Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
oxmo
Starter Motor

Default Highway Patrol (NSW)

Has anyone else noticed how all HP cars have had their markings removed from the front of the vehicles? Primarily the bonnet.

You are still able to spot them behind you, (mostly because of the lights on the roof and the huge antenna coming from the boot).

Any ideas why this has been done?

Also, have you noticed how they do not hide in the bushes anymore, or at the bottom of hills where they know it will be an easy catch for them? (this is not a complaint, just my personal observation and I am wondering if it is consistent with the opinion of others)

oxmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Highway Patrol (NSW)

My take on the lack of signage on the front is they are sick of replacing decals when they have front enders.... only joking

I remember 6-10 months ago there was an article in the paper about the cost of fuel eating into operational budgets. The edict to the HWP officers was to patrol for half a shift and park up for the other half of the shift in a visible location for high visibility policing and save fuel. Not sure how accurate that is but I do see them all the time on all the motorways in Sydney parked up. Another benefit of being parked up is they probably run the number plate recognition system to catch out un-regoed or disqualified drivers for easier money and effort.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It makes the highway cars hard to spot for the truck drivers (and other motorist) traveling in the opposite direction
and you are right they are checking rego's on every car that passes
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it's to make them impossible to spot from the front. The rest of the car is still ridiculous OTT boys toys stuff. Such a difference from Europe where they're just plain police cars and they're not worried about you on the motorway unless you're 20+ over the 130 limit (and not even then usually unless you're being dangerous). its just revenue collection and intimidation here, nothing to do with road safety. Hate driving in Australia nowadays.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I saw a dark blue Highway Patrol Falcon here in Melbourne the other day and it also had no lightbar on the roof. The livery was only on the side of the car.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
I saw a dark blue Highway Patrol Falcon here in Melbourne the other day and it also had no lightbar on the roof. The livery was only on the side of the car.
It'a all about road safety, no need to worry
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This one will still be easy to spot even with minimal marking up front:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...2#.VIkzZnuVHTQ

Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given what a Raptor would cost in Australia after conversion and all other costs (I've seen brand new F150's going for over $140,000), wouldn't you have to question how much taxpayers dollars have been wasted on these things??

Christ, paint up some of those Ford Ranger "Raptor" edition ones that seem to be getting around here and there and save some dough...not that that's a priority...

Not to mention the way those things "handle" (and I use the term advisedly) on bitumen in road tests I've seen in the past. Long travel soft suspension for off road launches and bumps and lumps and jumps...but once on the road they look to roll worse than the Queen Mary...how long before it ends up on its roof...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
oxmo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon View Post
This one will still be easy to spot even with minimal marking up front:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...2#.VIkzZnuVHTQ

+1

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
oxmo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
My take on the lack of signage on the front is they are sick of replacing decals when they have front enders.... only joking

I remember 6-10 months ago there was an article in the paper about the cost of fuel eating into operational budgets. The edict to the HWP officers was to patrol for half a shift and park up for the other half of the shift in a visible location for high visibility policing and save fuel. Not sure how accurate that is but I do see them all the time on all the motorways in Sydney parked up. Another benefit of being parked up is they probably run the number plate recognition system to catch out un-regoed or disqualified drivers for easier money and effort.
I think I found the article you are referring to;

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...fff3ec743fedd1
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
BLDNUT01

one thing I have noticed is when I have been stopped at the lights and a police car pulls up behind me it gets so close that all I can see is the bonnet and windscreen out of my mirrors, maybe thinking I,m going to be stupid when the light goes green any body else noticed this?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
ms700
Big Member

Just you....

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Yes it's to make them impossible to spot from the front. The rest of the car is still ridiculous OTT boys toys stuff. Such a difference from Europe where they're just plain police cars and they're not worried about you on the motorway unless you're 20+ over the 130 limit (and not even then usually unless you're being dangerous). its just revenue collection and intimidation here, nothing to do with road safety. Hate driving in Australia nowadays.
Then pi$$ off to Europe and drive. Or get over it. Your choice.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxmo View Post

Also, have you noticed how they do not hide in the bushes anymore, or at the bottom of hills where they know it will be an easy catch for them? (this is not a complaint, just my personal observation and I am wondering if it is consistent with the opinion of others)
I live where the HWP numbers are over the top, Goulburn, and travel to Canberra daily. I've scoped out all the hiding spots from the easy to spot, to those where you don't see them until you are past. The gravel piles are my favourite, they park after the gravel and you won't see them until you are past, however the gravel isn't high enough to hide their aerials. Not many gravel piles sprout aerials so it's a dead giveaway. On the south side of lake George are 2 lovely spots where they back in and hide in the bushes. RTA have even thrown some gravel down to help them not get bogged. Pity the same rta thinned the bushes right out a year or so ago. Totally opened their spots up to the extent someone grabbed cuttings to try and hide them. The bushes are thicker now and once again they are hidden.
So no I don't agree with you, my observation is they sill hide in bushes at the bottom of hills.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Looks like someone got out on the wrong side of bed today.
Annoyed I had to get up at all but that's another story!

It just annoys me to no end the naysayers who whinge and bleat about cops and how its all revenue raising and how they don't need the stuff they have etc etc - yet are the first to complain about when they aren't around or when they need them. Cars like the Raptor more often than not aren't bought by them, they are either leased or given to them for publicity purposes by the manufacturer. That's why they have the Porsche, the Lexus and god knows what else. Who cares - makes you look, shows they're not all just idiots who DGAF about cars, makes 'em stand out. Can't see the problem myself.

