Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
2002au
Define definitive

Default which headlight globe?

hey everyone, getting new headlight globes tomorrow and wondering which ones i need

these:http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...97#Description

or these?:http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...92#Description

BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Jimmyd
Banned

Default Re: which headlight globe?

H4 main beams (low & high - outer lamps), H1 high beam (inner lamps)
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

You need both of those. However be aware that the brand Calibre is Supercheap's "home brand" and may not be as good in quality as say Philips. I have a full set of Philips Crystal Vision globes to suit your application (left over from a group buy). PM me for a very good price if you are interested.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
2002au
Define definitive

thanks mate, ill have to get both then lol
Old 29-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
T3man
Banned

Oops, sorry I just checked the ones I have left and they are one pair H4s (high/low - outers) and one pair of H3s (high beam/driving - inners).
Old 29-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
2002au
Define definitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Oops, sorry I just checked the ones I have left and they are one pair H4s (high/low - outers) and one pair of H3s (high beam/driving - inners).
thats ok mate, thanks anyway
Old 29-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I wouldn't touch Calibre with someone elses barge pole. The quality control is iffy to say the least and the light output for the wattage is ordinary. If you're going to spend the coin then get a name brand at least. Phillips are top of the tree and excellent lights but you pay a premium for them. For what you want, Narva is reasonable value, put out good light and at least the quality is consistent and they'll put the filament in the right place. If you're going to spend up on Phillips may I suggest, for your H1s', go online and pick up a plug and play HID kit from Ebay. You can pick them up for under $100 and they'll out perform any halogen globe by 3-400%.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Day-mow
rexnet

im pretty sure a friend put these in his WRX and theyre really white and give out super good light.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-pr-H4-G...ht_1986wt_1396

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
im pretty sure a friend put these in his WRX and theyre really white and give out super good light.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-pr-H4-G...ht_1986wt_1396
They might be bright but the heat they generate will ultimately warp and melt your reflectors in the lights. You don't need mega bright low beams, you'll just dazzle people and pi$$ them off. I'd stick to 55w +50s' for the H4 and go the HID for your driving lights.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 30-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
2002au
Define definitive

so ill get some lights tomorrow. just noticed in autobarns cataloge they have phillips blue vision for $49.99. thinking these will do
Old 30-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

i've herd Phillips Crystal vision is also a winner.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
They might be bright but the heat they generate will ultimately warp and melt your reflectors in the lights. You don't need mega bright low beams, you'll just dazzle people and pi$$ them off. I'd stick to 55w +50s' for the H4 and go the HID for your driving lights.

Bushbasher
And after about 10 hours of use the Narva globes go duller than your standard Ford (Philips) 55/60s.
Old 30-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Have used both the Blue and Crystalvision and currently have Crystalvision in the ute. Happy with them but the performance of the bulbs isnt as good as it was in the FG (They were awesome), I put that down to the different headlight types.
Old 31-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
And after about 10 hours of use the Narva globes go duller than your standard Ford (Philips) 55/60s.
Really? I've put a set in the missus' wagon and they've been in nearly 12 months and I haven't noticed any significant dulling, and I'm pretty @nal when it comes to lights. I might need to find a fresh globe to pop in and see the difference. I run Phillips Crystal Vision in the Fairlane low beam and HID in the high so I'm used to plenty of light, so when I jump in the wagon at night if it was significantly duller than I expect I usually notice. But I'll check it out anyway because it may be that it's happened slowly and I haven't noticed the gradual dulling.

Cheers
Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 31-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
T3man
Banned

Yep, that's exactly what happens - it isn't until you fit a brand new one that you notice how dull they have become. I only noticed it because I had to replace a blown globe which had only been fitted about a month or so earlier (did two new globes at the time) and when I did I noticed the other "new" globe was heaps duller. I then did some back to back tests with both H1s and H3s in various driving lights and found it was common across all the Narva range. In fact in the driving lights (which when used are generally on for extended periods) the dulling was even more rapid than in the H4s.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Well there ya go eh, I'll take your word for it. Good thing I converted the wagons' Narva 175 driving lights to HID then, lol.

Cheers
Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 15-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
an10as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I wouldn't touch Calibre with someone elses barge pole. The quality control is iffy to say the least and the light output for the wattage is ordinary. If you're going to spend the coin then get a name brand at least. Phillips are top of the tree and excellent lights but you pay a premium for them. For what you want, Narva is reasonable value, put out good light and at least the quality is consistent and they'll put the filament in the right place. If you're going to spend up on Phillips may I suggest, for your H1s', go online and pick up a plug and play HID kit from Ebay. You can pick them up for under $100 and they'll out perform any halogen globe by 3-400%.

Bushbasher
GE still make all the globes for most major brands eg: Phillips, Narva etc.
I use Philips Premium H4's std 65/55W in all my vehicles, I found long ago it's not so much the globe it's how good the lamp itself is and aimed properly.
I just replaced the lights in my AU with new ones (but used same globes back in them) and the light output is amazing without causing glare to oncoming. Have nice sharp cut off points again like new etc etc

It's illegal to have HID conversion kits in main headlights (separate factory high beams or spotlights are ok)
The reason is because non HID lamps are designed for halogen globes and the reflectors in them cannot direct the light from an HID globe in the right directions. I've seen plenty of bad examples blinding me, they get the full force of my big HID spottys
an10as is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post