Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #91
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

As for the driveshafts, I've done a bit of sleuthing.

The LR (Mk1) Focus has very close to the same front hubs as the WQ (Mk6) Fiesta, and has the same spline specs. They both have 25mm out dia spline, 23mm inner dia spline, and 53.4 'seal' diameter. The threads on the end of the shaft are all M22 x 1.5. The MkII Focus has very different out driveshafts to that, with a 36mm outer dia and an 'internal thead' on the wheel end.

Versions of the LR Focus also had an MTX75 gearbox, according to Wikpedia, for the 2.0 16v Zetec, and the 1.8 Diesels. No Diesels in Oz, but there were quite a few 2.0's. The only gotcha might be the right driveshafter extender mount - which may or may not be different bolted to the side of the Zetec engine versus the Duratec HE.

According to www.onlineparts.co.uk, the ST150 and the MkI Focus driveshaft lengths are pretty damn close. The LH shafts are both 610-616 mm long depending on the brand. But the RH shafts on the WQ are 915-930 vs 943-946 on the LR. This may or may not be solely because of the different between the MTX and the IB5 diff spacing.

The real kicker is doing the same track width comparison on the cars themselves. From above, the WQ advertised dimensions and calculated hub to hub again:

length:3921 mm
width:1683 mm
height:1468 mm
wheelbase:2486 mm
front track width:1464 mm
rear track width:1434 mm
ground clearance:140 mm

ST150 Standard Wheel Offset is 52.5mm, which means the hub to hub dimensions are 1569mm

The LR Focus:

length: 4174mm
width: 1683mm
height: 1468mm
wheelbase: 2615mm
Front Track Width*: 1494mm (*Measured with 185/65R14 tyres)
Rear Track Width: 1487mm

185/65R14 Offset: 43.5mm

Hub to Hub = 1581mm!!! That's only 12mm difference in total, or 6mm either side, which is within what I see as the error margin for those shafts!

NOW we have something worthwhile to try!

Lukeyson
Old 08-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #92
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbomk View Post
Had a look at the mtx75 conversion while it was all out of the car and all i can say is one bracket to mount the box at the chassis and the bottom mound look like a big hack job, so not happy at that. Also the master cylinder were the pipe goes to the slave is different to mine and these guys just cut through the pipe instead of disconnecting it and pulling out the master cylinder as it looks like a different one from the original. I started thinking deposit refund time, unless they can sort something out.
I've been looking at the piping situation for the clutch. At the moment it looks like I'd need to find that pipe from an LS focus manual to feed from the Fiesta Clutch Master cylinder to the gearbox - but the big question is whether the quick-fit hydraulic lines would work together, as Microcat shows the ends of the lines being slightly different.

When I go looking for an LS focus manual gear selector and cables I'll ask for the master-to-slave plumbing as well and inspect.

Luke
Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #93
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Hmm, possible spanner. The 2.0L 16v LR (Mk1) had the MTX75, but there were 2.0L variants that used the IB5, which was also used on the 1.8L models.

There's a possibility Australia did not get the 2.0L 16v Zetec LR's, so all our models might only be IB5's.

Oh well, continuing to search. If anyone has a Manual LR Focus 2.0L and are prepared to share your vin, I could look it up on the Ford ETIS website and find out what gearbox it is. I'm suspecting that not many people are reading this, let alone those with that exact car.

At the very worst case, at least now that we have the specs of the shafts, I could at least get them made up with the length and spline sizings I'm after. Perhaps.

Luke
Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #94
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'm still not able to find if any MTX75 LR's came to Australia. I can't even find replacement CV's that seem specific to the MTX. I can find CV's for '1.8 and 2.0 5 speeds' ut that will likely be the IB5 transmission if it is common to both. There are shafts for a 6-speed, but the only 6 speed I'm aware if is in the ST170. Those transmissions are bigger again, and will only fit in the Fiesta if it is cut.

Possible way forward:

LS Driveshafts, fit LR outer CV's to it. They seem to have the same 23mm spline shafts. OR, since I thought I had a problem with the length of the LS shafts, get LR shafts and fit the MTX75 inner LS CV's to it.

Either way will require getting seriously greasy and having to get a CV puller and boot clamp crimp tools. But as a cheap option, it might come close to working.

I have some LS driveshafts already as part of a $50 MTX75 purchase, so it might be worthwhile getting some LR shafts for the hybrid swap.