Oh and FYI NO I'm not a cop.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Harder to spot them = more revenue. Surprised that the other states havnt followed suit. I don't think it will be long before they do.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The Raptor is a promotional vehicle.
On loan to them, and kitted out by Ford. Like the Porsche and the various other promotional vehicles they've had over the years.
It was on display at the V8's last week. As was the DJR enhanced GTF.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
The Raptor is a promotional vehicle.
On loan to them, and kitted out by Ford. Like the Porsche and the various other promotional vehicles they've had over the years.
It was on display at the V8's last week. As was the DJR enhanced GTF.
Now just a thought... V8 supercars are going so we could have
V8 Raptors and HP from each state could race each other... State against State.. mate against mate.. just a thought..
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

I also see HWP cars on the M2 a lot.
Don't know how true it is, but I mate of mine heard that the cops in these cars (that are visible enough to passing motorists) are mainly the cops that treat the job as a paycheck only, rather then those that actually enjoy being a cop.
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Haven't that one
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post

There's probably plenty of police taking holidays just like everyone else at the moment, Victoria would be no different i think, around my neck of the woods there seems to be periods where you hardly see police, and then a bunch of them will go hard for a day or two making their presence known pulling up every second car, but it might also be for budget reasons.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #22
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know several HWP cops (a couple with 10-20 years in the job) and they hardly ever get holidays at Christmas or on long weekends - they roster as many as possible on for the double points periods.

I've also been told that there's a government direction with the NPR camera cars that they have to spend a certain period of their shift stationary, checking plates, until certain revenue targets are met (probably to pay off the cost of the camera system).

I personally have no issue with NPR cars - I think it's a good thing, as I have been the victim of an unreg'd/uninsured driver at fault in a prang, and getting the blatant abusers off the road is fantastic. I don't agree with the zero tolerance shown to some people though, who deserved a break - like the pensioner in the recent thread who paid his greenslip & pink slip, but didn't get the RMS renewal done (pensioners don't pay the RMS component of rego on the first car in their name).

Removing the rego labels is a bigger issue - one rep I know was leaving Dubbo on a Friday arvo, and got pulled over. Unreg'd car - here's your fines, lock it up & see ya' later, long walk back to Newcastle. Fleet company forgot to renew his rego. He was driving a fully maintained company car - they were supposed to do everything - he didn't even have a copy of the rego papers.
(And if you're wondering, he ended up getting on a train to Sydney, and a cab ride to Newy, then told the fleet co in no uncertain terms that they could pick the ^% thing up on a tilt tray and deliver it to his house!)

At least when we had labels you knew it had been done (I had to chase my work's fleet company nearly every year to get mine on time) He took it to court, and the magistrate ruled it was his responsibility to check the rego. He had to cop the fines.

Surely that cop could have listened to his story - checked the facts on the computer - that it was a fleet car, and simply made him lock it up & leave it there until the rego was paid.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #23
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Then pi$$ off to Europe and drive. Or get over it. Your choice.
I'm a bit more committed to my country than that. I believe in working to change bad things in my own country. If you want to lie back and let all the nannies, accountants and assorted protofascists in government walk all over you that's your choice.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Oh and FYI NO I'm not a cop.
But you're both in the industry of controlling pests
Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #25
ms700
Big Member

My rego is always due in March - the best time for me and my family's birthdays/other expenditures. So I know when my regos are due. They can also be checked online ie when they expire. No excuse for no rego....

The HWP hangiing out in Goulburn has been happening for Yonkers. My cruise is always adjusted to accomodate this. I've never been wheeled by HWP in my 20 something years of driving.

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms700 View Post

The HWP hangiing out in Goulburn has been happening for Yonkers. My cruise is always adjusted to accomodate this. I've never been wheeled by HWP in my 20 something years of driving.
Yet people still don't learn. The number of high speed intercepts around the Goulburn area is amazing.160 is not uncommon to hear. A few weeks back there was a 201on the Hume.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #27
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^Who cares if people do these speeds.

If its safe, as it is 99.9% of the time its fine.

What the cops dont tell you, and is a fact, is that MOST single car accidents resulting in fatalities are in fact SUICIDES! Over 50%! The rest inattention, falling asleep, and being drunk/drugs.
Suicides are the only ones where real speed has something do do with a death, thats right they deliberately speed and hit the trees, apart from the VERY RARE drag race that goes wrong. (maybe 1 in 1000 deaths??)

I do drive in Europe a lot. So have no respect for rural/hwy speed zones so when I can get away with it here, i do.

Dont believe me about suicides making up a huge amount of the road toll? Ask the Vic coroner. He states that these deaths go down in the road statistics as they cant prove suicide, but in each case they look into the lives of the people involved and its obvious in so many instances. Very sad.

Anyway, yeah, the cops on Hwys are all about revenue....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #28
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I do drive in Europe a lot. So have no respect for rural/hwy speed zones so when I can get away with it here, i do.
You're not seriously saying euro driving conditions are the same as Aus. Plagues of roos, emus, potholes big enough to rip your front end out. Do you live in the country? Most people where I live drive at 80 even though the limit is 100 because of the obvious dangers.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #29
oxmo
Starter Motor

To everyone saying cops are revenue raisers I would have to disagree.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have gone past HWP vehicles at 10+ km per hour and they never came after me.

The long and thick of it is, if you don't want a ticket, don't break the law... it's not rocket science...

As a side note, I met a German tourist lately who was telling me that when he was caught speeding at 15km over the limit (in Germany) the fine was about $30-$40. The same fine here would be $254.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safe...-offences.html
Old 12-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #30
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In france the fine for 20kmh over is 45 Euro! In SA it is ..... $800!!

I drive mainly all over Vic. And never get my front end ripped out from potholes. Roads are actually pretty good. People are whingers in australia. And when they arent, drive to the conditions! How hard is it? Keep your eyes open, if you drive into a big pothole, you shouldnt have a licence.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post