Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AUIII XR8 will not start

Hey guys, over the weekend I've run into a bit of a problem with the ute where it will not start.

When attempting to get the car to start, I put the key into the ignition and turn it to on, the smartshield light stops, but when turning the key to start the car does not crank at all. Battery is good - I fitted up a brand new one from my XR6 to test as well to rule out it being a battery issue.

After this we checked that the starter motor and solenoid are OK by removing it and getting it to work I've had Dad (electronics engineer) start to investigate circuitry with me and has checked the starter relay is OK, +12V to relay and switching 12V is OK but relay does not click due to lack of earth signal from the Body Computer Line. Which we unfortunately ran out of time to check that the Jumper for manual transmission has not come loose etc. Circuit diagram for Start and Charge system is here: http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/aubx/Part%2024-5.html

Does anyone have any clues of anything we should be looking at or experienced the same problem before? Last time I drove it was the weekend beforehand where there were no problems at all, ute had not been touched between last weekend and this weekend with the exception of popping a single ignition lead off the MSD and putting it back on again.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AUIII XR8 will not start

it sounds like it is immobilised but you say the smartshield light goes out. I'm fairly sure the inhibitor switch it in the positive feed but worth a check. might be a BEM fault, my NF Fairlane had a BEM fault where sometimes it won't crank hit the BEM and it fires up

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It won't be inhibitor switch as it's a manual and that is bypassed (from what I understand anyway from the diagrams).

If a BEM fault, anything I can do to try and diagnose it? Any idea of where it is, how to or how much it is to replace a BEM?

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

Info to come soon!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the fault in my Fairlane is caused by a dry solder joint give a whack and it comes good, a bit rough I know but good for diagnosing the problem. the BEM is located under the dash on the left hand side of the drivers footwell

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

It might be an issue with the Key and BEM code. Have you got a second key to try?
2010 FPV F6 Ute
2016 FGX XR6 Sprint
2020 PX3 Ranger Wildtrak
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only one key unfortunately :(

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE

Info to come soon!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS View Post
It might be an issue with the Key and BEM code. Have you got a second key to try?
if that was the case the Smartshield light would flash

Rides:

Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Gaz
Got Ghia?

try a continuity test on that line from the relay to ECU.

Otherwise it _may_ work, to test an immobilisation issue turn the key like you gonna start it and just give the relay an earth or jump the starter at the starter bridging the sw and b+ lines.