Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hissing sound under dash?

Hi Folks, I have a strange problem with my AU2 Fairmont Ghia, as the title suggests there is a faint hissing sound under the dash somewhere. It starts as soon as i start the car, sounds like a leak which i'm sure it must be, it doesn't vary when i turn the fan or air cond on, just stays the same volume and pitch. When i turn the car off it keeps hissing for about 20 secs then fades away. I can't see anything under there that it might be, i have no idea what it is coming from. Any suggestions?
Thankyou and MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody.
Ed

zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Hi there im not sure exactly what it was but we had simlar problem in AU2 Futura and it was a vaccum leak under the dash .I think from the aircon controls???

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Sounds like there is a pressure leak somewhere......it takes a few seconds to go away once you've turned the car off because the engine & cooling system is still pressurised....

I would say its probably not related to the aircon system, as you have said it makes no difference whether the fan or aircon is on or off....

Get all your hoses pressure tested ASAP, your mechanic should be able to find the problem fairly quickly!!! With any luck, its hopefully a loose clamp or something - or maybe you may even have to replace a hose, which isn't so bad.....

Best of luck with it!! Merry Xmas!!!
Old 24-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
tufLTD
tufLTD

Probably your brake booster.
Old 24-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try adjusting the heater/aircon tempreture control in a few different positions, i have a dodgey tempreture control in mine thats hisses in the full cold half cold position, mine is a vacumm leak, i switch the engine off it takes some seconds before all the vacumm is gone and hissing stops.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

an AU falcon (2or3) will do this if you leave air direction controls out of place (like between feet and windscreen) but being a fairmont (climate control) im not sure if it uses the same system... try changing between face and feet etc...

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default More clues

Hi Folks, Thankyou for all your suggestions, i have been poking around behind the dash where i can reach, very tight in there. I found where the hissing noise is coming from, it is the "Air Temperature Sensor Duct" This is a pipe like a small ( about 3/4 inch diameter) vacuum cleaner hose and connected to a small vent just to the left of the clock on the dash, weather this is a thing peculiar to an AU2 Ghia, i'm not sure if a standard fairmont has the digital control? When i removed the heater control panel and disconnected the hose there is quite a powerfull vacuum in the pipe, when i block it with my finger ( engine running ) it sucks to my finger pretty hard, the hose compresses and noise stops but it is obviously nor meant to be blocked off. Wheather there is too much suction there for some reason or what is going on i have no idea. Any idea where to go from here? I can't figure out where the other end of the pipe connects to?
Thankyou again for all your help and have a great New Years Eve!!
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
deanoseb
Starter Motor

Default Re: Hissing sound under dash?

Hi Ed

Same issue in au Fairmont 1 right now. Found the vacuum next to the clock before I got here but haven't got any solutions yet. Have you been able to fix it?

Cheers
Deano
Old 28-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Nice bit of thread mining there Deano, The chances of getting a reply from the OP after 3 1/2 years is pretty remote. If you have found the vacuum leak then it should be pretty straight forward to fix it. If it's a damaged line then usually a small piece of rubber will fix it. Cut the line where it's damaged and join it back together with the rubber hose.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
tichman

Just wondering if there is supposed to be a piece of foam or similar in that pipe that stops the hissing noise, think from memory its supposed to have some sort of filter in it from doing dash swap on a Ea I had. I think I used foam in it which allowed air to flow through it without blocking it and causing the pipe to compress on itself whilst shutting the noise down.
tichman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post