Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
borntoshop666

Default Thoughts regards Extended Car Warranty

Hi all,
I am just after some Feedback and Experiences with the "Carsales extended Manufacturers Warranty". This had been a Redbook Product but is now marketed by Carsales.com.au. They use Virginia Surety as Underwriter.
I have a MY 2017 MD Mondeo Titanium Diesel, it is just shy of 100000km [95496 to be exact], so I am considering either the Ford offered Warranty or the Carsales one.
Ford costs $1600 approx. for 2 Years with limited km
Carsales costs $930 comprehensive for 2 Years with unlimited km

Car is always serviced at a Ford Dealer.
As I am doing a lot of km/year, I think it could be worth it.
I intend to keep the Car at least another 12 months.

thanks for the Help
regards Michael
Old 16-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
bundybear75

Default Re: Thoughts regards Extended Car Warranty

With any extended warranties - read the fine print. At the end of the day they are an insurance policy - not a warranty as such.

Claim limits on different types of issues - usually well short of the amount needed to make the repair.

I had the statutory 5000km warranty with my current Mondeo purchased through Pickles (backed by AWN - The Australian Warranty Network) - The speed sensor failed in the transmission within 400km and I had to jump through multiple hoops to get it repaired. That included taking it to multiple repairers for assessments and quotes (some over 100km from my home address)
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
borntoshop666

Smile Re: Thoughts regards Extended Car Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
With any extended warranties - read the fine print. At the end of the day they are an insurance policy - not a warranty as such.

Claim limits on different types of issues - usually well short of the amount needed to make the repair.

I had the statutory 5000km warranty with my current Mondeo purchased through Pickles (backed by AWN - The Australian Warranty Network) - The speed sensor failed in the transmission within 400km and I had to jump through multiple hoops to get it repaired. That included taking it to multiple repairers for assessments and quotes (some over 100km from my home address)
Thanks Bundybear75
the Comprehensive Cover with the "Carsales" one would cover Repairs up to the Market Value of the Car. I did read the 18 Pager of the PDS. Some wording is pretty vague, but then so is the one from Ford/Allianz
thanks for replying
Old 16-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoshop666 View Post
Thanks Bundybear75
the Comprehensive Cover with the "Carsales" one would cover Repairs up to the Market Value of the Car. I did read the 18 Pager of the PDS. Some wording is pretty vague, but then so is the one from Ford/Allianz
thanks for replying
I bought a 2 year extended ford manufacturer's warranty - and this means everything except for consumables (tyres, battery, brake rotors and brake pads) is warrantied no matter how much is money is involved in the repairs for the period of the insurance or distance limit.

I would be quite perturbed about that up to the "market value of the car" part, because that "might" mean that the money value of repairs can not exceed the car value in total. It would not take too many things to fail to get to such a limit. And where do they pitch that value? At the beginning of the insurance period, or the end, or an average of the two. Remember, if it isn't written then, in insurance terms, it doesn't exist.

Also, there are quite a number of variations in what allianz offers, but there is only one Ford manufacturer's extended warranty, the others have a lot of cutouts. And the cost is variable as well, because of dealership margins, so it pays to shop around to get a feel for the premium cost.

When I bought mine, the insurance request was vetted through a dealer before acceptance - I suspect they were looking at distance covered to assess the risk factor. Since you are close to the manufacturer's distance limit this could have an effect on getting this type accepted - I had covered less than 23,000 on the car at the two year point in the three year new car warranty.

Good luck

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Aulpgute

Just my 10c worth it depends on the car make/model/year as to how their longer term durability looks. I just paid $2850 for my wife's 2016 Porsche Cayenne warranty to be extended an extra two years as it's 3 years just ran out. About a year ago in warranty (thank goodness) it was one of the first to destroy a transfer case which would have equated to $19k out of warranty. It's only got 60,000kms on it and I intend to keep it another year or so therefore it was a no brainer. The other factor was also that on the used market that kind of car is harder to sell without any warranty. In years gone by with Corolla's, Hilux's and more generic and at the time bullet proof cars I never bothered and got away with it. Definity read the fine print though, in Porsches case it was the identical new car warranty just extended two years
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post