Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: What should Dave do???
Stay with stock shocks 0 0%
$560 for Koni Red fronts / Koni Yellow rears 4 9.09%
$700 for Koni Yellows fronts and rears 36 81.82%
Get aftermarket shocks but Koni's are overkill! 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #121
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Koni's on my AU - which ones though??

Im sure I paid about $600 for my KYB's..they do the job quite well, but I never ever track my car, just a daily.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #122
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe
KYB AGX's from the same mob are $500 a pair. Are you talking about the cooking version KYB's?

From the research I have done (ie not much) there doesnt seem to be much choice in between a $230 pair of Monroe GT's (ebay) or $550 Koni's...

Am I right or are there better shocks than the monroes that dont cost as much as the Konis?
I went BOGE shocks which also do a short strut for the front. I paid $440 for all 4 about 2-3 years ago from Car Torque here in Adelaide over the counter. BOGE are a german made shock which are supplied to Mercedes and Audi vehicles in Germany. I have found the Eibach springs and BOGE combination to be very good. I have pushed my car hard in the hills and found it to be very stable yet still provide a comfortable ride and still attain reasonable undertray clearance for speed humps etc. I also run Superpro Urethane bushes in most of my components. Nolathane is a brand name and you tend to pay a bit extra for the name. Nolathan and Super pro still use urethane bushes, just they are designed ever so slightly differently as well as color wise Super Pro have all their bushes in yellow I believe where Nolathan use Red as their color.

KYB's are a good brand. I remember using them about 8 years ago when they were breaking into the ozzy market and picking up a set of mid range shocks for less than Monroe's at the time. Word caught on quick and KYB are right up there price wise with some of the higher end brands by the sounds of it. If you can get them cheaper online etc, then go for it.

Monroe's are a long time known brand, I haven't used them for a long time, but they have picked up their game with their performance line so it might be worth considering them if cash is tight. Used commonly from factory with Fords, Holdens and back when they were around, Mitsubishi. A lot of members here swear by them as a good, cheap and some what reliable option. Just be aware they may not be at the same level as Koni/Bilsteins.

Brands I personally stay away from are Ultima & Gabriel as I have seen and heard first hand reports from people who have bought these shocks and found them to be lacking in performance and longevity in their opinion.

Pedder's I would just say, purchase at your own risk. Do some google and forum searches on what others say about pedders. Some love them, some don't. It's a personal choice in the end, and you need to be informed before you hand over your cash.

Please be aware also that the above is purely my opinion and by no means should it be taken as gospel. I only speak from my own personal experience based on what I have used and what has worked for me in the past. I recommend continuing your research on the subject a bit more about each particular brand and then making a decision on what is best for your personal budget.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 02-11-2011 at 04:18 PM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #123
xp_wannabe

Why do some of them offer the short strut? eg BOGE and Monroe?

On the king springs website it says something like "we highly reccomend you use monroe gt shortened shocks with the super low springs"

yet when I asked the guy at Wholesale Suspensions about the Koni's, he said the one set would suit regardless if i wanted to stay at stock XR height or go to the 30mm/super low height.

he also said to me, measure the height from your wheel hub to the top of your guard, tell him that height, and tell him what height i want it to be, and he'll supply a spring to suit. (within 10mm he said)
xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #124
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The short strut offers an extra inch or so of extra travel in the shock that would not normally be there on a standard shock. the benefit of that short shock is only when you have lowered springs more than average (more than an inch lower than stock). it just provides a bit of additional comfort over rougher surfaces.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #125
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have reds on the front and yellows on the rear, they did`nt have yellows available when i got my fronts,
i would`nt look at reds if i could get yellows, reds you have to twist the top half while holding the bottom(unless they have changed them), difficult if bolted in the car, yellows have the knob to adjust the shocker....much betterer imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #126
Day-mow
rexnet

KYB AGX will be my choice for front struts. i've herd good things. better then koni/blisten

