Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 26-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
twangster
herding cats as usual...

Question Cougar mysterious controls

Hi, my '99 Cougar auto has a slider on the right of the gear selector that shows E or S. I'm assuming this is economy or sport, but wondering what it actually does.

Also there is a control on the dashboard next to the instrument cluster dimmer roller switch that looks the same but has detents and numbers on it. I have no clue about that one!

Any attempts to relieve my ignorance will be gratefully accepted.
Old 27-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
REDDYZ

Default Re: Cougar mysterious controls

In sport more transmission responds quicker, holds gears longer keeping engine at high revs basically to keep up the acceleration. Am not sure whether sport mode in Cougars also alters how secondary throttle in LIM opens. It usually opens after 3000rpm and in sports mode it might open quicker.

The other roller you see is the headlight beam level adjuster. Cheers.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
twangster
herding cats as usual...

Thank you very much REDDYZ.
Old 27-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
REDDYZ

Cheers. Welcome to AFF. Feel free to post any questions/queries about the Cougar.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post