Lukeyson
Old 19-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #95
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great posts Luke.
I'm reading them.. Im mad keen on a 6 spd conversion and will buy the box soon.. Just got to sort out the finer detailwhat were your findings with the 6spd in a wq xr4 /ST150
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #96
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I didn't fully go down the 6 speed path research wise sorry. It was borked on the head at a few places where I asked about it. Either nobody has done it, or the 6 speed box is too big for the Fiesta chassis without cutting. The IB5+ is already quite a tight fit, and the MTX75 is tighter again. So given it is a tried fit and the MTX75 is an easy find in Oz behind LS/LT Focus Duratecs, that's the direction I'll be going. I have a cheap MTX box here with shafts for test fitting and fabbing up the mounts. I at least know what CV's need to go on the end of each shaft, but shaft-length is still in question. I've at least found a local shop that can machine and spline up shafts if I need any made.

The 6 speed getrag in the ST170 does seem like a smaller box, and those shafts would fit a Fiesta for both size and spline & knuckle, but given the ST170 was a Zetec engine the bell housing will be different. The 6 Speed in the XR5T is also fitted to a different 'Duratec' Volvo engine, so the bell housing will also not match. The 6 speed in the Diesel Focus 'Duratorq' also won't fit - the Duratorq was a development of the Zetec engine so has Zetec bell housing pattern - which is epic for LR Focus 6 speed fitment, but not for a Duratec.

Which leaves us with the Mazda boxes....

Luke
Old 21-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #97
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep..
i was looking at sp23,25 boxes with the LSD centres.. from the duratecs..
wreckers have them cheap and can get one for around $250 in sydney(via ebay) then startplaying.. what doest fit adds to the challenge(so long as it bolts up to the block..
Id get measuments before I bought it to make sure it clears the chassis rails.. drive shafts are either custom or cut and shut..
when I get the time to pull it off the road if have a closer look into it..
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #98
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Since I'm slowly chipping away at the MTX75 still, and engine mounts are on my radar, I thought I'd pay a little bit of attention to the drivers side engine support mount. One thing I'd been curious about from the start is the extra 14mm deck height, and the impact that might have on spacing. Well, from a mount point of view, I'm also curious to see if the engine mount retains the same distance from the crank, or the same distance from the deck. What I want is to keep the crank in the same position so as to keep the driveshafts where they were.

So I hunted down a bunch of pics. All adjusted slightly to try and keep the same orientation for comparison.

Ford Duratec HE 2.0 timing cover

Ford Duratec HE 2.3 timing cover

Mazda Duratec 2.3 Timing Cover

The key to the change is the bolt pattern around the perimeter. In all images, look at the bolt pattern on the left or right starting from the top going down. On the left, the gap between the 2nd and 3rd just above the idler pulley location is bigger on the 2.3 vs the 2.0. Same on the right, the p/steer mounts seem to have the same gap, but the gap between the 2nd and 3rd bolt holes is different. Which says to me that the whole engine casting is slightly stretch in that section, rather than just at the deck height - which would have meant a change between the 1st and 2nd holes, not the 2nd and 3rd. I note also that since the P/Steer mount stays the same distance from the deck, so the belt needs to be a little longer to reach the p/steer pulley on the 2.3.

Now, the engine mount. Did it follow the deck height or stay the same distance to the crank? Well, I still can't tell for certain. But running a straight edge between the top two (left and right) mount holes on the 2.0 just skims the bottom of the left engine mount bolt surface. Doing the same on the two 2.3 covers shows that there's a gap. So on first glance, it looks like the casting for the engine mount stays fixed to the crankshaft and not the deck height - but could that just be parallax error? It's looking like I'll need a proper measurement to know.

What does this mean for me?

(1) if the engine mount is the same distance to the crank, I have no changes to make.

(2) if it is the same distance to the deck height, I will need to make up a 14mm spacer for the engine mount to lift the crank to be the same height as it is now, and get slightly longer high tensile bolts to compensate.

I have read how doing the 2.0 to 2.3 swap in a Focus has required slightly altered engine mounts, which is another pointer to (2). So we'll find out one way or the other.

Luke
Old 04-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #99
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Also of note in those images is the difference in the Crankshaft Position Sensor mount - which is to the left of the crankshaft 'circle' and slightly lower of crank centreline. The Ford 2.0 and 2.3 has the same distance between the threaded mount points - but the Mazda has a larger gap.

Now, that might actually depend on the year model of Mazda 2.3 or 2.5, but it is consistent with what I have been reading - that we may need a Ford 2.3 timing cover to be sure that all the Ford sensors and parts will mount correctly.

Luke
Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #100
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Thanks for all the interesting info Luke, much appreciated & a great read!

Ive got a 04 Zetec Fiesta & wonder sometimes what other engines can fit under the bonnet after reading this thread even though im happy with the power lol. I love my Zetec very much, it handles like a go-kart.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #101
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Er..... Feeling like a bit of a douche at the moment.

I took a measurement of the top face of the engine mount to the top of the timing cover in the 2.0 I have here - only for it to dawn in me that that isn't the top of the block, it's the top of the head. So the head/block interface probably IS down closer to the 3rd mount hole from the top.

(Forehead slap)

It was pretty close to 55mm by the way. There's an SP25 at work that I will see if I can measure tomorrow.

Luke
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #102
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Measurement from top face of engine mount to top of timing cover/bottom of tappet cover on a 2009 Mazda Sp25 is - 45mm.

That's not what I was expecting.

Looking at the mazda engine mount though, it has an incredibly tall mount tower between the engine mount itself and the top of the wheel arch.

So by that' it is look like I'd need some additional 24mm in height between the HE 2.0 Duratec and a Mazda 2.5 Duratec where the engine mount bolts to the wheel arch in the Fiesta.

Luke
Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #103
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I just found an amazing link listing all the part numbers between the different Duratec 2.3 engines for both Mazda and Ford. Popping here for safe keeping:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/e...3_DURATEC.HTML

Edit:

I found the top level page for that site, with links to a range of Ford engines. Some pages more useful than others. There are listings for the 2.0 port injected and 2.5 Duratecs, but neither have as much detail as the 2.3.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/e...uide+book.HTML

Luke

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 06-06-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #104
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Not a huge amount to report.

The IB5+ is now out of the wreck and I'm about to start making some comparative measurements between that and the MTX75. Next is to fit the MTX75 back in there sans flywheel and clutch to make life easier, and to start measuring up for custom mounts.

I've still had no luck finding an LR Focus with MTX75 in Australia. Every single one I've VIN checked has been an IB5. Getting those driveshafts is proving a challenge.

I have a shifter and cables coming from a 2007 LT Focus Cabrio 2.0 Manual that I've vin-checked to make sure it had an MTX75, and in the process found a bunch of other parts that will be massively useful, so will be keen to measure up how to make an adapter plate for that.

One thing I'd not investigated before is the dual mass flywheel to single mass flywheel situation and whether there are stronger clutches that are available for MTX75/Duratec applications. Getting a good clutch with converted flywheel with enough strength to support future forced induction looks like it might be more expensive than the whole 2.5 engine itself... seeking some suggestions on that front.

Luke
Old 25-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #105
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey Mate, ive got a 2.0 focus with an MTX-75 in it for sure.

I dont know of any Australian Focii LR with an IB5 gearbox.

The only two engines to come out where 1.8 and 2.0 and as far as i was aware they all had MTX75 engines, the 1.6 in the fiesta's WP where IB5 and the Xr4's are IB5+.

Regardless, the LR MTX75 wont mate up to the Duratech, you will need the Duratech MTX-75 available on the LS/LT models. However the internals are more than likely identical.

I dont have my VIN with my, but i know i have an MTX as i purchased a ford racing Torsen T2 years ago for it and it was MTX fit.

Shoot me a PM if you need more info.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #106
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, that's some encouraging news.

The few sources I've had said that most of the 1.8 and 2.0 LR's sold in Oz were IB5's, and only some later 2.0's had MTX's. So far the few dozen Manual 2.0 VINs I've checked have been IB5's. Any chance you could PM me your vin? That would give me some encouragement to keep looking for a 2.0 with an MTX. The MTX I have is from an LS 2.0, the shafter outer CV's won't fit the LR/Fiesta pattern.

Also, have you found anywhere that sells the front driveshafts that definitely fit your MTX LR?

I know that the earlier IB5 bolts to the Zetec engine, and that the IB5+ is the Duratec HE bell housing pattern. The Duratorq in the LS/LT is also the Zetec bell housing pattern so the later Diesel Manuals should also fit an LR. The newer WS/WT fiesta 1.6 had an IB5 as well, and that seems to be the old Zetec bell housing pattern - even though the engine itself is now called a Duratec. The IB6 in the newer Ecoboost/ST Fiestas has the same bell housing pattern again. So the Duratec HE pattern on the IB5+ in the ST150 seems to be an orphan.

There's an LR 1.8 manual down the road and www.etis.ford.com shows it as an IB5. I was thinking of grabbing the driveshafts from that just for the outer CV's. Here's the lookup results for it.

Lukeyson
Old 26-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #107
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Yay. The fabled MTX75 LR does exist. Now finally confirmed.

Link may not last very long, but there's a 2.0 LR Manual Zetec for sale in Sydney that published the VIN:WF0BXXGCDB4C23474

ETIS confirms it is an MTX75.

Right, now that that's finally confirmed, how easy is it going to be to find some shafts from a wreck just for sizing?

Lukeyson
Old 27-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #108
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Just been spending more time getting my head into exactly what the options are regarding CV's a driveshafts.

The outer CV spline that slides into the stub axle for the WQ XR4 is identical to the LR/MkI focus. We've established that. One thing I've found, though, is that in the US, when the rest of the world went to the MKII/LS/LT Focus, the US stuck with their own evolution of the MkI - known as the 'AU'. The MkI had Duratec engines in 2.0 and 2.3 litre sizes, ran the MTX box, but kept the outer 25 spline & Nut hub sizing. The spline is always 25 Tooth, with a 55.5 to 56mm depth to the CV face, and a 32mm main nut.

The MTX gearbox spline is always 26 tooth. The IB5 is a 23 tooth. So that specifies both ends of the axle. The whole axle on the WQ Fiesta XR4 is a 25 spline outer with a 23 spline inner for the IB5. What we want are shafts with a 25 spline outer and a 26 spline inner for the MTX75. That is what you get on the LR Focus with MTX75 - subject to the length being right, and they seem awful close. Are there other options without the LR Focus shafts? Like mix and matching ends of existing shafts? Possibly, but there is one more thing to consider. What is the thickness of the actual shaft itself, and the splines that fit into the inner sides of each CV?

To mix and match CV's, you need to make sure that the spline on the end of the shafts in between the CV's are the same. The problem here is that there are a few options. And they are 21, 22 and 23 spline for most Fiesta/Focus, but 32 Spline for the US 2.3 Litre focus.!

The WQ Fiesta XR4 appears to have 23 spline shafts. So the CV part numbers for the outer CV's on both sides quote 25 spline outer (Hub) splines, and 23 spline inner (Shaft) splines. But other models in the range will have 22 or 21 spline inner shafts. The LR Focus is the same. Where it gets tricky is which model has which? The auto, the 1.6/ 1.8, the 2.0. Who knows. That's the guess work, because when you buy a whole axle it very rarely specifies the 'inner' shaft spline.

I have all the part numbers though. I'll list them here. I'm going to use FEBEST part numbers though for many of them, including some of the US CV parts. But for the whole shafts for the US parts I'll list Ford codes. NOTE that I do not yet have compressed length specs for the 32 spline parts, so I do not yet know if the US shafts would need to be shortened.

23 spline parts:

Outer CV - 23 spline inner, 25 spline outer - 2110-FOC or 2110-FOCIIAU (FEBEST)
Inner CV Left - 23 spline inner, 26 spline outer - 2111-CB320ATLH or 2111-CB420LH (FEBEST)
Inner CV Right incl intermediate shaft - 2111-CB320ATRH or 2111-CB420RH (FEBEST)

32 Spline Parts:

Febest do the outer CV and intermediate shaft, but not the inner CV.

Outer CV - 32 spline inner, 25 spline outer - 2110-FOCAU (FEBEST)
Intermediate Shaft - 28 spline inner, 26 spline outer - 2112-FOCAU (FEBEST)

The whole shafts for these using FORD part numbers:

Inner CV + Outer CV+ SHAFT LH - 8S4Z-3B437-B
Inner CV + Outer CV + SHAFT RH - 8S4Z-3B436-B
Intermediate Shaft - 8S4Z-3A329-A

Lukeyson
Old 28-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #109
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quick note: rereading my comments, I cringe at typo's and errors that I can no longer go back and fix. Some notes:

(1) Early posts about spline specs assumed the measurements were shaft diameter in mm - but I later discovered that was spline count. Please keep that in mind when reading the earlier posts.

