Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
cnwerb
Starter Motor

Default Strongly considering buying a WQ XR4. What do I need to know?

Hi all, first post here.

I'm in the market for my first ever car and the XR4 has really caught my eye. Looks good and apparently drives great.

But I'm wondering if there's any known issues problems with the car? I've done quite a bit of research and so far I've stumbled across the following negatives:
  • gearbox prone to failure due to burnt oil when driven hard
  • Cold start issues
  • top end is devoid of power

How pervasive are these issues and should I stay away from this car because of them? I've looked around and all the XR4's for sale are 130km+ and on their 2nd/3rd owner.

Overall is this car a good buy for 7-8k and what do I need to know before buying?
cnwerb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Strongly considering buying a WQ XR4. What do I need to know?

I'm also looking at one of these and would be interested in any personal experience/problems/advice. So far, I've read about the gearbox being prone to failure when abused, not much else though. From what I've read, the engine torque is close to capacity of the transmission in 1st gear so that's where the damage can happen.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
JVC063

The only weak spot from my ownership is factory rims are easily broken, It was great to drive and always left a smile on your face, my brother in-law drove mine once and went out and purchased his own..
JVC063 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
SRC88
Starter Motor

To the OP,

I have had my XR4 for a few years now, and thoroughly enjoy it. Depending on where you look you can get the car for less than 7k.

The car is rough on start up, I mainly put this down to the restrictive flexi pipe and jungle network induction system. Changing these helps.

Gearbox, i know mine has a synchromesh issue with 2nd gear, most likely from snapping 2nd all the time and will sort this out when I get an LSD. However it is the first time that I have heard of burnt gearbox oil.

It is more commonly known that the powersteering fluid boils over, when driven hard. A $50 derale cooler from eBay greatly helps and it is an enjoyable install.

TBH you dont need to worry about top end power, how often driving on roads will you use it all?

The lack of a 6th gear bugs me the most on long drives, but I am mainly in city traffic, so it is only once or twice a year - eg Sydney to Canberra trips

Overall it is a great little car, especially since it allows you to tinker with it. Depends what you are in it for, daily driver or spirited driver?

I highly recommend doing the following:
- Flush brake fluid (usually most overlooked when buying cars)
- Power steering fluid, flush it as soon as possible.
- Upgrade the stock filter, to a K&N panel filter.
- Install new spark plugs
- Replace fuel filter

all the above can be done, by a willing DIY mechanic.
SRC88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I have some performance parts available when you get it, the two best I have are the GGR air intake and the lower engine mount replacements.

I loved mine, just needed something that could tow.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
cnwerb
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston View Post
I have some performance parts available when you get it, the two best I have are the GGR air intake and the lower engine mount replacements.

I loved mine, just needed something that could tow.
Tried to PM you but apparently my post count is too low.
Old 31-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
cnwerb
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC88 View Post
To the OP,

Gearbox, i know mine has a synchromesh issue with 2nd gear, most likely from snapping 2nd all the time and will sort this out when I get an LSD. However it is the first time that I have heard of burnt gearbox oil.
What are the symptoms of the syncho issue? How can you tell theres a problem?
Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnwerb View Post
Hi all, first post here.

I'm in the market for my first ever car and the XR4 has really caught my eye. Looks good and apparently drives great.

But I'm wondering if there's any known issues problems with the car? I've done quite a bit of research and so far I've stumbled across the following negatives:
  • gearbox prone to failure due to burnt oil when driven hard
  • Cold start issues
  • top end is devoid of power

How pervasive are these issues and should I stay away from this car because of them? I've looked around and all the XR4's for sale are 130km+ and on their 2nd/3rd owner.

Overall is this car a good buy for 7-8k and what do I need to know before buying?
Don't where you are but there is one advertised down here in Nth Tassie for $6500 125000kms check it out on Gumtree.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
SRC88
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnwerb View Post
What are the symptoms of the syncho issue? How can you tell theres a problem?
It just pops out of second when coming off throttle, above 3000rpm slowing down. Though It does not occur when you hold the gear stick in position.

However what is surprising, is after I replaced the left and right hand side upper gear box mounts. The issue seems to not be occurring - i did this about 5 days ago.

After checking the OEM drivers side mount, the rubber was quite perished and produced a lot of free movement, when testing off the car. So maybe there was just excessive engine movement that would tuck on the gear cables popping it out.
SRC88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
zabatron

I bought my Xr4 new in 2008,and I sold it back in May last year with 95000km on the clock.During my ownership,it required a new water pump at 30000km(fixed under warranty),the gear box oil was found to be black and burnt at @38000km and promptly replaced with quality Castrol Syntrans gear fluid which cured both the cold shifting and occasional popping out of gear issues,the power steering fluid was also replaced at @40000km due the original fluid also being black and burnt,the washer fluid bottle cracked and leaked ,and was replaced at@50000km,the drivers side power window was loose and rattly from new,but I was told by my Ford dealership that this was normaL(The windoow never failed though),and the front drivers side door lock mechanism failed at @85000km,which was both fiddly and expensive to replace.
I also experienced the cold start issue mentioned above,but its severity seemed to vary depending on what brand of fuel i used.
Apart from the above issues,the car was very reliable and fun to drive.
By far the biggest issue I had was the idiots the racing stripes used to attract on a near daily basis,and i will never buy a car with stripes ever again!
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 01:02 AM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

After reading the issues found from the other members on the forum. The only other issue I have heard about is a sagging dual filament tail light globe causing a major issue, and that was in the editorial of a street fords mag
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 AM   #12
zabatron

Forgot to mention in my above post that the front head light globes(both sides) also needed replacement on a regular basis until this was cured by switching to Tungsram branded globes on the advice of an interstate truck driver at my work.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #13
cnwerb
Starter Motor

So I've actually purchased my xr4, a few weeks ago now. It feels pretty good, and I'm enjoying it. The only thing that really really bugs me is the ridiculously short 1st gear. I only ever stay in first gear for probably about a second or less! I've resorted to either taking off in 2nd or skipping 2nd and going 1st to 3rd, which makes it slightly more enjoyable to drive