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #127
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
KYB AGX will be my choice for front struts. i've herd good things. better then koni/blisten
For the price of those, you are well on the way to coil overs in my opinion. Im not XP_wannabe wants to spend that sort of cash if you can get 4 decent brand units for the same price. I could be wrong.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #128
Day-mow
rexnet

they make coil overs for AUs?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #129
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
they make coil overs for AUs?
pretty sure they do. I reckon Ive seen Tein's and Pedders on an AU. Hell if they do coil overs for a BA, then they should do them for an AU. Last time I was quoted for coil overs, it was about $2200. But the options for settings were killer. Raise and lower ride height to whatever and still maintain stock like ride comfort with a twist of a spindle. Can be a bit of a pain to setup but I hear its the way to go, and the handling is nothing short of awesome.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #130
xp_wannabe

KYB AGX's are $50 a pair cheaper than Koni Yellows, so I've been quoted from Wholesale Suspension in Penrith...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #131
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I went BOGE shocks which also do a short strut for the front. I paid $440 for all 4 about 2-3 years ago from Car Torque here in Adelaide over the counter. BOGE are a german made shock which are supplied to Mercedes and Audi vehicles in Germany. I have found the Eibach springs and BOGE combination to be very good. I have pushed my car hard in the hills and found it to be very stable yet still provide a comfortable ride and still attain reasonable undertray clearance for speed humps etc. I also run Superpro Urethane bushes in most of my components. Nolathane is a brand name and you tend to pay a bit extra for the name. Nolathan and Super pro still use urethane bushes, just they are designed ever so slightly differently as well as color wise Super Pro have all their bushes in yellow I believe where Nolathan use Red as their color.

KYB's are a good brand. I remember using them about 8 years ago when they were breaking into the ozzy market and picking up a set of mid range shocks for less than Monroe's at the time. Word caught on quick and KYB are right up there price wise with some of the higher end brands by the sounds of it. If you can get them cheaper online etc, then go for it.

Monroe's are a long time known brand, I haven't used them for a long time, but they have picked up their game with their performance line so it might be worth considering them if cash is tight. Used commonly from factory with Fords, Holdens and back when they were around, Mitsubishi. A lot of members here swear by them as a good, cheap and some what reliable option. Just be aware they may not be at the same level as Koni/Bilsteins.

Brands I personally stay away from are Ultima & Gabriel as I have seen and heard first hand reports from people who have bought these shocks and found them to be lacking in performance and longevity in their opinion.

Pedder's I would just say, purchase at your own risk. Do some google and forum searches on what others say about pedders. Some love them, some don't. It's a personal choice in the end, and you need to be informed before you hand over your cash.

Please be aware also that the above is purely my opinion and by no means should it be taken as gospel. I only speak from my own personal experience based on what I have used and what has worked for me in the past. I recommend continuing your research on the subject a bit more about each particular brand and then making a decision on what is best for your personal budget.
Blueoval no disrespect but may I add on your post above as a FYI talking from Industry experience from first bolded to last :

Boge long ago were only made in germany - for years now sourced from many of their factory joint ventures around the world incl Asia sth america.

Both Nolathane and Superpro are the known brand names in suspension for donkeys years - still use urethane bush's ? they are urethane bushs period nothing else, Superpro have been blue for years apart from some private branding in yellow or special item. Nola forever red.

KYB are not rated with higher end brands ie Koni Bilstein, they compete with Monroe Gabriel.....

Monroe picked up their game ? where ? is it because they released a swaydoo cheapo lower sport kit I assume ?, nothing more nothing less but you did mention at a fair price which is just that.
They are by no means any where near the level of koni or bilstein, Ford business went offshore from BA I can't confirm for now if back here,new terri back at monroe.

I have fitted supplied and fixed and heard bad reports not just of Ultima Gabriel but Monroe and kyb case's, heck even had some koni issues and I can tell you great reports from all the brands above as well.
Ultima,Gabriel,monroe and kyb 98% of their lines are not "performance" oriented in the first place but slightly up spec comparo of the OE item, longevity is debatable by all brands importantly they don't want the average shock/strut to last forever in the first place and all made to a price. Whereas koni Bilstein use far higher standard of internals but for the average consumer thats overkill.

There is many many great positive case's of pedders just as much as there's negative especially from keyboards, having dealt with problems across the suspension field manymany of the problems occur once investigated is that the customer has over abused, or wrong product to application, not fitted new bump stops, used old bump stops and bottomed out therefore caused seal damage and leaking, std shock length but fitted with lowered coils, cut coils std shock length etcetc but word of mouth is its the product failure, heard it and proven people incorrect many times, granted no brand is perfect but also its how its handled at counter level and to be honest that is lacking across the country but thats another storey.

Speaking from your own experience is fine but hope you don't mind me correcting your own experience with actual selling and use of every brand mentioned and more.

Last bit was great - continue researching.

Shorter stroke shock/strut is preffered after 20-25mm for at std length with low coil the piston rod would bottom out therefore cause leaking and bump stop steer therefore ride suffers as does control.

Coil overs for AU - fronts shouldn't be a prob virtually as BA as mentioned rears for live axle could/can also be done and maybe available but hardly anyone does for IRS infact unless special build....and $$$
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 03-11-2011 at 10:33 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #132
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

koni`s can be rebuilt , not sure about the others though, but i think a lot of them may be throw aways.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #133
xp_wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217

Shorter stroke shock/strut is preffered after 20-25mm for at std length with low coil the piston rod would bottom out therefore cause leaking and bump stop steer therefore ride suffers as does control.
so if I wanna go lower than XR height (which I believe is already lower than standard falc) do I need short stroke shocks? im thinking i dont because surely there are a few people out there with konis and lower than XR height?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #134
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Blueoval no disrespect but may I add on your post above as a FYI talking from Industry experience from first bolded to last :

Boge long ago were only made in germany - for years now sourced from many of their factory joint ventures around the world incl Asia sth america.

Both Nolathane and Superpro are the known brand names in suspension for donkeys years - still use urethane bush's ? they are urethane bushs period nothing else, Superpro have been blue for years apart from some private branding in yellow or special item. Nola forever red.

KYB are not rated with higher end brands ie Koni Bilstein, they compete with Monroe Gabriel.....

Monroe picked up their game ? where ? is it because they released a swaydoo cheapo lower sport kit I assume ?, nothing more nothing less but you did mention at a fair price which is just that.
They are by no means any where near the level of koni or bilstein, Ford business went offshore from BA I can't confirm for now if back here,new terri back at monroe.

I have fitted supplied and fixed and heard bad reports not just of Ultima Gabriel but Monroe and kyb case's, heck even had some koni issues and I can tell you great reports from all the brands above as well.
Ultima,Gabriel,monroe and kyb 98% of their lines are not "performance" oriented in the first place but slightly up spec comparo of the OE item, longevity is debatable by all brands importantly they don't want the average shock/strut to last forever in the first place and all made to a price. Whereas koni Bilstein use far higher standard of internals but for the average consumer thats overkill.

There is many many great positive case's of pedders just as much as there's negative especially from keyboards, having dealt with problems across the suspension field manymany of the problems occur once investigated is that the customer has over abused, or wrong product to application, not fitted new bump stops, used old bump stops and bottomed out therefore caused seal damage and leaking, std shock length but fitted with lowered coils, cut coils std shock length etcetc but word of mouth is its the product failure, heard it and proven people incorrect many times, granted no brand is perfect but also its how its handled at counter level and to be honest that is lacking across the country but thats another storey.

Speaking from your own experience is fine but hope you don't mind me correcting your own experience with actual selling and use of every brand mentioned and more.

Coil overs for AU - fronts shouldn't be a prob virtually as BA as mentioned rears for live axle could/can also be done and maybe available but hardly anyone does for IRS infact unless special build....and $$$

that is a very benificial read. and thanks for the information. so if im correct in reading. a B series coil over will fit in the front of my AU?
if thats the case #party

Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #135
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have Bilstein in my EF xr6 and way better than the KYB and BOGE that I used as well.

Only gripe I have with Bilstein is they don't have bracket to connect the ABS line....

I'm pretty sure Koni do have the ABS bracket on the strut...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #136
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
that is a very benificial read. and thanks for the information. so if im correct in reading. a B series coil over will fit in the front of my AU?
if thats the case #party
Coil over fronts from a BA will fit an EA too.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #137
Day-mow
rexnet

Just looked at the price of 4 tein coil overs. $2,200 sooooo it's gonna probably never happen. I want a WRX.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #138
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

No problems mate. No disrespect taken. I can appreciate when someone with greater knowledge of the product and the industry can step in and clarify some things. It's been a while since I have bought anything decent in the suspension market, so reading this has opened my eyes to what is happening now.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #139
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe
so if I wanna go lower than XR height (which I believe is already lower than standard falc) do I need short stroke shocks? im thinking i dont because surely there are a few people out there with konis and lower than XR height?
Well if your convinced this is the correct way your decision - if I was doing the job on your car and you requested this I sure would still take your $$$ but advise no wty if you bought the shcks/struts from me, if supplied by you I would still take your hard earned but any product issues can be taken up with who you purcahsed the product from.

Look yer your right there are plenty cars running around with incorrect lengths and mis matchs, its a % game xp_wannabe, some people have all the luck some its as if they run over a black cat but most times these people who take the short cuts and play the % game are the very people who complain and blame brand this brand that when a failure occurs due to their ignorance. If only they listen to someone in the know instead of their mates mate etc and or had the patience to wait till they could afford to do the correct job 8 out of 10 you'll have a good experience.
I say 8 out of 10 because everyone is different what they expect from an enhancement and TBH lowering a average high volume car doesn't turn into a supercar but thats some peoples expectations !
Most times you just harsh up the ride, suffer noise's - cause more damage but parked she looks porn LOL....I'm still a sucker for all this but I accept the compromise ! and my pride and joy isn't a daily.
Balance is an important point.
TBH my previous XR8 I left at std height but dropped the back a further 10mm so the sill line was level, that is spot on compromise IMO.
Scenario - yer sure my car handles fully *** and dumped to the max neva had a prob etcetc, BS....the jackass wouldn't know what a correct handling car is, sitting on the shortened bump stops, shock stroke is nothing and he's scrapping tyres on the inner or out gaurds and also gets a average wheel alignment, upon scrubbing his tyres out within months he blames everyone under the sun tyres gone etcetc....jackass but his call.
Handlings cheapest option is without a doubt sway bars for the average motor car - BUT these are not as high a seller due to we getting caught up with our dreams, at the track race cars,show cars magazines we are convinced thats how I want my car to be - but these visions we have are not day to day cars....lowering the average car alters the geometery of the track, angles of the control arms, more strains of other working parts, still gradual but cause's problems sooner rather than later if left std.
Todays Ford is pretty good but still made to a cost - want handling track car buy a Lotus Elise GT3 heck down spec to a Rex or Evo but its all down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hence the available low cost Aftermarket shocks/struts.
Billys imo are the preffered item but I digress at that price having to take off to adjust rebound - yes rebuildable but nearly to the price of buying a new one anyway depending what is failed and replace the rest on the internals whilst she's apart, long lasting and worth it.
Koni yellows - yep bonus externally adjustable but at low speed (surburban drivng) little harsher than the Billy due to higher pressure gas reacts blink of an eye hence why above wins imo.
The pedigree of the 2 above says it all - track first thats what they made their name on.
The other brands do the job for the average consumer - 4 have OE business in varying guise's the other may have by now but they are baby compared to monroe usa Gabriel usa KYB japan Sachs/Boge German are near on or over 100yr old companies - the word rubbish or no good is easily used but we all know you get what you pay for eh ?

Thanks blueoval and others for your kind comments but enough of shop for me this is my R and R hence why I rarely give my insight.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post