Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo to cease and be reborn as an Outbacky thing

https://www.caradvice.com.au/776370/...eplace-mondeo/
Old 18-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Mondeo to cease and be reborn as an Outbacky thing

What the heck, it can't sell any worse than Mondeo....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Ford has lost the plot. If pickup trucks and SUVs ever go out of fashion, what will they have left to sell ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 01:55 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
If pickup trucks and SUVs ever go out of fashion,
You do realise that Ford is an American company?

They like both kinds of music at Ford, Country and Western.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've given up caring now...I've also come to realize that cars are on the way out and so is petrol power . We , us , are the last generation or so of driving bigger capacity fossil fuel powered sedans/ hatches, utes , station wagons etc .

It's already been said thousands of times but Crossovers and SUV's are it now for the masses. That's what the car companies have told us we must drive now and where R&D predominantly head along with the push to hybrid or electrify a lot more stuff. I guess that all big capacity engined 'trucks' as in the USA will eventually head down that path too.. It's called evolution I think . That's the reality of it all like it or lump it .

Won't be long before some kid asks his dad in a museum . "What's that ". "It's a sedan car son with an old fashioned petrol engine in it . Your grandad had one when he was a young bloke . Haven't seen one for years" ...

Going by my car park at work it's happening a bit now . Out of about 60 of us there would be way more than half on any given day driving bricks on wheels.. I like my cars so it'll be a while before I get gaga over a powered brick .

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-07-2019 at 11:07 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Ford has lost the plot. If pickup trucks and SUVs ever go out of fashion, what will they have left to sell ?
Go back to cars, adapt to the market

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
All they are doing is adapting to market trends. If people trend back to sedans so will they. It’s not like they can’t ever bring them back if they need to.

Heard recently that ford lose between 3.5 and 7k on every fusion they sell in the us, depending on incentives. The market is so driven by incentives with sedans that the only way to sell them is with ridiculous dealer incentives. No wonder ford are leaving that market. There’s nothing but red ink in it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Given the drop in European sales of Mondeo and US of Fusion - arguably self-inflicted due to lack of good updates to the cars since the launch of the current gen in 2012, it was an 'easy' decision for Ford to drop it, much more so than the Focus in particular.

Pulling out of conventional cars is a weak response IMO, an admission that they can't produce a desirable product that sells well. Is the SUV space so much better?

The Focus Active is only about 20mm higher than standard isn't it? Ie back to what used to be a normal amount of ground clearance. No big deal in my book, actually better. SUV's in general are more comparable to pre-WW2 cars before the whole longer/lower/wider thing happened.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

It's easy to go the "people are brainwashed idiots" route when it comes to SUVs but the truth is they're much easier to live with than sedans and even hatches.

The real shame is that we don't have readily available products like Territory.

Maybe I'm getting an older, but I get more excited seeing a schmick (old?) Territory Ghia Turbo on the road than a G6ET.

(PS: RWD sedans did, do, and will always look cool and be fun to drive)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The Americans encouraged everyone into pick ups and SUVs
because they can charge more for them and their EPA CAFE
fuel economy targets are much easier to meet.

The toughness of CAFE on cars is basically killing those small
efficient cars. If fuel prices go up, they won’t just go back to
cars, Buyers will instead insist on more fuel efficient SUVs
and pick ups.

Last edited by jpd80; 19-07-2019 at 05:35 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The CAFE rules have finally been changed to capture SUVs, but in typical bureaucratic fashion have made the problem worse.
Because of all the years of pushing people into whopping V8 SUVs that were previously exempt, the govt has agreed to much softer treatment for "SUVs". For which there is a generous definition.
So why flog somebody a wagon or hatch, when if you call it an SUV, the rules are much easier to comply with. The Yanks have already started moving form the days when SUVs were just trucks with back seats, with many now just being cars by another name. Reality is that the modern SUV is just today's Station Wagon.

Sedans (and similar cars) aren't dead, not by a long shot, but rather than dominating the middle ground, they now occupy the extremes.
Either the super cheap econobox segment (dominated by the Koreans and soon to be Chinese) or the up market executive (and "Grand Tourer") market. But why buy a boring old Mondeo, when for a few quid more you can get an Audi or BMW?
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm confused.
I think the market has changed to SUV's because no manufacturers make a Sedan that people want to drive.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it interesting that the majority of people who switched to more expensive SUVs
and trucks did so because they prefer the higher driving position both in traffic and
in car parks. Entering and existing vehicles with a higher hip point is also easier for
people as they get older or with illness.

All the arguments from a decade ago about needing fuel efficient cars in the future
is now coming under huge fnancial pressure as manufacturers realise the cost of staying
in front of Euro ECE and US EPA fuel targets for smaller vehicles is financially crippling.

Last edited by jpd80; 19-07-2019 at 09:08 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

the irony is, that the sedans used to offset the truck and SUV fuel economy numbers in the US and made it relatively easy to meet the CAFE numbers. The lack of sedans is why we are now seeing a big electrification push on trucks. It's the only way now to meet CAFE
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #15
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A workmate had a Mondeo and collected three cows driving home at night on the highway doing 100. Went off the road and down a 2m drop. She walked away from it and bought a newer Mondeo to replace it.

Hopefully no more cows, but I reckon she'll be disappointed not to be able to stay in a Mondeo in the future!

It's a pity, Mondeos are pretty nice, but then I'm also one of those people looking to move out of a sedan and into something bigger. For me it's for a 4wd, otherwise I think i'd still be more than happy with a sedan or even a hatch.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
It's easy to go the "people are brainwashed idiots" route when it comes to SUVs but the truth is they're much easier to live with than sedans and even hatches.

The real shame is that we don't have readily available products like Territory.

Maybe I'm getting an older, but I get more excited seeing a schmick (old?) Territory Ghia Turbo on the road than a G6ET.

(PS: RWD sedans did, do, and will always look cool and be fun to drive)
Agree, I'm seeing top nick SX-SY2 and really appreciating them... also driving a clean example myself TTG will be the VL Calais Turbo of the SUV age...
Old 21-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I've given up caring now...I've also come to realize that cars are on the way out and so is petrol power . We , us , are the last generation or so of driving bigger capacity fossil fuel powered sedans/ hatches, utes , station wagons etc .

It's already been said thousands of times but Crossovers and SUV's are it now for the masses. That's what the car companies have told us we must drive now and where R&D predominantly head along with the push to hybrid or electrify a lot more stuff. I guess that all big capacity engined 'trucks' as in the USA will eventually head down that path too.. It's called evolution I think . That's the reality of it all like it or lump it .

Won't be long before some kid asks his dad in a museum . "What's that ". "It's a sedan car son with an old fashioned petrol engine in it . Your grandad had one when he was a young bloke . Haven't seen one for years" ...

Going by my car park at work it's happening a bit now . Out of about 60 of us there would be way more than half on any given day driving bricks on wheels.. I like my cars so it'll be a while before I get gaga over a powered brick .

Roddy all hope is not lost... the younger one bought an FG1 XR6 that looks very much like yours, couldn't get him to consider a Suby wagon (excellent snowboarder) - it had to be a sedan.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ns-survey-says

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry/n...e-drawn-sedans

It will be cyclical, they will come back, it's just Gen Z doesn't have the career development as yet to justify the expensive SUVs brand new, or the sedans they apparently prefer. Younger one's other fav was the 2015 A4 sedan...

Edit: all those nice 90's and 2000's sedans now going for a pittance... hmmm
Old 22-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from the seating position its too far to reach the touch screen in a sedan..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People keep buying SUVs.
Company’s keep making their SUVs lower to the ground, bigger rims and more car like.

So now people are basically buying regular cars with lifted suspension and calling them SUVs.

The future is now, old man.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
People keep buying SUVs.
Company’s keep making their SUVs lower to the ground, bigger rims and more car like.

So now people are basically buying regular cars with lifted suspension and calling them SUVs.

The difference is that those crossovers are way more expensive than
the comparable car would be by about $3,000 or $4,000.

So instead of offering something like a compact hatchback with early 1980s ride height
buyers get scalped by motor companies marketing some new genre of crossover
Old 23-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #21
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I'm confused.
I think the market has changed to SUV's because no manufacturers make a Sedan that people want to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I find it interesting that the majority of people who switched to more expensive SUVs and trucks did so because they prefer the higher driving position
You also have to remember where these SUVs are coming from.

Back in the 80s & 90s, I had a couple of small cars, sedans and hatches. Which models I bought was basically determined by what I could fit it.
My daughter has a near new Lancer. Nice little juice box suitable for what she needs. But its too cramped for me. So Mitsi take the same basic car, strap on a taller body, and hey presto an "SUV" you can actually fit in.
Old 23-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #22
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
People keep buying SUVs.

Walked past an Acadia last weekend and was amazed to see the front bumper just (legit just) clears the kerb at the shopping centre!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also Remember that the Mondeo platform is still derived from a shared platform, and must be getting long in the tooth. Back when, that platform (and its derivatives) was shared between Ford, Jaguar, Volvo, and even Land Rover. Plus, going back, it itself was derived from the Mazda platform.
There's only so long you an keep flogging that horse, before you need to develop something new, and predictably the newer platforms are designed around crossovers.

The Mondeo I don't think was ever a massively successful car, and without the American version, there's just not enough demand to warrant the development.

I LIKE the Mondeo, but as far as I can tell, the only buyers are Local Councils, and only the ones that only have a Diesel bowser.

Which is perhaps the other issue. I would only buy a diesel Mondeo, SUPERB economy, and actually a very nice smooth engine and pleasant to drive.
But supposedly Euro makers are getting out of Diesel? (And the yanks think they're Communist.)
Old 26-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Walked past an Acadia last weekend and was amazed to see the front bumper just (legit just) clears the kerb at the shopping centre!

Yeah they are slowly turning them back into cars, but with an increased price. Then they can release "proper 4x4's" and charge even more than the current range of SUVs
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But no one is buying what they have so they have to try something

Let’s face it if it wasn’t for ranger and mustang what other new fords do you see regularly?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Roddy all hope is not lost... the younger one bought an FG1 XR6 that looks very much like yours, couldn't get him to consider a Suby wagon (excellent snowboarder) - it had to be a sedan.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ns-survey-says

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry/n...e-drawn-sedans

It will be cyclical, they will come back, it's just Gen Z doesn't have the career development as yet to justify the expensive SUVs brand new, or the sedans they apparently prefer. Younger one's other fav was the 2015 A4 sedan...

Edit: all those nice 90's and 2000's sedans now going for a pittance... hmmm
That's quite interesting info ...Would be great to have the option for a bit longer yet . On older drivers I guess the higher seating position of the larger SUV's is an advantage to help see and reach things a tiny bit easier and maybe allow them to drive a little longer. About 10 days ago my work mate who owns a 2005 Mitsubishi 380 was coming home from his son's place when a ute coming the other way blew a tyre on his wood laden trailer . Several unsecured blocks came off as Muzz arrived at the corner ..He smashed over them and wrecked the front end and suspension out of his car but thankfully no one injured.

He was telling me yesterday that the insurance company wrote it off as the repair outweighs the value of the car .. He's looking at a near new Mitsubishi ASX today with his missus. They got a Kia Cerato on loan and decided they wanted a small SUV ..He's 64 years old as of a month ago. He told me he likes the idea of a small to mid SUV . Didn't entertain the thought of another sedan. Fair enough I thought ...That's where it's generally heading nowadays so maybe in a week or two there'll be another SUV in our car park .My XR6 or AU will be an even larger minority I expect . Us sedan , hatch , ute and station wagoneers are the rebels maybe as time goes on .

To be fair though the only SUV style vehicles I've driven in the past year are a Mitsubishi Pajero , I think 2015 build and a 2019 Subaru Forester . They are work vehicles . Nice tech and all , only short drives both times but was not convinced I'd be excited to get rid of my Falcon for either of them .. Then again maybe it's a mindset thing with me...Who knows ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 27-07-2019 at 10:48 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
When Ranger goes back to the US in 2028, it will become a steaming pile of indifference,
Ford's US engineering teams are lazy /totally inept at doing good RHD development.
Once Hackett kills Ford Europe engineering, we will be suffering from rebadged VWs, yeesh.

Cherish Ford Asia Pacific engineering, they are the stand outs in an ever cheapening Ford brand.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #28
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it be at all possible to have a Sedan with air suspension that can raise / lower the car for entry / exit.
Have the best of both worlds.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mainstream sedans are dead and are not coming back.

There will be some hold outs in developing markets who still associate sedans with luxury but that in itself will be short lived.

Sedans may have a niche role in upper luxury or high performance, but days of a family car being a sedan are coming to a close
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heck even electric vehicles are switching to crossovers, there's hold outs in the car world
but motor companies are finding that by and large, everyone they put into SUVs or a
Crossover is sold on them and not inclined to go back to cars, they're just too low in
car parks and traffic where most vehicles now are high riding Utes and SUVs.

If you like cars, hold onto them because the price is going to go through the floor boards
as new buyers continue to turn their backs on them and instead head for that higher ride height.