Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
JoshXR

Default The long haul

Hey guys,

Planning on driving up to Byron Bay from Melbourne in the new XR,

Dont know if to do it over 2 days or pull through with 2 drivers

Its aprox 1700ks

Any one done the simular trip ?

Any advice ?

Cheers

JoshXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Hrrm do you want to enjoy the trip up?

If so option a with a stop over.

If you just want to get there 2 drivers should be able to do a 1700km trip pretty comfortably.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Ibrox90
Banned

I've done a similar distance trip in one hit with 3 drivers, from adelaide to melbourne and back. Wasn't good good id suggest a stop over.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

you'll be suppriesed how quick it is from melb to crossroads. (8 HRS)
then to raymond terrace where you can spent the night in the caravan park (3.5 HRS)
then finnish of to byron, with a very quick run (7.5 HRS)

crossroads to berowra is the slowest part.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshXR
Hey guys,

Planning on driving up to Byron Bay from Melbourne in the new XR,

Dont know if to do it over 2 days or pull through with 2 drivers

Its aprox 1700ks

Any one done the simular trip ?

Any advice ?

Cheers
Driven it heaps of time on the old Pacific in trucks, if your not in a hurry why not stop in Sydney the night ?

Remember it's better to arrive late, than dead on time.

I would only recommend a 1700 kay leg if you are a seasoned long distance driver, or your second driver actually sleeps whilst you are driving.
Old 22-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
I've done a similar distance trip in one hit with 3 drivers, from adelaide to melbourne and back. Wasn't good good id suggest a stop over.
I drove my BA ute back from Brisbane to Melbourne in March by myself, 1700 kays in 18 hours, 20 years behind the wheel of trucks conditions you.
Old 22-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Driven it heaps of time on the old Pacific in trucks, if your not in a hurry why not stop in Sydney the night ?

Remember it's better to arrive late, than dead on time.

I would only recommend a 1700 kay leg if you are a seasoned long distance driver, or your second driver actually sleeps whilst you are driving.
+1, better to have a overnight stop somewhere, especially if you're inexperienced in long hauls.

I've done Perth-Carnarvon quite a few times (1000klm) and takes about 10 hours and that is the absolute limit for me. Even with 2 drivers it becomes a bit of a chore as the hours drag on.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I drove my BA ute back from Brisbane to Melbourne in March by myself, 1700 kays in 18 hours, 20 years behind the wheel of trucks conditions you.
i bought a ba wagon in qld. flew up, (folks live up there) and drove it back. bris - adelaide. just over 2000km. 21hrs. had a 3hr nap behind the servo at balranald. not a truckie myself but dad and brother are. something about the open road that appeals to me though. i get tired driving home from work (20min) but out on the road i could do it all day.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
The old man & i did Noresman (WA) to Traralgon (VIC) No stops besides Food or Fuel.

I wouldn't recommend it.. :togo:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Did this trip with two of my best mates

Melb - Byron Bay

19:30 hrs straight - driving shared by only two of us

Was a great road trip - thoroughly enjoyed it. Would have cursed it if I didnt have cruise control though!

My third mate is not the best driver in the world and I was reluctant to let him drive my car
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

I did Traralgon to bris in one hit after buying my TS50 last year, 21 hours straight up the *newel* unsure of spelling, stoped for food/fuel that was it.

depending on your driving ability it can be done, but just judge it on the way, if it is getting tiresome then there are plenty of cheep $50 a night motels on the side of the hwy..

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Did this trip with two of my best mates

Melb - Byron Bay

19:30 hrs straight - driving shared by only two of us

Was a great road trip - thoroughly enjoyed it. Would have cursed it if I didnt have cruise control though!

