Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
aufutura_bloke

Default tensioner O Ring

can someone please tell me how to replace the O RING on the TENSIONER. Im assuming ford mean the tensioner pulleys.

Web-Site:
http://www.aufalcon.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?act=item&i=394
aufutura_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
sly
Sly like a G6

That'd be the oil seal on the timing chain tensioner. Remove snorkel, fans, loosen belt, remove power steering pump from bracket, remove bracket and there's the tensioner on the driver's side of the engine. Inner bolt may undo cleanly or the whole assembly may undo. I've done this numerous times (once for each camshaft change) but I can't tell you exactly where the O-ring is. I have to do this myself soon as I have quite a good leak, but I suspect you'll be doing yours before me.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

There is no good fitting " O " ring that you can buy

on this part there is 2 "O" rings on the filter

And when you remove this part there is also a O ring on there as well
BUT there is not a good " O " Ring that you can get to fit this part
Old 13-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
sly
Sly like a G6

Some others on here reckon they've got kits from Ford dealers for around $20 that stop the leak. Haven't tried myself yet, will find out eventually. Great photos though, spot on. Is that the "special tool" for releasing the tension or did you mod the allen key yourself? I always use a bog stock 3mm allen key.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 13-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
trick_xd

Yep I " Modded " it

at Work I was doing from 2 to 5 Head gaskets a week So I have it down Pat ..
Old 13-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
That'd be the oil seal on the timing chain tensioner. Remove snorkel, fans, loosen belt, remove power steering pump from bracket, remove bracket and there's the tensioner on the driver's side of the engine. Inner bolt may undo cleanly or the whole assembly may undo. I've done this numerous times (once for each camshaft change) but I can't tell you exactly where the O-ring is. I have to do this myself soon as I have quite a good leak, but I suspect you'll be doing yours before me.
i had to do this just recently, and i didnt have to remove snorkle or fans. you can get to the belt tensioner with a 3/8th drive breaker bar then undo the p/s pump to get to the chain tensioner. i also added some ultra grey around the seal for added leak prevention.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

goto Motion Industries(www.motionind.com.au).. we have a million different size O rings
compared to supercheaps "assorted" pack

also there is some good loctite products that may help
Old 13-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
i had to do this just recently, and i didnt have to remove snorkle or fans. you can get to the belt tensioner with a 3/8th drive breaker bar then undo the p/s pump to get to the chain tensioner. i also added some ultra grey around the seal for added leak prevention.
If you're strong enough you can deflect the belt enough to R&R it just by grabbing it & giving it a bit of a tug. My assortment of 1/2" drive extensions are either too short to reach through the PS pulley or long enough to foul the ratchet handle on the fan shroud, so I can't do it without pulling fan assy, which means pulling the snorkel first.

Fair enough he should try it without removing fans & snorkel first, but it's not too hard to do so if he needs to.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 13-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
There is no good fitting " O " ring that you can buy

And when you remove this part there is also a O ring on there as well
BUT there is not a good " O " Ring that you can get to fit this part
The bit that you left bolted to the block has an 0-ring on and this is what leaks mostly....and you can buy them...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
trick_xd

Yep I fell asleep and left that Pick out ...

even the O ring there is hard to find to get one to fit right.
I like to use selastic to put behind it so it does not course any trouble.
Old 14-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #11
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
at Work I was doing from 2 to 5 Head gaskets a week So I have it down Pat ..
Hopefully customer gaskets, not your own...

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 14-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
trick_xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Hopefully customer gaskets, not your own...

LoL Yep

I don't work as a Mechanic now But still do "back-yard's"
Old 14-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Great pics trick!

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is that an e series tensioner,looks quite a bit different to the ones i've seen in my au engines.
the au tensioners i've seen don't have an o ring on them .just the black housing that screws into the block.
Old 14-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #15
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's a pic of an au one
Old 14-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
trick_xd

That is the tensioner You have a pic of there ... It sits behind the "Disc" in the pic of mine

Where the Allen key is sticking out of is the tensioner that you have picks of.

GK ...I did a hole step by step guide with pic's and what tools needed to do a Head gasket change and also a water pump change .
Old 14-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok now i'm confused,whats the bit in your bottom pic sitting above the alum key to the left? (in your 1st post)

i assumed it was the tensioner,my au i6's don't have this piece.
Old 14-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
trick_xd

OK first you have this

So you undo the 14mm "bolt" and remove it
like this

Then you put the Allen Key into the center and turn it anti clockwise

While you Put a screw driver down from the Top and Help push the tensioner back By pushing on the chain Guide.

Then when You undo that "Disc" you will see the tensioner ....

BUT if all you do as I say You DO-NOT have to do anymore to the tensioner then remove the "bolt" and release the tensioner with the Allen key and screwdriver
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: tensioner O Ring

Help,

I can not get the inside blot to undo. Each time I turn the bolt the ouside ring starts to unscrew as well. Does this matter? Do I have to remove the whole outside case then undo the centre bolt?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The 1 I did. did the same just took the whole lot out then replaced in 2 separate pieces

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Its all out now. Have ordered the new o rings. Pick up tommorw.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 23-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Ok after a week or so he chain is nosiy and stalling when run on gas. So I have removed the tensioner (again) and it has three states

1. undone

2. half way tight

3. Fully closed

You can see from this picture what the case locks onto

So my questions are.
a. Can I reset the tension outside the case, slide it in and then just tight it up or
b. slide back the outer caseing, then slide it onto the untighted spring (makeing sure nothing goes into the engine) and then set it?

And what settings, undone, half thighten or full?

UK
Old 23-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Its back in now. Taking it for a run soon. Questions above still stand

Uk
Old 26-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #24
blueau

you can swap the larger oring for an alloy sump plug washer, tends to work alot better
blueau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueau
you can swap the larger oring for an alloy sump plug washer, tends to work alot better
They do look the same in size. Will try and grab a sound bite of the engine to see what everyone thinks.

UK