....I don't know why.....u tell me.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #292
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt there will be a bunch of 1/4 mile and track time comparo's between the GTS and GT in the close future. The car has only been out a month or two
Old 10-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #293
BHDOGS
Banned

Tis simple hsv want this car to be seen as a competitor to euro cars not a ford they want to fool people into thinking its high brow there kidding themselves
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #294
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will laugh when people buy one thinking it's all class and in the same league as euros and then the electronics and gadgets **** themselves like what has been happening on the regular VF's. Same cheap budget **** electronics and trinkets as the lower models.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #295
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
No doubt there will be a bunch of 1/4 mile and track time comparo's between the GTS and GT in the close future. The car has only been out a month or two
Ha you sure about that....they seemed to go to great lengths to do a wet comparison gts v rspec and like i said.....the articles themselves they admit to having the cars for weeks at a time including extensive track days in a row. And unless hsv runs all the mags that do comparisons....why would the hsv v euro thing get any attention anyway...as its a dill ussual thought. Any mag in their own right would compare the best ford and the best Holden........like they've been doing for 50 years.
I too have read the surprising amount of faults with electrical items in the vf but it is expected to a certain degree. Maybe they want to topple their own crown of havin the most problematic Australian car ever with the adventra. meh it happens tho when cars are built to a cut throat price.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #296
Chopped
as in chopped

Best figures from Media testing >

GT R Spec (sold out)
$76 990 +
0-100 4.57 (4.52 but run was aborted)
1/4 mile 12.64

(Manual tested by Wheels)
Excerpt from Wheels Mag -
"...On a sticky Sydney Dragway, a six-speed manual R-Spec stormed to 100km/h in 4.57 seconds before crossing the standing 400 metres in 12.64 seconds at 189km/h...."
"...The slow-shifting manual costs time and there's little doubt an auto R-Spec will go faster again...."

Gen F GTS (currently on sale)
$92 990 +
0-100 4.31
1/4 mile 12.13

(Auto tested by Drive)
Excerpt from Drive vid -
"...The HSV blitzing the 100km/h barrier in just 4.3 seconds before running to the end in 12.1 at an impressive 190km/h..."
"...And at the end of the day a 12 second car straight off the showroom floor is quick in anyone's book..."

^ last quote sums it up / both cars are damn quick.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #297
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Drive have tested the HSV GTS 3 or 4 times now - did Drive ever test the FPV GT Rspec Auto? Seems the only bench mark test is from Wheels who test with a driver and passenger & don't use drag strip timing boards instead choose to use their own on board timers.

Anyway we all know the FPV GT Rspec Auto can go faster.

Trap speed 189klm/h vs 190klm/h shows how good the lil 5.0 litre FPV GT Rspec is

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #298
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Now this is because for months and months we heard( like rodge pointed out about the tyres) they have gone to all lengths including extensive multi tyre company research to find the best performing tyre.
Yeah mate some people "convieniently" forget about all the testing HSV did with different tyre brands and then also forget that HSV claimed it was about 1.5 seconds quicker around the track with these tyres compared to anything else...doesn't stop those with myopic vision claiming it would be easier for HSV to select even stickier tyres

I did a quick search on my favourite tyre review website and there are real user concerns about the way these new super sticky Continental Sport Contact 5P's are wearing out so quickly. Same site doesn't report the same user concerns with the sticky brands referred too below.

Shod an R Spec up with 275 section Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's and see how it goes then
Old 10-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #299
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah mate some people "convieniently" forget about all the testing HSV did with different tyre brands and then also forget that HSV claimed it was about 1.5 seconds quicker around the track with these tyres compared to anything else...doesn't stop those with myopic vision claiming it would be easier for HSV to select even stickier tyres

I did a quick search on my favourite tyre review website and there are real user concerns about the way these new super sticky Continental Sport Contact 5P's are wearing out so quickly. Same site doesn't report the same user concerns with the sticky brands referred too below.

Shod an R Spec up with 275 section Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's and see how it goes then
Kudo's to HSV for putting good tyres on their cars, maybe FPV could learn a thing or two from them lol
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #300
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah mate some people "convieniently" forget about all the testing HSV did with different tyre brands and then also forget that HSV claimed it was about 1.5 seconds quicker around the track with these tyres compared to anything else...
No wait, WHAT? So you are saying HSV tested a hole heap of performance tyres for their performance car, and then they went with the tyre that delivered great performance?

Are prospective owners aware of this lunacy?

Did HSV not know that FPV run crap tyres as their stock items, therefore HSV fitting decent rubber from the factory makes it unfair to compare a stock FPV and a stock HSV?

Seriously, taking issue with the GTS having better rubber and asking how GTS would go against a GT fitted with similar rubber is like Holden blokes that used to say, "Yeah, but put a blower on a V8 Commodore and it would kick the GT..."

Stock for stock, GTS has better rubber than GT. You blame HSV for this, I blame FPV.

I take it you have now fitted your Goodyear's? While back you were talking up their performance, but when asked for specific detail stated you hadn't fitted them yet (sorry, you had fitted them in your signature but hadn't fitted them to the actual car).
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread