Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Exclamation Which cars will Australia Police force use once no more Australian made cars?

Ford and Holden have been used for decades. Now they are about to disappear, what will the Australian tax payers dollars be spent on?

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which cars will Australia Police force use once no more Australian made cars?

Ford Taurus and Chevy Impala (with a Holden badge on it)
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which cars will Australia Police force use once no more Australian made cars?

Mustang for HWP, Mondeo for other stuff
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Well, they already use Hyundai's, Subaru's, lancers etc etc...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

camrys?

Magna is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Thundercourgarfalconbird?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subie WRX for HWP, Camry's and Ranger's for standard police work.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Speed camera with eftpos...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HWP have been testing V60 Volvos, general duties are more and more often Camrys, VW vans and Lancers.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

hyundai santa-fe seems to be the flavor of the day here in QLD for general duty patrol cars . with a few camrys. falcon xr6 and ss commos mostly only seen now as highway patrols. .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
BroadyFord

What about taxis?

Camrys like in NYC IMO.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
TheAussieStig30

Local coppers already have a Camry and previously had a Lancer. Paddy wagon is a Chundai i load and they also use a Hilux, only HWP in my area are Ford or GMH and Snotbox outnumber the Falcon by 10-1.

I've been annoyed with the waste of money in the police force for some time now. They should be utilizing hybrids where ever possible. Why can't they use a PriusV aa the standard police vehicle, and use the iLoad when they know they will have a customer, or after someone is arrested. There should be someone stationed at the station to do police work and be on call to collect arrested poeople, as 90% through the day, people aren't physically taken into custody, they're either fined, or given a court appearance notice. No need for a paddy wagon to be running around on jobs like breech of peace, or stupid civil things. Use a hybrid, fit it out with ANPR, when a certain area shows over X percent of unreg cars detected, bring the HWP in and leave them on operation for a week.

Oh, and I have a good idea what should happen with unlicence drivers cars, and unregistered cars being driven, too.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundais and mazdas
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW police have been testing the 300c
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Dunno what they will do in Wait Awhile, they almost exclusively use Falcons and Commodores. Perhaps they will stockpile them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAussieStig30 View Post
Local coppers already have a Camry and previously had a Lancer. Paddy wagon is a Chundai i load and they also use a Hilux, only HWP in my area are Ford or GMH and Snotbox outnumber the Falcon by 10-1.

I've been annoyed with the waste of money in the police force for some time now. They should be utilizing hybrids where ever possible. Why can't they use a PriusV aa the standard police vehicle, and use the iLoad when they know they will have a customer, or after someone is arrested. There should be someone stationed at the station to do police work and be on call to collect arrested poeople, as 90% through the day, people aren't physically taken into custody, they're either fined, or given a court appearance notice. No need for a paddy wagon to be running around on jobs like breech of peace, or stupid civil things. Use a hybrid, fit it out with ANPR, when a certain area shows over X percent of unreg cars detected, bring the HWP in and leave them on operation for a week.

Oh, and I have a good idea what should happen with unlicence drivers cars, and unregistered cars being driven, too.
so your 'cost saving' proposal involves buying an extra car plus having an extra cop 'on call'? How would that save money?
plus the car crew would be tied up waiting for this 'on call' cop to arrive in the extra vehicle whenever an arrest is made
Police use a wide range of cars/vehicles currently, but HWP almost exclusively Commodore/Falcon, will be interesting to see what happens
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I have heard about them using Lancer Rally sports. Well priced and quick enough.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
BlueOvalPrint

British police use turbo Volvo wagons, BMW 5 series sedans, Skodas... there are lots of options out there!
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Insidious

Give them The Great Wall....of crap

07 TX RWD Territory
Insidious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Maybe Toyota could create a new sedan based on the 86's platform with a turbo six engine.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
GT014

Victoria police have a few Chrysler 300's and the lucky HWP in North Melbourne have a SRT-8
Old 12-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Pushbikes. Seen one in use in Sydney. Footpath or bike lane patrol perhaps?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Vic Police in the city are using VW Vans already.

I've built a few of those pieces of crap for them.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAussieStig30 View Post

You don't have much of a clue about what police work actually entails do you?
ozpacman is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Further to above, Qld police hardly buy a Ford or Holden these days anyway. At Cairns station there's a mix of Camry hybrid, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai I load van, Aurion and the odd Commodore.

I can't remember the last time a Falcon came on the fleet. Nothing wrong with them but the problem with Fords and Holdens is that they are worth nothing at auction when they come off the road. It's exactly why GM and Ford are packing up their bat and ball and going home - no one wants the Falcon/Commodore product anymore. Once upon a time the auctioned cars fetched good money as either cabs or family cars. Now you can't give them away.

20 years ago the cop cars were either a Holden or a Ford. The use of different makes and models such as those above has proven that the there's no reason why that ever needed to be so.

Russ.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
Kometes

TRD (supercharged) Aurion?

ARB Deluxe Bar, Safari Snorkel, Ironman 9500lb winch, Icom 440 UHF + 6dB Aerial
Kometes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
You don't have much of a clue about what police work actually entails do you?
Sorry AussieStig30 - just re-read my post and realise that I came across as a bit of a smartazzz. My apologies.

What you suggested is good in theory but in practice it wouldn't go too well. Policing by it's very nature is very unpredictable as you have no idea just what job you're going to next or how it'll unfold when you get there. On many occasions police need to arrest people on the spur of the moment due to violent/alcohol/drug related behaviour. The officer just don't have the luxury of waiting quietly with his prisoner whilst someone comes from the station with a suitable vehicle to transport he and his new friend.

The ILoad vans that seem to be fast becoming the new standard in detainee/officer transport are proving to be a great vehicle. Diesel, auto, plenty of room and easy to drive - they're pretty popular.

Cheers,

Russ.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
stevz
Banned

The future of police cars in Australia

stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I can just see the HWP in SRT-8s', and whatever high powered Chev. GMH brings in, although if Ford still want to be in the mix they'll have to bring in a high powered 4 door sedan cos it's a bit hard to shoe horn a perp. into the back of a Mustang.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post