Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aftermarket ECU into an AU

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone had successfully installed an aftermarket ECU into an AU Falcon and had it correctly communicating with the BEM and dash and all that so things work more or less 'as normal'.

I'm specifically interested in hearing about anyone with a MoTeC in an XR8.

...and before any claims of illegality, I've read the NSW Clean Air Act 2010 and it does NOT forbid aftermarket ECUs.

Thanks.

madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Aftermarket ECU into an AU

What are you actually doing that requires one? The standard one is capable of going a very long way with good tuning.
Old 23-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just exploring all the possibilities. Would like to use low impedance injectors and log a variety of sensors. I've had plenty of experience with the MoTeC on the uni racing car and they make very powerful stuff that can do all sorts of logging too. That'd be ideal...

The idea is straight injected LPG on something along the lines of a 347 stroker. I am aware of the difficulties in liquid LPG but have devised several legal ways of overcoming them if that were to be the path of choice. Only problem is they'd need aftermarket computer to run them.
Old 23-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also wideband lambda would be great and I know the EECV can't do that.

Last edited by madmelon; 23-10-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

It can do wideband with Binary Editor software and a Moates Quarterhorse.
There's a few of us already doing it. But if you are already well familiarized with Motec gear, then you have more than one option.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so that fixes that problem, what about the low impedance injectors? Or can I get a driver box for them?
...MoTeC can also do launch and traction control- I know EECV can do traction with the right ABS setup but can it be done with just fuel or ignition cut and ignore ABS?

Last edited by madmelon; 23-10-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 27-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...so nobody has done this!?
Old 27-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a wolf V500 in my AU that has replaced the stock ECU. Aircon, dash, BTR auto all work as normal. It plugs into the stock ECU plug so it can be removed and a stock ECU can be fitted and running in about 30 seconds.

Its a 6 cylinder turbo but I'm sure it can be done for a V8.

It does logging and has a wideband connected up via a techedge.

I don't have traction control and the ABS is controlled separately with the standard gear.

Check www.wolfems.com.au
Old 27-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strictly speaking you are correct here but try to set up an after market ECU to comply with all the required standards and you may find yourself facing a nightmare. interfacing with BEM etc may prove to be your biggest problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
...and before any claims of illegality, I've read the NSW Clean Air Act 2010 and it does NOT forbid aftermarket ECUs.

Thanks.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
Strictly speaking you are correct here but try to set up an after market ECU to comply with all the required standards and you may find yourself facing a nightmare. interfacing with BEM etc may prove to be your biggest problem
Already know many of the tricks with Motec as I use it regularly and have been for 5 years. Also, 5 guys on my racing team have done the full Motec course. One is a professional tuner (Honda) and has just set up his Integra with a standalone and gone through complete engineering including emissions.

It would be great if I could do with the M800 what is done with the Wolf but I suspect it'd be a lot of mucking around as the Wolf comes pre-made to suit the 6 cyl Falcon. I've emailed Wolf and await their reply...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SO Motec people have suggested piggybacking an M800 onto the factory ECU. Has anyone tried this or similar with another ECU?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know it`s a different car , but my young brother has fitted and tuned a motec to his v8 soarer, he`s fitted it in such a way that he can simply unplug it and replug the factory ecu in should the need arise, surely the same could be done with the AU?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Soarer is a much older car, I'm not sure its vehicle security system would be integrated the same way as the Falcon's is. Ideally, that's what I'd do but not sure how the ECU, dash and BEM communicate with each other.

It would seem that my choices are either forego the well integrated factory setup or deal with not having the tuning options I want.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you are correct , i asked my brother about the security thing on his 97soarer , he thinks they are separate, sorry mate, i know zip about this electronic stuff, there must be some other forum guys with au equipped motecs you could chat too , i`m pretty sure one of the te50 owners had(a moderator) had a moteced au, can`t for the life of me think of his name, the car is in my head though .
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

you can piggyback psi pop ed is setup that way. The wolf controls everything yet the stock still receives signals so everything operates as per normal
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't had anything back from Wolf Yet- almost a week. Motec said to just get the wiring diagrams for the vehicle (which I have, thanks to service manual and this forum) and make a loom. Problem is, that doesn't tell me what if any sort of code the Motec needs to send to the BEM to disable the security and how to program that into the ECU...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
you are correct , i asked my brother about the security thing on his 97soarer , he thinks they are separate, sorry mate, i know zip about this electronic stuff, there must be some other forum guys with au equipped motecs you could chat too , i`m pretty sure one of the te50 owners had(a moderator) had a moteced au, can`t for the life of me think of his name, the car is in my head though .
Laminge (Gary) had a Motec on his TS50 which was far from stock. In the end the Motec was one of many dramas he had with it and it was the main reason the car was not road registerable.

With the advances in tuning nowadays though Minge's car would have been able to run everything it had back then with a simple flash tune.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You dont need to worry about the BEM or security when you piggy back the ECU.

Just make sure the right sensors are being used so the dash works.

Flash tunes on pre BA's arent as good imo.

Last edited by dansedgli; 04-11-2011 at 09:55 PM.
dansedgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can piggyback the Motec to work alongside the factory ECU, Leon at A1 Hi Performance did this 10 years ago with his TE50. From what I remember you need to keep the factory computer in the car to run everything but the engine, some sensors are doubled up to allow everything to work, including the smartlock and cruise control.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Laminge (Gary) had a Motec on his TS50 which was far from stock. In the end the Motec was one of many dramas he had with it and it was the main reason the car was not road registerable.

With the advances in tuning nowadays though Minge's car would have been able to run everything it had back then with a simple flash tune.
your the man heheh, yes it was the minginator , thanks for clarifying/refreshing my memory, my old age/dementia is catching up
Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP
You can piggyback the Motec to work alongside the factory ECU, Leon at A1 Hi Performance did this 10 years ago with his TE50. From what I remember you need to keep the factory computer in the car to run everything but the engine, some sensors are doubled up to allow everything to work, including the smartlock and cruise control.
I was thinking this the other day. If the ECU was simply present to allow smartlock and cruise control, I could just re-route all the other stuff into the Motec.

Does anyone know what sensors are required for those two functions?