Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
61galwagon
Starter Motor

Default Help needed series 1 not charging

I hope someone on here can shed some light on the situation i have a series 1 fairmont 6 cyl in the last 4 months iv`e put 3 alternators in it first one was second hand wrecker job all i could afford at the time it lasted a month wasn`t happy but they replaced it with another one ,that one has only lasted 3 months again not happy so this time i have put a brand new onein it not a reco ,this is were the problem has just got worse as this one is not charging either it lasted all of one min charging , what other problem could i have.

61galwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help needed series 1 not charging

Is your power steering leaking on the alternator ?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
61galwagon
Starter Motor

There is a small leak and that is getting fixed as well but it's not leaking enough for it to be todays problem
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
4ford

I would be checking all the earth's I could find, as well as a good connection at both the positive and negative battery terminals.

Something is common here, and it doesn't appear to be the alternator(s)!...with the possible exception of the power steering fluid, as mentioned earlier.

How are you detecting that the alternator is not charging...I'm guessing by the fact that the charging light is illuminated!

All that light tells you is that the supply battery voltage is exceeding the alternator output voltage.
I suggest you put a meter across the battery terminals with the engine at around 1,000 RPM, and check the reading, it should be around 14.5v to 14.7v.

During all these alternator changes, is the battery noticeably losing it's charge, is it going flat?

Cheers
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ford
I would be checking all the earth's I could find, as well as a good connection at both the positive and negative battery terminals.

Something is common here, and it doesn't appear to be the alternator(s)!...with the possible exception of the power steering fluid, as mentioned earlier.

How are you detecting that the alternator is not charging...I'm guessing by the fact that the charging light is illuminated!

All that light tells you is that the supply battery voltage is exceeding the alternator output voltage.
I suggest you put a meter across the battery terminals with the engine at around 1,000 RPM, and check the reading, it should be around 14.5v to 14.7v.

During all these alternator changes, is the battery noticeably losing it's charge, is it going flat?

Cheers
What he said. If there is bad earths and the alt cant flow current it will play kill itself.

Power steering fluid kills them too like it did on mine. $220 for a new alternator.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
61galwagon
Starter Motor

Diagnoses of dead alt was made from alt putting out less than 11 volts and then talking to auto elec aswell. All terminals have been checked , went and started car this morning same thing then all of a sudden the revs dropped to about 900 rpm at idle and alt started to work with out me doing anything so i'm still stumped at what it was just happy that it's now charging
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your 2nd handies may have been at the end of their service life,.............my alternator gave up the ghost at 193000, a pretty good innings i reckon, the new one i fitted did`nt charge for a minute, i was thinking oh bugger , i`ve got a dud, but i give it a few revs 1500/2000 rpm, and it came good, i was wondering if the new brushes may need a little wear off the contact surface before they get going, because it has`nt missed a beat since, that`s my theory anyway .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the same problem it was a leaking power steering hose and it stuffed the alternator i suggest you fix your leak before you have more problems
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

i have a similar issue. my power steering has a weep. but alt has been fine. now just coming home the light was on to say it wasn't charging and my volt meter was pretty low but when i ws driving around 60 the light went off and it charged up a bit. suggestions?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Tried a new battery?
Old 22-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

Replaced it last Christmas. So figure it's not that.
When its about 3,000 rpm it goes out. Is that odd?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 22-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Regulator maybe?....
Old 22-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

What's that mean ?

Old 22-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Regulates the voltage/charge coming from the alt...
Old 22-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

Where do I find it how do I check it.

Old 22-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

You know those two wires going to the grey socket on the side of the alternator, just next to the main power wire?

that's where it is... stuffed if i know how to get to it though.. easier to replace it
Old 22-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Day-mow
rexnet

So replace the regulator or the alternator ?

Old 22-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Alt....

I'd just get one to test with off a mate (See if Shav or someone has a spare they can lend you), and if that works, get a new one...