Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Red face mechanical injection on v8 au?

I couldn't think of the right place to ask, but does anyone think i could use mechanical injection on an au v8 and pass a rwc or pitts or what ever? my ute isn't registered so it will have to go for a rwc and maybe over the pits as it was defected before i let the rego run out so i don't know if i can just get a rwc. anyway i'm sick of efi and would rather a carbie but i know thats a no go so i'm looking at mechanical injection does anyone know if this would be allowed? if not it will be alot of stuffing around putting the injected motor back in to pass then pull it back out after but i will if i have to. It will be a weekender and drag car and efi doesn't fit in to my setup and i want to paint it soon and don't want to be pulling motors in and out. any help would be great thanks.

blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 
Default Re: mechanical injection on v8 au?

You'd probably have to get it emissions tested. Why would you want mechanical injection?? Apart from the difficulty of finding somewhere to mount the pump and something to drive it off, you have to work out your metering rate, set up your needles, make the injectors fit, etc.
What's so bad about the efi? Particularly if you want to make peak power, efi gives you much better options for fuel control, etc...
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

If it's needing RWC, and a defect cleared, and is blown... I suggest you're going to need to have it engineered, I would be talking to an engineer before going any further.. I would suggest that emissions testing will be required for engineering..
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt you would get it past emissions testing . why would you want to go back to such ancient technology anyhow. EFI will give you better power and still pass emmisions testing.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What's the problem with EFI? It's more than capable of handling most set ups so long as it is set up right.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

It'not charged anymore that motor is in my eb. i'm building a 427 dart with chi heads for the au and i'm after a clean and pretty much wireless engine bay. getting a cam sync for the 9.5 block has been fruitless so i'd pretty much have to go aftermarket anyway. its only going to be driven every now and then and draged. mechanical injection or a carbie is something i can setup and play with unlike efi and have alot less things that can go wrong. i'm looking at doing things a bit different to other people. this car is not going to be a dayly or doing traffic crawls or such stuff, its being built as a drag car that can be driven on the street. i was going to leave it unregisted thats why i didn't clear the defect but i miss driving it hence the new plan. sounds like i need to throw a motor back in it and get regoed and cleared if need be and change it out after, just bit more stuffing around. thanks all.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Having a 427 in it, a carby passing an inspection will be the least of your issues I suspect.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
It'not charged anymore that motor is in my eb. i'm building a 427 dart with chi heads for the au and i'm after a clean and pretty much wireless engine bay. getting a cam sync for the 9.5 block has been fruitless so i'd pretty much have to go aftermarket anyway. its only going to be driven every now and then and draged. mechanical injection or a carbie is something i can setup and play with unlike efi and have alot less things that can go wrong. i'm looking at doing things a bit different to other people. this car is not going to be a dayly or doing traffic crawls or such stuff, its being built as a drag car that can be driven on the street. i was going to leave it unregisted thats why i didn't clear the defect but i miss driving it hence the new plan. sounds like i need to throw a motor back in it and get regoed and cleared if need be and change it out after, just bit more stuffing around. thanks all.
Does not having insurance worry you ?

Its not worth having illegal mods on any vehicle these days because the cops just wait at the gates of some drag racing venues and defect you as you leave.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

With what you plan, i probably wouldn't bother registering it - it'll end up costing more than buying a licenced daily driver PLUS car trailer!