Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default High Pitched Whine

Hi all,

Lately I have been getting a high pitched whine in my car and it appears to be constant no matter what. I only first noticed it a couple of weeks ago as I normally have the stereo up. Now though it is worse and I can hear it over the stereo. At first I thought it was static through the radio but I turned it off and it was still there.

I have traced it to what I think is the fuel pump up the back as when I stick me head under the back end it is a lot louder.

My question is if it is the fuel pump. How long shall it last before it dies?
Is it most likely the fuel pump?
If it is dying what sort of fuel pump can I put in keeping in mind I am putting a V8 in it and down the track will be chasing a lot more power?

Cheers,
Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 
Default Re: High Pitched Whine

Hard to say, it could last a year or a week. Best bet would be to pull the pump and clean the filter sock. Also try running it backwards (feed 12v to the negative connection and earth the positive), see if that cleans it up a bit.
When you fit the v8 you'll be needing to change the pump anyway as from memory they run a higher flowing pump.....
Old 13-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Walbro GSS-342 would work quite well as an aftermarket replacement, and would handle the demands of a healthy V8 such as a stroker quite well.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies. I am now certain it is the fuel pump and as I am going to have to pull the fuel tank out in order to change it and based on my future plans I think it will be best if I just get something like the walbro.

Ride - is the walbro you mention literally a direct replacement and do you know if it will work straight away without changing anything else?

Also, a bit of a long shot but is it a big job to get the fuel tank out of a wagon?

Toy Car Build
Old 14-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
Thanks for the replies. I am now certain it is the fuel pump and as I am going to have to pull the fuel tank out in order to change it and based on my future plans I think it will be best if I just get something like the walbro.

Ride - is the walbro you mention literally a direct replacement and do you know if it will work straight away without changing anything else?

Also, a bit of a long shot but is it a big job to get the fuel tank out of a wagon?
I have the GSS-341 in mine and no it's not a direct replacement as such, you will be hard pressed finding an aftermarket one that is. However, after making up a small piece of hose from the cradle to the pump and soldering the included wiring harness to the cradle the pump works fine. GSS-342 is similar, I thought that there were differences in the outlet connector but apparently there isn't.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

There is a difference in the output/input with the 341 and 342, basically its just the location of the outlet in respect to the inlet, both are offset to one side on them, 1 pump has them offset to the same side, on the other pump the outlet is ofset to opposite sides.

Both of which i believe fit the AU just fine.

And i too recommend just replacing the pump with a walbro, the factory pumps weren't very good and fail very often, i have had brand new factory pumps that couldn't keep up with near standard engines properly.
Old 15-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Also, you don't need to drop the tank to pull the pump, it's mounted on the left-hand side, near the back. The tank will need to be empty though, as it's near the bottom of the tank and will dump the contents all over the floor!
Old 15-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info guys. I hope I can work out how to fit it. I am sure I'll be able to work it out. As for getting the tank/pump out of the wagon had a look and can't see it being too hard at all.

With the 2 different walbro pumps the 341 and 342. Which would be the recommended to use. Seeing as the outlet/inlet locations are different.

Toy Car Build