Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Double Trouble

Well, after flying to Melbourne and driving it back here to SA, it's been a bit of a drama one way and another but finally the Sportsman is home and tucked up with the Sportsman....huh??, Yup, there's 2 of them now...

I haven't had a chance to wash them yet and although outwardly they appear identical, and even though they were only built less than a month apart, there is one significant difference that only emerged after my mechanic swapped the gas systems from one car to the other. Apparently the wiring loom was changed slightly and the fuel injector feed and the trans feed wires were changed so car 2 has slightly different wiring/colour combinations to car 1. As a consequence, my mechanic, who took pics and video of everything he did as he removed the gas system from car 1 so he could just transpose it to car 2, managed to wire it back in wrong and put the trans into limp home mode. He spent most of today pulling the offending wiring out and tracing every wire in the loom just to see where it went to so he could make sure he got it right this time. He's not a happy camper right now and vows to never again do a swap job unless he puts all new wiring in himself, and who can blame him.

Apart from that, it's all good and after a trans. service and a few other little jobs to swap stuff from one car to the other I'm very happy with the car. The reasons for the second car are two fold, firstly, my original Sportsman needs a complete suspension rebuild and paint the whole top of the car before I'd be happy with it again so this was the cheaper option considering that as of this moment it's only cost me about $5500 to park it in my driveway and I expect to get $1000 of that back with the LPG rebate. And secondly, well,,,,, the Sportsman is just a lovely car to drive and the pick of the bunch, with the comfiest seats, excellent factory sound, plenty enough power to get the job done, cheap as chips to run on LPG, simple to service and repair, and with the best colour combination - Silver over Meteorite, why would I want to drive anything else.
... and now I have a complete car for spares, and panels I can bolt straight on should I ever need them and not need a paint job, except for the bonnet and boot of coarse. As far as I'm concerned it's a win win.

A huge thanks has to go out to Kristo for firstly going out and checking out the car for me and secondly, haggling the guy for me and doing the deal then taking the car home and holding it for me; and thirdly, for going out of his way to take the afternoon off work to go out to Tullamarine and pick me up from the plane. Mate, you are a legend, and meeting your dad I can see where you got your love of Fairlanes from, it was great just having a coffee and talking cars for a while with someone else who has the passion, cheers.

I'll put up a pic of them clean when I get a chance, till then.....

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Double Trouble

Well done... I believe its call mateship.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Double Trouble

Kristo is indeed a great bloke!

Great stuff.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Looks good bushbasher.
I heard about a fella years ago who had two identical KA Laser Ghias but would use both on the same rego, just one at time. Obviously very illegal and completely irresponsible but an interesting concept all at the same time.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Good pickup Bushy, well done! Stock Fairlane mags

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post