Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Whiskeyonesix

Default UK AU Falcon on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-FORD-...item3a6b67f3f6

This has been up previously....

Quote:
the running gear is all jaguar
Hmmm.... how's that work then??

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: UK AU Falcon on eBay

I guess to the poms, only jag makes a 6 as big as 4 litre.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I guess to the poms, only jag makes a 6 as big as 4 litre.
Except they were doing twin cam alloy head back in the 1940s. I love my Falcons and wouldn;t swap them for anything, but to say an agricultural live axle rough as guts sohc coon runs Jag running gear is a bit of a slap in the face lol.
At the same time if the AUs had Jag running gear there would be a handful used as taxis, not thousands
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Contrary to this false ad, I am not selling my car.
They even got the colour wrong

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Jimmyd
Banned

Probably got their wires crossed; AU Intech engine was sent over to Jaguar for bottom end resdign - rephased crank to get substantial improvements. If it has the optional IRS there is some heratige there too....
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
Day-mow
rexnet

800 pound bargin

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Whiskeyonesix

Quote:
AU Intech engine was sent over to Jaguar for bottom end resdign - rephased crank to get substantial improvements. If it has the optional [COLOR=#F80000 ]IRS[/COLOR] there is some heratige there too....
Now I didn't know that I might see if I can find any further info about that... interests me..

There's another AU on eBay..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Falco...item27bf707f3a
This guy's living in La-La land if he thinks someones gonna pay the best part of 6 grand for that!
Whats with the green rocker cover?

Old 23-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyonesix
Factory LPG
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Whiskeyonesix

Ok cool

Drawn a brank with hunting for info about the IRS setup. Having looked at the schematics of it, it seems very overcomplicated to be something JLR would have knocked together - and to build that into what is a single-market and very low-build car like the falcon. I would have said BMW had a hand in it (wrong era I think....), but I just can't find any info about it at all...

I might post in the "Ford - 6" section about the Jag involvement, but I really dont think anyone would have much of a clue - its fairly obscure

Old 24-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now I didn't know that I might see if I can find any further info about that... interests me..

There's another AU on eBay..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Falco...item27bf707f3a
This guy's living in La-La land if he thinks someones gonna pay the best part of 6 grand for that!
that would be a rare car over there most commercials over there are little 4 bangers or diesels an AU 6 would be a speed deamon. and did you see the Ks on it?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Ok cool

Drawn a brank with hunting for info about the IRS setup. Having looked at the schematics of it, it seems very overcomplicated to be something JLR would have knocked together - and to build that into what is a single-market and very low-build car like the falcon. I would have said BMW had a hand in it (wrong era I think....), but I just can't find any info about it at all...

I might post in the "Ford - 6" section about the Jag involvement, but I really dont think anyone would have much of a clue - its fairly obscure
He may be thinking about the DEW98 platform which Jag adopted but ended up being too expensive for the Falcon. I beleive the AU's IRS has some loose connections to the DEW98 version.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Jimmyd
Banned

Was a Ford service manager when AU was released - internal memos spelled out Jaguars involvement.

Don't have copies any more, but was plenty of press releases around at the time;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford press release
Falcon's Intech six is one of the most fuel efficient engines over 3.0 litres available, according to Ford Australia's Engine Design Supervisor, David Mitchell.

"During development, we tapped into Ford's worldwide resources including the Advanced Powertrain unit in Ford AVT (Advanced Vehicle Technology) Centre in Detroit, Jaguar with their 50-year heritage in building refined and powerful overhead camshaft in-line sixes, as well as Tickford for the XR engines," he said.

________

The crankshaft is a new, stiffer yet lighter, 8-counterweight design with some technology input from Jaguar. The inherent balance superiority of Falcon's in-line 6-cylinder layout over V6 means that the complication of balance shafts is superfluous.
full press release here

IRS was loosely based on the Mustang SVT Cobra IRS, which in turn was a modified Jaguar design. Ford tech dept was cagy about that one, claiming it as an 'all aussie' design;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford press release
"Once people drive and ride in this car, they will be surprised and delighted and will instantly share our enthusiasm for it," Ian Vaughan said.

"AU Falcon is a world class car line, specifically developed for local and similar conditions but adaptable to others. While Falcon is still the only current car line designed in Australia, Ford Australia drew on the latest of Ford's worldwide leading edge technology and computer resources to help bring the AU from paper to pavement.

"The new IRS in the AU Fairmont Ghia and Falcon XR6 VCT and XR8 is a good example of this process. We studied existing and planned Ford IRS systems around the world, selected the most suitable (which was a new, yet-to-be-launched, state-of-the-art system), then comprehensively changed it to fit into the Falcon and to incorporate further engineering features needed for our local and export environments" he said.

AU Falcon heralds the debut of Australia's first locally developed, engineered and volume built independent rear suspension (IRS) in a rear drive car.

full press release here
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
Whiskeyonesix

Mystery solved! Cheers guys

Old 31-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
agricultural live axle rough as guts sohc coon
i lol'd
so accurate
Old 31-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i lol'd
so accurate

Never a truer word spoken about my baby !!!

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Except they were doing twin cam alloy head back in the 1940s. I love my Falcons and wouldn;t swap them for anything, but to say an agricultural live axle rough as guts sohc coon runs Jag running gear is a bit of a slap in the face lol.
At the same time if the AUs had Jag running gear there would be a handful used as taxis, not thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i lol'd
so accurate

Never truer words spoken about my baby !!!

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post