Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
robjunior

Question what globes for heater controls au?

just wondering if anyone knows what globes are used to light up the heater controls please? i when to 2 parts places today and no body could help me.any part numbers or picture of the globes would be good.surely ford isnt the only place to have them. thanks

robjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Would you consider a LED upgrade?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Would you consider a LED upgrade?
It's possible but not for the faint hearted. The biggest problem is soldering the LED's to the circuit board. The coper runs like to break.

I'm part way through (only in the AC control and inside/outside air at the moment) so i know how painful it is, but the entire lights will eventully be LED.

It may be easier to head to Ford first to find the part number and what they are like, them go else where and see what they have.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
robjunior

Question

i went to ford today to find out what globes are used to light up the heater controls.they told me that the globes are part of the circuit board and the whole board would need to be changed.is this true? also is it possible to resolder a new globe instead of changing the circuit board.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjunior
also is it possible to resolder a new globe instead of changing the circuit board.
Yes it is possible. Not to hard to get to the board, hardest part is getting the fascia out, then it's simple disassembly.

I've changed half of the globes already in that board. Will hopefull soon do the rest.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'll be doing the lot... just not for a bit longer... need more parts to come in first...
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

pm sent...

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The globes are avalible as a replacement part from Ford

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

The globes can be changed, get parts from ford
You need to take the whole centre piece out, not the easiest of jobs
I recommend changing all the globes you can see, I think there are 3 or 4 from memory while it is out. The a/c button is another one to blow regularly
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
robjunior

the guys at ford told me that s1 had the globes soldered to the circuit board and the s2/3 had removable globes.i have a s1.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

I'm glad someone has asked this question because I noticed this morning that it looks quite faint behind basically the blue part of the temperature control as well as the air flow settings. I would say that a globe has busted so to hear that the series II's had removable globes makes me feel a little bit better. I guess it is just a matter of trying to pull the facia off. Is that hard?
Leon.

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
robjunior

what a pain in the bum it is to fix a blown globe on a s1 heater controls. after getting the circuit board out and unsoldering the globe i went to a few parts places only to be told they dont have those globes.so i visited a few wreckers and end up changing the whole thing as no wrecker would seperate the circuit board from the controls.anyway all fixed now but what a saga to just change a blown globe.
Old 16-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
aublackxr8
Starter Motor

Default Re: what globes for heater controls au?

Quote:
what a pain in the bum it is to fix a blown globe on a s1 heater controls. after getting the circuit board out and unsoldering the globe i went to a few parts places only to be told they dont have those globes.so i visited a few wreckers and end up changing the whole thing as no wrecker would seperate the circuit board from the controls.anyway all fixed now but what a saga to just change a blown globe.
Quite frankly the whole series 1 heater control unit is a pain in the bum! My original had a problem with the Ac/Ac Max switch as well as blown bulbs. Sourced one on Ebay with the whole oval shaped front attached to it (which is OK because I want to get that one sprayed black). There are little blue plastic sleeves on the bulbs. If you want brighter lights just remove these plastic sleeves and it exposes the bare bulbs. By the way, they ARE filament bulbs and not LEDs. Be careful when dismantling the unit...there is this little button that hits a tiny switch on the circuit board and is pressed in when you turn the knob that directs heat to various vents, ie. feet, dash, demister. you must make sure you don't lose it. I am going to take the current circuit board that I have out of the car to somebody that works with circuit boards and get LEDs to replace the bulbs and also to check that all the resistors and diodes on the board work ok. Why is this thing so complicated?? What was wrong with the mechanical levers that were on earlier Fords. For Chrissake, all these things do is open and close flaps and open and close the heater tap!

Oh, does anybody know if the series 2 control unit will fit into an series 1, ie. will the little plugs in the back and the wiring all plug in? My guess is that it won't be compatible but can anybody confirm?
aublackxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
midgetyone

Quote:
the guys at ford told me that s1 had the globes soldered to the circuit board and the s2/3 had removable globes.i have a s1.
I'm glad someone mentioned this as I was going to do the nice blue LED upgrade. I have a series 3 and it would be very handy to know if they are plug in and what type?

Cheers
Pacemaker 4499 with 200cpsi cat & 2 1/2' Sports exhaust
SS Induction Kit
midgetyone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Bumping an old thread (well, obviously)! AUII with replaceable fascia bulbs

Sorted with the T-1/4 non wedge globes for clock and heater dials, stuck on the AC switch illumination; similar but much smaller non wedge incandescent. Narva don’t have a listing this small, and a modestly thorough search of the web hasn’t informed me of any part number.

Can anybody assist with either a P/N or source for this globe, please?

Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

For reference, I've found this sort of bulb spec'd as a T1×0,25W
  • Dimensions approx. 3mm dia × 7mm long, plain wire leads
Jaycar sell a 12V rated bulb with vinyl coated wire tails that may be possible to adapt by shaving away the insulation. Will know tomorrow - hoping so, as it's sub $2.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #17
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

you are 2 quick
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Done, no pics.

Executive Summary: Ignore the dead bulb or seek out an OEM spec replacement.

The Jaycar bulb SL2685 can work, but it took a lot of fiddling. Basically it’s too long, even when carefully trimmed. I completely dismantled the panel and removed the AC button, from it I took the clear diffuser and shaved off 3mm.

Being brittle, the white plastic “chassis” of the control panel lost a couple of clip legs. Now re-fixed with dabs of urethane, all globes test correctly.

A sneaky problem with the clock illumination, the epoxy protectant over the circuit board was stopping the new bulb’s contacts from correctly meeting the conductive tracks. I built up the contact area that engages with the bulbholder flange using a thin layer of solder. Old school but gets it done!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #19
tbro4123

Did these on the weekend, Narva 47734 is the part number

Be careful with LED replacements as some don't fit due to trying to put a square head in a round hole, amazing that eh!
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yep.

It was only the AC button light which gave me grief.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Just a motivator for the people who toil at this, mine all illuminated.

3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
vapour_nudge
Starter Motor

OK, if you want to replace the bulb behind the air-con switch it is different to the bulbs that light up the heater controls. Of course, it only lights when you have the fan on as well.
So, switch the fan on and turn on the air-con.

Now, I have no affiliation with the seller on E-bay. I just wanted to find a replacement bulb after lots of searching some red twist-in LEDs that work. These just go straight in, remove the old bulb by twisting and then just put one of these in. Now, if it doesn't work, just remove it, turn it 180 degrees and put in as the LED types need to go in a certain way. I marked the back with a black felt tip pen so I knew which way it was previously when it didn't work.

Here is the link to the e-bay seller. These are red, the old one had an orange cover nut I was happy with the red
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29321448...0AAOSwLnBXW7dh

Or search for this: 10 x RED T3 8MM Neo Wedge 1 SMD 1210 LED Car Bulb HVAC Climate Control Light 12V
vapour_nudge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2023, 01:20 PM   #23
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aircon globe Bulb AU Falcon Series 2

My aircon button bulb has blown and as not having it peed me off so when this popped up I grabbed it. Part Number and size shown for reference.

Old 06-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You’ve confirmed it fits?
Old 06-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #25
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
You’ve confirmed it fits?

Yes it is the right one, while perusing one of the local wrecking yards I removed this one from an AU that someone had "disassembled"
2 users like this post: