Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
zakjames

Default AU XR8 questions

Hey all, looking at getting an AU XR8 in the next few weeks. Most definately preferrably a series 3. Now first toss up is between a sedan and a ute. I currently have a XR6 sedan in manual so I was thinking the ute would be a good change of scene. Also whats the difference in handling and 0-100 between the auto and the manual for the 8's as im ever so sick of the heavy clutch and deep gear changes (long gear shift throw) im dealing with in the XR6.

All inputs appreciated especially those with experience in the fields.
Thanks guys.

zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: AU XR8 questions

Firstly, theres an immense difference in handling between the ute & sedan XR8s due to IRS in the sedan.

Auto v Manual times are much of a muchness really & depend on the driver (and what you prefer). I havent experienced the Manual XR8, but given they use the same box as the XR6, id say it would be quite the same feel.

Also, the S3 utes still only get the 200kw motor, only the sedans got the 220.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
DaveTE
Back in black

Have you looked at the Series 3 AU Pursuit Ute. XR front and 250kw stroker engine from the factory. Look them up. They are more expensive but worth it for the grunt.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
DaveTE
Back in black

Have an XR8 auto and a manual TE50, prefer the manual by far but the XR8 is still the one I drive every day so haven't had a chance to get sick of it. In the T-Series AUs the manual are clocking slightly better times down the 1/4 mile. But the XR8 manual is a different box to the Ts.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
zakjames

cheers boys. Ill still keep an open mind and have a drive of them all if I get the chance.
zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

For the 1/4 mile the stock auto is at least half a second slower than a manual because of the long first gear but on the street the auto is smooth and cruisey with the acceleration difference not so noticeable.............A mate of mine has a virtually stock 220 auto and I love to drive it when ever he throws me the keys as it pulls much better when rolling than what a 1/4 mile time slip would indicate.
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post