Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Au steering rack

Hi all. I have to replace my steering rack in my XR8. It got a ton of play and starting to stick in places and is getting worse. Can I use one off a 6cyl or are they different. Thanks in advance.
Ps the ball joints and control arm bushes have been replaced so it has to be the rack.

Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Au steering rack

could it just be the rack ends? you can pick up a set with boots and tei rod ends for $50 on eBay. to answer your question, yes a 6 cylinder one is the same

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a set of boots and rack ends in the shed (it is leaking into the boots). It seems more than that but, it has a sticky spot just off centre and when you turn it it like jolts a little. I don't really trust the car in corners and it is a shame as it is a fun car to drive in twisty stuff. Found a v8 one on ebay for 200 exchange so might just get that.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok sounds more like a terminal rack problem I. you look around there are plenty of well priced recos on EBay some don't even need an exchange . I personally would rather spend a few extra $ on a reco than on a used one that is an unknown quantity.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did a bit of a rebuild on my xr6 rack some years ago, if you want to have a squiz at the parts, i did it from top to bottom, it was fairly fiddly and i spent a bit of time innovating tools to do the job, after looking back on it for the effort involved to me a c/o looks to be well worth it.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...g+rack+rebuild
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
BRADFORD000

Yes you can use a 6cyl rack, but need something to fill the hole where the power steering pressure switch goes as v8's dont have the hole.