(2) I have mentioned 32mm and 22mm for the outer spline nut on the 25 spline outer CV's. 32mm is the spanner size of the nut, 22mm is the thread size. Just to clear that up....

Luke
Old 28-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #110
photn
AFF Post NAZI

have a look at www.rockauto.com mate, its US Based and basically has all parts available for the focus, along with part numbers, replacment part numbers etc.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #111
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Will do, thanks for the help.

I've turned my attention today to capturing more measurements of the IB5+ vs the MTX. I'm feeling confident I can fabricate an upper gearbox mount now that I've captured all the dimensions - height from top of the bellhousing, depth from the face of the bell housing, and sideways distance from bellhousing top left mount location. I did a bunch of measurements of the clutch centre to axle/diff centre offset. I put something through the diff itself and measured the distance between the the spline mating faces. I took the compressed measurements of all the axles I have. That allows me to get full tip-to-tip measurements so I can compare against the track-width stuff I did earlier.

One bit that drew my attention was the lower torque-rod mount at the firewall side of the gearbox under the driveshafts. Those things are quite different between fiesta and focus and not transferrable. LR Focus has an intermediate bushing with 2 bushes 90 degress to one another. The LS/LT Focus embeds the bush in the mount bracket. Looking at how it had been done previously in some UK conversions I've seen - it looks like they've used a Focus LR mount bushing, reversed it, and made up a pair of odd looking brackets bolting to the transmissions to hold it. It just looked a little messy. That might still be out only option.

But I decided to take a look at how other MTX75 or MMT6 gearboxes were mounted, and it seems like an option worth testing would be to use the torque-rod gearbox mount from a MkIII Mondeo or a Jaguar Type X 4 Cyl manual with the MTX75 - although I don't think either of them came to Australia. The V6 Mondeo was also an MTX, so perhaps if that's the same for the Jaguar I might be in luck on that front. With that mount on the gearbox side, I think I could come close to being able to get an OEM Fiesta torque-rod bush and modify it slightly to work in that application. It's worth a closer look anyway. The MkIV Mondeo changed the mount again to be more like the LS/LT Focus, so that's not an option. I'm curious as to whether there are other MTX applications in Oz - like maybe the 2.3 Litre 2WD Escape.

But now the challenge of getting that mount bracket! I tried the italian place, but it looks like they charge shipping by weight, and the shipping for an engine mount bracket is something like 4 times the cost of the bracket itself. Baulk.

My best bet may be NZ, where the MkIII Mondeo was sold and shipping may not be so bad. Either that or get lucky and find one of the rare X Type manuals being wrecked. So I'll put out some queries and see how I go.

Lukeyson
Old 30-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #112
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I whipped up a quick pic of the various engine mounts from Fiesta/IB5, Focus LR, Focus LS/LT/LV/LW, Mondeo 96-2000, Mondeo MkIII (Not for Oz)/XType Jag and the Mondeo 2007-2014. Pics show how the MkIII Mondeo/Jag mount look like they would come close to doing the right job. There are Manual X-Types being wrecked in Oz so I have sent a few queries. I have sent some across the ditch to NZ as well.

Lukeyson
Old 30-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #113
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

After taking some measurements of the IB5+ Fiesta axles, I tried to do a comparison of total width using the MTX75 transmission measurements, and the measurements of some LR Focus MTX75 driveshafts off the interwebs. The results show a consistent difference of 10 to 20mm that we also saw in the track widths comparison. It will certainly be close.

I originally posted an image here, but realised I made some mistakes. So I have edited this and removed it and will add to a later post - especially seeing as how after a little while I can no longer make any edits...

Luke

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 30-06-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #114
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Today - sizing up the adapter plate for the selector. After some cut fingers and cursing, the IB5+ Selector & cables are out, and I cut up some carboard to fit over the original selector pins. Then I set about finding a location that the Focus Shifter would fit within the plastic cover and would still move about correctly in the shifter boot. Looking good.

The Focus shifter is closest, the Fiesta shifter sort of lines up OK.

The key to this was the top-left pin of the original Fiesta pins. The fiestapins are the ones with holes through the cardboard. The top left pin needs to fit in one of the cavities under the focus shifter. Rule for scale if anyone wants it, but I plan to draw up a more precise version using caliper measurements of the distance between the original locations.

Luke
Old 30-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #115
El Tazo
Dick off, Mr Slattery

I'm following this with interest!

