Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
shayne93
66 Mustang

Default Where to source headlights and indicators to convert from standard front to XR

As per title, what/how is the most cost effective way to obtain headlights and indicators to convert ordinary AU to an XR front?

shayne93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Default Re: Where to source headlights and indicators to convert from standard front to XR

ebay - always some on there - or try your local recyclers.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Where to source headlights and indicators to convert from standard front to XR

I used these:-
http://tinyurl.com/79ync3d
http://tinyurl.com/6r3t6xt

You'll need an old set in order to convert to aftermarket but as the old ones can be damaged, (broken lens etc) a wrecker would be a good start.

Other than that, I guess forums, ebay or pay Ford around a grand for the four of them.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

Remember you need the complete XR bar and headlights with jump cables and also the bonnet.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
shayne93
66 Mustang

Mine is a ute so the bonnet is the same, I would get an AWC XR50 front bar
Old 15-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
shayne93
66 Mustang

So the outer light is 7 inch, and inner is 5&3/4. I mean even if i bought one side, I recon I could replicate it using steel or something to do the job. I will check the wreckers out first
Old 15-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne93
I recon I could replicate it using steel or something to do the job.
Good luck with that. The biggest hurdle to overcome is the adjusters.

I can't think of an easy way to adjust the lights in a "home made" setup. I'm sure it can be done but it will be much easier to source originals and adapt them.

I took a lot of pics when I converted mine. Let me know when you're ready to undertake the challenge and I'll email you a few.
Old 15-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
shayne93
66 Mustang

Gee, maybe I'm just better off sticking to what I've got, replace the faded headlights and get a new bumper to replace my dodgie one.

AU XR parts seem like rocking horse ****, BA XR parts are like ******* commodores, they're everywhere
Old 15-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive got a full set of AU XR headlights, including brackets and looms, and a bonnet in the shed. And no I won't sell them.

Ebay's your best bet but the XR lights smash easily (one good rock and theyre stuffed) so replacement parts are always sought after. Narva make an aftermarket version of the lights but from memory they are a sealed beam and you would still need to make the brackets to hold them.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
ronwest

This maybe another option (at least it's easy)...
http://tinyurl.com/7lmvb26
Old 15-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
This maybe another option (at least it's easy)...
http://tinyurl.com/7lmvb26
ewwww.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
ewwww.
Yeah not the best although I saw some at a shopping centre car park.
They look better on the car than you'd think (than I thought, anyway).
Old 15-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is another option you may want to look at http://www.twinlight.com.au/

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could always go a repo te50 bar and keep standard lights
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a person on evil bay att that has front bar and lights for sale, car had fire in workshop (interior) and is selling in bits. sydney location hope helps
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
shayne93
66 Mustang

Hi guys, looks the the cost of it all will rule it out... regardless of that, Thanks heaps for your help!!!