Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Default Advice needed - Coolant flush

Hi everyone,

I'm no mechanical expert when it comes to cars so where better than this forum to ask for some advice.

I got my car serviced at a well known dealer today and specified a coolant flush. When picking my car up, I was told that sometimes there can be 'air pockets' and for me to check my coolant level and if it has dropped, to top up with distilled water. Does this sound right? Wouldn't part of the coolant flush procedure involve bleeding out any air pockets? Sure enough, I just went out to check my reservoir and there's hardly any coolant in there. To tell you the truth, the reservoir doesn't look any different to before today's coolant flush.

Should I top it up with distilled water?

1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Advice needed - Coolant flush

I'm no mechanic either but I had a coolant flush last year and there was definitely no 'topping up' required the next day. That being said, if they didn't run the heater when filling up the car, I'm fairly sure that would explain the empty reservoir. I would just add some water until the reservoir is full.
Old 25-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I'm no mechanic either but I had a coolant flush last year and there was definitely no 'topping up' required the next day. That being said, if they didn't run the heater when filling up the car, I'm fairly sure that would explain the empty reservoir. I would just add some water until the reservoir is full.
Thanks mate. I had my other car done a few months ago and didn't need to top it up either. Different dealer. I just can't help thinking that maybe the proper coolant flush procedure wasn't followed. Doesn't it take a while to do a coolant flush? ie the car has to be running to reach temperature etc?
Old 25-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What we used to do at Honda was flush out the system, then cut up a 600ml coke bottle in half and open up the radiator cap and put the lid side down inside the hole. run the car and top it up as the level goes down/up bleeding out the air.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What we used to do at Honda was flush out the system, then cut up a 600ml coke bottle in half and open up the radiator cap and put the lid side down inside the hole. run the car and top it up as the level goes down/up bleeding out the air.
Would it be reasonable to expect a Ford dealer to do the same? ie bleed out the air? It cost $195 for the coolant flush on top of the service itself.
Old 25-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
Would it be reasonable to expect a Ford dealer to do the same? ie bleed out the air? It cost $195 for the coolant flush on top of the service itself.
They should have unless they are rushing through all their jobs, keep an eye on the coolant level, if they did it correctly it won't move up and down because its been properly bled.
Old 25-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
They should have unless they are rushing through all their jobs, keep an eye on the coolant level, if they did it correctly it won't move up and down because its been properly bled.
Yeah that's what I think. Probably shouldn't have requested the coolant flush on a saturday when they close at 12pm. Is there an easy way to tell that they have actually done the coolant flush? There's practically nothing in the reservoir. The service sheet said that they did the coolant flush (drained and refilled cooling system, pressure tested and tested for leaks. I would assume if there was a leak, it would have been picked up?
Old 25-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The fact that the mechanic said to fill with distilled water indicates that he used coolant concentrate of the correct quantity, then topped up with distilled water. The reservoir normally gets stained by the old coolant so wont clean up unless the mechanic takes it out and cleans the inside of the reservoir by some means (can be difficult). Flushing wont clean it.

Accurate coolant level checks are done when cold, with the car on a level surface. When filling with the new coolant after a flush, some cars are notorious for air pockets remaining, others are not. Some have bleeder screws to enable air pockets to be bled out (eg. VL Commodore I6). The Falcons I have had haven't needed to be bled, but small pockets do normally remain so I check the next day or so and top up until it stabilised.

When the coolant warms up, the coolant level in the reservoir is normally higher because of expansion of the coolant as it heats up. So the mechanic cannot accurately recheck the level until its cooled down again (also that the reservoir pressure cap needs to be depressurized if hot). Sometimes it takes a few heat-cool cycles before the level stabilises.

Thats why a good mechanic makes the owner aware to check the level after the service.

Looking at eb2montys last post where it was mentioned that the service sheet stated the coolant was "drained and refilled", somehow I doubt they actually did a flush, only opened the draincock to drain out the old coolant, then refilled. Thats why I do that job myself so I know its done properly. I would query what they actually did.

Cheers.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 25-06-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The fact that the mechanic said to fill with distilled water indicates that he used coolant concentrate of the correct quantity, then topped up with distilled water. The reservoir normally gets stained by the old coolant so wont clean up unless the mechanic takes it out and cleans the inside of the reservoir by some means (can be difficult). Flushing wont clean it.

Accurate coolant level checks are done when cold, with the car on a level surface. When filling with the new coolant after a flush, some cars are notorious for air pockets remaining, others are not. Some have bleeder screws to enable air pockets to be bled out (eg. VL Commodore I6). The Fords I have had haven't needed to be bled, but small pockets do normally remain so I check the next day or so and top up until it stabilised.

When the coolant warms up, the coolant level in the reservoir is normally higher because of expansion of the coolant as it heats up. So the mechanic cannot accurately recheck the level until its cooled down again (also that the reservoir pressure cap needs to be depressurized if hot). Sometimes it takes a few heat-cool cycles before the level stabilises.

Thats why a good mechanic makes the owner aware to check the level after the service.

Looking at eb2montys last post where it was mentioned that the service sheet stated the coolant was "drained and refilled", somehow I doubt they actually did a flush, only opened the draincock the refilled. Thats why I do that job myself so I know its done properly.

Cheers.
Thanks for that info. I just want to make sure that I maintain my car properly. I don't drive my ef xr8 much as it's in the shed most of the time. I just thoughy it would be good maintenance to get a coolant flush as it hasn't had one for a while.

So do I need to do anything other than fill with distilled water and monitor the level? I just want to avoid any corrosion down the track.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #10
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post

Accurate coolant level checks are done when cold, with the car on a level surface. When filling with the new coolant after a flush, some cars are notorious for air pockets remaining, others are not. Some have bleeder screws to enable air pockets to be bled out (eg. VL Commodore I6). The Falcons I have had haven't needed to be bled, but small pockets do normally remain so I check the next day or so and top up until it stabilised.

Looking at eb2montys last post where it was mentioned that the service sheet stated the coolant was "drained and refilled", somehow I doubt they actually did a flush, only opened the draincock to drain out the old coolant, then refilled. Thats why I do that job myself so I know its done properly. I would query what they actually did.

Cheers.
Sorry to drag you back to an old subject. I was reading your advice on draining a cooling system properly & was hoping you could advise me on best way to completely drain engine to prepare for new batch & perhaps a different colour. Currently green and car is AUII XR8 220kw motor. I have looked at so many conflicting how to do sites I was not sure what to do. Hope you can settle this one for me, thanks Cameron

Last edited by xr8cam; 06-01-2017 at 11:39 PM.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The last paragraph in my previous post, I have added to query what they have done with regard to a flush.

The concentrate quantity added was hopefully the correct amount so that when completely full (ie without air pockets and the reservoir at the correct level), the correct coolant % concentration will be there.

When there are coolant leaks or loss of coolant, is when the coolant will start to dilute too much, when distilled water only is added.
Old 25-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
The last paragraph in my previous post, I have added to query what they have done with regard to a flush.

The concentrate quantity added was hopefully the correct amount so that when completely full (ie without air pockets and the reservoir at the correct level), the correct coolant % concentration will be there.

When there are coolant leaks or loss of coolant, is when the coolant will start to dilute too much, when distilled water only is added.
Thanks for all that. So if I add distilled water and assuming that there is the right amount of concentrate, would the reservoir then fill with coloured coolant? On my service sheet it says FOR132 for the AntiFreeze - 1 litre. Would that be a green or yellow colour?
Old 25-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

$195?
geez
was it green? then it was fine.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
$195?
geez
was it green? then it was fine.

He he, I'm doing my best to at least keep Ford Service Centres in business.
Old 25-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Should be the right colour when its mixed with what's there. Seeing the reservoir internal surface is not clean, i suggest you have a look at the coolant down in the reservoir opening when cold, to see what colour it is, and whether its a clean colour, or a not so clean colour which may indicate an insufficient flush.
Old 25-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Should be the right colour when its mixed with what's there. Seeing the reservoir internal surface is not clean, i suggest you have a look at the coolant down in the reservoir opening when cold, to see what colour it is, and whether its a clean colour, or a not so clean colour which may indicate an insufficient flush.
Had a look and it is a nice clean colour, just not to the level I expected as per between min and max in the reservoir. I'll top up with distilled water tomorrow and make sure it reaches the right level. Thanks
Old 26-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just to note, we never used distilled water for anything at our dealership.
Old 26-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Me either, however here is a bit of info your coolant should be changed every 2 years it does go off if left unchanged and it crystalizes (sp) usually blocking up the cores in your radiator. Coolant like diff oil and tranny fluid are often overlooked on cars where almost everyone atleast on AFF change their engine oil every 5k weather its needed or not ....lol....

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Me either, however here is a bit of info your coolant should be changed every 2 years it does go off if left unchanged and it crystalizes (sp) usually blocking up the cores in your radiator. Coolant like diff oil and tranny fluid are often overlooked on cars where almost everyone atleast on AFF change their engine oil every 5k weather its needed or not ....lol....
Thanks for the info mate.
Old 26-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
What is added to the coolant concentrate if not distilled water? On my service sheet it says that 1 litre of coolant was used.
Old 26-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
What is added to the coolant concentrate if not distilled water? On my service sheet it says that 1 litre of coolant was used.
Ordinary tap water, distilled water is used for battery top ups, ordinary water is used in radiators, remember its changed every 2 years roughly 30-40,000k's tap water is fine.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ordinary tap water, distilled water is used for battery top ups, ordinary water is used in radiators, remember its changed every 2 years roughly 30-40,000k's tap water is fine.
adelaide tap is murray river water....... mud....
i use and recomend distilled.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
adelaide tap is murray river water....... mud....
i use and recomend distilled.....
Same here. For the tiny extra cost involved in using distilled / demineralised water you know the water has no trace elements and other impurities.

You can buy it from coles / woolies in the cleaning section for around $1 a litre.

When I got someone else to do a flush I left 5 litres with them to ensure it was used.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i would not use ordinary tap water in the cooling system, minerals , chlorine treatment circulating through alloy ........not for this little black duck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
What does the manual specify for the coolant mix?

I suppose one concern is whether the flush was done or not, and if they couldnt bleed the system properly and the level to be down so quickly whether they did the actual flush properly.

In regards to distilled water, no harm in it other than the dent in your wallet. If the water looks clean and has no taste, then it will be fine in a motor. There will be far more rubbish polluting stuff from within the motor and radiator to be worried about trace elements in drinking water, though if you are topping it up with tap water every day those trace elements can build up, just like in your eleccy kettle etc.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he may just be being cautious, theres no gaurantee to get every last ounce of air out, and different cars have different procedures for getting air out, one of my cars years ago you had to remove the heater hose at it highest end and let it bleed through, and you still had to check it the next day.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one thing to remember, coolant has a limited life, specifically corrosion inhibitors(hence the use by date), from the moment you add coolant to the system inhibitors are fighting corrosion/chemical reaction, adding more impurities will shorten the life of the inhibitors and cooling system protection.
Old 28-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #28
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To clean a cooling system completely with no danger of harming anything see the link below to Liquid Intelligence 115 Pty Ltd (high temp coolant)

Liquid Intelligence 239 radiator cleaner, (a division of Mainlube)

http://www.liquidintelligence115.com...TELLIGENCE_239

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #29
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainlube
To clean a cooling system completely with no danger of harming anything see the link below to Liquid Intelligence 115 Pty Ltd (high temp coolant)

Liquid Intelligence 239 radiator cleaner, (a division of Mainlube)

http://www.liquidintelligence115.com...TELLIGENCE_239

Cheers

Steve
Whats this stuff worth and how much will be needed to treat ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #30
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I've seen cabs run for 800,000klms that have:
* never had a coolant flush
* used the cheapest coolant
* had it mixed pretty thin
* run at operating temperature 23 hours a day
* only have a coolant change when they bust a hose

So anyone who pays $195 for a coolant flush is someone with SUCKER written on their forehead - especially if you've got a car that's over a decade old!