Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
maccamom
Terri Enthusiast

Default Another one bites the dust

Yet another component manufacturer moves offshore (almost all of it anyway).

Media Release

Old 24-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia is a tuff place to make/save a buck, i can`t see this changeing in the future sadly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what, no government hand outs to keep it here. Autoliv must have had a non union workforce, for Kamikazee Kim Carr not to pour millions of dollars to keep it here.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Bugger, that sucks. With a quite politically unstable country moving to Thailand could be a risky venture. I do realise the FTA we have with them though.

Still, it burns me that Thailand introduced their new 'environmental' tax larger capacity motor vehicles within months of the FTA being signed. Specifically aimed at Australian vehicles but under the guise of being green.

This meant that the Mitsubishi 380 which was to be exported in reasonable volume was cancelled. The Thai government action played a large role in the death of that car. Territory was set to go their too with a target of 5,000pa.

Good luck to the re-trenched workers. Hope things work out for them.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know exactly what autoliv made at their campbellfield factory. From my understanding alot of their products (which tend to contain explosive devices) came from overseas anyhow.
Old 25-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Does anyone know exactly what autoliv made at their campbellfield factory. From my understanding alot of their products (which tend to contain explosive devices) came from overseas anyhow.
I believe they manufacture airbags. I'm not sure if they do anything else though.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Seat belts, buckles and stuff, they have a test centre too;

Autoliv Australia

Autoliv Test Centre

They have a test centre in Thailand too so I wonder if that's where a lot of the T6 crash testing was done...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would think that with all the parts coming in from overseas, its going to be a nightmare for the car companies. Whilst they all try to work to just in time, you would think they have to hold alot of stock on hand, just in case of the long supply times, and any disruptions. Cant be good to hold alot of stock, just in case, when you aint making so many cars.
Old 25-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
partzkid

Quote:
You would think that with all the parts coming in from overseas, its going to be a nightmare for the car companies. Whilst they all try to work to just in time, you would think they have to hold alot of stock on hand, just in case of the long supply times, and any disruptions. Cant be good to hold alot of stock, just in case, when you aint making so many cars.
thats why ford always have something on backorder that you need with no arrival date. so frustrating.

partzkid
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post