My third mate is not the best driver in the world and I was reluctant to let him drive my car
haha sounds like my trip from mildura to gladstone when i moved up here, my mate cant drive for crap so me and the missus drove the 2 thousand kays in 22 hours, never again will we do it in one day.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Non stop is an aquired skill, I do Gulgong - Pt Lincoln couple of times a year 1700km approx each way and if you're conditioned to it then a couple of nap stops for an hour or two along the way will see you do it no worries as long as you get a good sleep before you start out and time it right to avoid the worst of the traffic. I like to travel at night when it's quieter. My best effort for my trip was 16.5hrs non stop but that's all open road so only having to slow down for towns and fuel. It'll be more tiring and longer if you travel through populated areas during the day. If you pick a route that bypasses the big populations life will be easier too. Everything is a trade off though. Country roads at night will give you a faster and quieter run and allow you to pick up the pace a bit but you got to have good lights and be aware of the wild life. Day time and/or major populations will see less wildlife but will be slower and more tiresome IMO.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DONT DIE FOR A DEADLINE,,BETTER STILL DONT KILL SOME ELSE FOR YOUR DEADLINE,,,have a stop over and enjoy the drive and dont forget to wave at me when you drive through ballina
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
BomberXR

I drove from Lennox Head (next town south of Byron Bay) 12 months ago (last October) with the girlfriend and her new BFII XR (originally bought in Brissy). I would suggest stopping half way (we stopped overnight at Gosford) and your trip is done in 2 days, no rushing or driving overnight.

The Pacific Highway had a huge amount of roadworks being done when we drove down, like dual carrigeways being built in northern NSW, that gave me some anxious moments driving past semi trailers (look out stone chips!!). We also stopped in places like Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie briefly (30 minutes to 60 minutes) and had a look around. Really enjoyed the drive (use the harbour tunnel in Sydney) and loved the 'implimentation' of fixed speed cameras (big signs warning you) in NSW.
BomberXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

If you're a long hauler, go for it. If you're not used to long trips I'd recommend a stop over.

Have done Sydney to Bundaberg in 14 hours flat, overnight trip with 2x fuel stops on my own....

Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not too proud to admit it but, I would be toying with that trip being a three day trip (two nights). The best I can do in a day is around 800 km; which is around 9 hours on the road, plus stops on top of that. While I don’t mind sharing the driving, after 10 hours or so (either behind the wheel or in the passenger seat), I am ready for a nap.

-----------------------

Some additional reading

http://labnic.unige.ch/nic/papers/PP_PS_Sleep2003.pdf

http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/281206.pdf
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Brisbane - Albury left at 5.30am arrived at 11.30pm coast road. Drove the whole way just food and fuel
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Did Brisbane to Melbourne in one day in February. 90% driving myself. It was pretty easy, plus i was driving a crappy car (new mazda 3).

Would i do it again in one day? yes, but in a better car with decent overtaking power / fuel tank.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #20
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
+1, better to have a overnight stop somewhere, especially if you're inexperienced in long hauls.

I've done Perth-Carnarvon quite a few times (1000klm) and takes about 10 hours and that is the absolute limit for me. Even with 2 drivers it becomes a bit of a chore as the hours drag on.
technically from perth carnarvon is 900km, if it takes ya 10 hours you need to ease on that pedal on the right i'd say
Old 26-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
I am not too proud to admit it but, I would be toying with that trip being a three day trip (two nights). The best I can do in a day is around 800 km; which is around 9 hours on the road, plus stops on top of that. While I don’t mind sharing the driving, after 10 hours or so (either behind the wheel or in the passenger seat), I am ready for a nap.

-----------------------

Some additional reading

http://labnic.unige.ch/nic/papers/PP_PS_Sleep2003.pdf

http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/281206.pdf

+1

I can spend upwards of 8 hours a day negotiating Sydney traffic but on a long haul, I'd prefer to break up my trip into smaller sections with a sleepover. Break up the monotony so I can be a lot more focused behind the wheel.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
technically from perth carnarvon is 900km, if it takes ya 10 hours you need to ease on that pedal on the right i'd say
Really? he's only averaging 90kmh, And thats not hard in any vehicle.