BF Typhoon - manual, bolt-ons, noice tunes, abused every time it's driven

Previous Projects:
Festy - Daily XR4 Grandad's ZJ: Laid to rest Danny's EL Fairmont - Barra-swapped, left home

How To's:
A half-decent 6.5" speaker install in an EF/EL 85A Clevo alternator upgrade
El Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #116
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I just had a gobsmack moment I needed to share.

An eBay seller in Sydney called 'automotiveskills' (sorry mate, I have to call this out) has a manual X-Type jaguar being wrecked, and for the Gearbox Lower mount and torque restrictor he asked $440. I baulked, queried him on it, surely he accidentlly added a zero by mistake, and showed him a video of how easy it was to take off, and he defended the price. I found another auction selling the WHOLE GEARBOX for $475. This guy has to be taking the ****. A brand new one from UK is even less.

For comparison, I can find the mount itself overseas for as little as 9 Euro. So it looks like buying from overseas and shipping is still less than 1/8th the price of buying in Oz.

Nobody in NZ seems to want to respond. Don't know what the go is there. Perhaps the part is too small for them to worry about. Or maybe their Internet is so fast they are too busy watching 4k Netflix to get back to me.....

Looks like I'll be getting one from Lithuania, shipped to oz, for about $50 total.

Lukeyson
Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #117
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8falcons View Post
Great posts Luke.
I'm reading them.. Im mad keen on a 6 spd conversion and will buy the box soon.. Just got to sort out the finer detailwhat were your findings with the 6spd in a wq xr4 /ST150
Actually, since deep diving into the MTX75, and finding that the IB6 is the 6 speed version of the IB5 with the Zetec bolt pattern, it appears that the MMT6 is the 6 speed version of the MTX75, although I have yet to see whether it has the Duratec bolt pattern - but given they were available when the Duratecs were still running (prior to Ecoboost) it is likely. The dude from SiCo developments in the UK did attempt a partial MMT6 swap in the past, but only got as far as doing a test fit before moving onto projects for newer models. It does appear that the MMT6 will fit. Those transmissions could be found in some Mondeo's in Australia, and possibly some higher spec non XR5T Focii. As they are in newer models, however, they'll still be a bit expensive at the moment.

Here is a thread on the subject - there's no detail, but there is a small pic. All the same custom work I'm currently doing for the MTX75 would have to be done for the MMT6.

Luke
Old 13-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #118
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The MTX75 Torque Rod Bracket from Lithuania has arrived already. So I did a quick run of photo's showing the LS Focus with embedded bush vs the Mondeo MkIII/Jaguar X-Type bracket which I am hoping will fit the small end of the Fiesta Torque Rod/Restrictor with a little machine and adjusting. This specific bracket came from a Jaguar.

Luke
Old 14-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #119
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I've had several stabs now trying to get the MTX75 up and into the XR4, to size up the available space and to see how the mounts will fit up. Previous attempts failed because my transmission jack was **** - the jack head itself kept contacting the chassis and wouldn't let me get the box up into place. So I got a replacement 'head' for it, and tried again. Things were looking a lot more positive .... for awhile.....

But I have a new roadblock. The IB5+ has gear linkages on the front of the box. The MTX75 has linkages on the top of the box. In the Australian XR4, the ABS/ESP Module sits up where the top mounted gear linkages go. Not many ST150's in the UK were sold with ESP, so that problem doesn't exist for them.

I saw it mentioned in one thread about relocating an ABS module for an MTX75 install - and didn't pay enough attention to where I read it. The difficulty factor has just stepped up a notch....

Luke
Old 14-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #120
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The Mk60 ABS Module in the XR4, with both ABS and stability control, is mounted on an angle up against the firewall. The bracket itself has part number 2S61 2B389-AC. The bracket itself mounts to the chassis in 3 locations - one on the firewall, one of the top of the passenger chassis rail, and one on the inside-side of the rail. (The ABS module then mounts to the bracket in 3 locations via large rubber mounting grommets).

It looks to me like I can swivel the ABS module up on the firewall locator, which would get the module up out of the way. I'd be willing to bet I could do this without having to modify any of the brake fluid lines - i.e. they should be able to 'bend' with the pivot.

The bracket would have to modified with additions to re-attach to the two chassis rail locations, OR if I could find a 2nd mount, I could make a hybrid of the two and weld together.

The diagram below outlines how I think this could work.

Lukeyson