Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #1
mickyj

Default Focus 2012

Seems the computer might be playing up again . Yesterday my fuel level on the computer said over 1800 Ks the normal gauge used a 1/4 tank
Still the same this morning drove the focus come home computer reading says 11.7 Ks gauge says I’ve used just over a 1/4 of the tank .
I’ll keep an eye on it last time the battery went then I had the computer saying transmission issues .
mickyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Focus 2012

the car used different voltages to send messages to the computer. if your battery is sick that may be the problem
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #3
mickyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
the car used different voltages to send messages to the computer. if your battery is sick that may be the problem
If it dies I’ll call the RAA again get a new battery again
Dealer wasn’t much help last time put the battery on charge for a week found nothing wrong .
So battery now is probably 12 months old last 3 months
Old 17-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #4
mickyj

Ok my 2012 focus some drives it’s fine some it does what it was doing last time I had issues
So it’s booked in at the ford dealership for its 165’000 service it’s fine over 100’000 less
They have quoted me price for service I said please test the battery if it needs to be replaced call me and then replace it
Last time these issues occurred they blamed the battery which was 3 months old at the time
Not waiting until it totally stuffs up again and the dealership holds the car for a week then says we’ve charged the battery and it’s fine
So a year later issues back
Old 17-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
mickyj

Ok got the call from the dealership service done no issues and battery is fine ��*♂️
This service last year they said battery was bad now same battery it’s good ��*♂️
Old 02-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #6
mickyj

Ok the focus was serviced at the dealer on the 16th January this year . Dealer told me no issues I explained what’s been going on issues and your battery is fine
Had an appointment this morning leave get into my focus reverse it and huge noise and up comes transmission need’s service .
So somehow I made it home engine was reviving loudly even doing 40 in the side streets
Called the RAA explained everything including it happened 3 months after they replaced the battery first time . Including the ford dealer kept the car for a week said nothing wrong excluding the battery they charged for a week .
So RAA no this battery could be under warranty damned if I’m taking it to the dealer for a week and told no issue
Ok rant over I’ll post what happens
Old 02-02-2023, 01:50 PM   #7
mickyj

Ok update RAA said it’s not the battery transmission needs to be fixed . Told RAA what Maughan Thiem said he suggested try another ford dealer . So the third one is looking at it next Wednesday first 2 dealers said middle of March . RAA will tow it have call them Wednesday 2 hours before to do it . So 7 am Wednesday morning I’ll call them
Old 02-02-2023, 10:38 PM   #8
Zaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyj View Post
Ok update RAA said it’s not the battery transmission needs to be fixed . Told RAA what Maughan Thiem said he suggested try another ford dealer . So the third one is looking at it next Wednesday first 2 dealers said middle of March . RAA will tow it have call them Wednesday 2 hours before to do it . So 7 am Wednesday morning I’ll call them
Do you have a check engine light with all these issues?
Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
mickyj

Ok Ford dealer called me $190 an hour to look at it . Will call me tomorrow and say what they’ve found . Told them everything it’s doing and what the other dealer said . Told them transmission had been replaced twice by dealer as it was recalled . I suggested if it’s the transmission it should be under warranty. That didn’t go down to well but they will see . Also mentioned the computer said I had 1’800 Ks left in the tank next day 1 then it went up . Got told tank doesn’t hold that much said yep I know and fuel gauge showed a 1/4 tank used .
Old 08-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #10
mickyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
Do you have a check engine light with all these issues?
All I can tell you is it did it this morning again being driven onto the tow truck
Computer screen beeps and flashes auto transmission needs service now with a red I
That’s all I can say
I’ve mentioned it constantly
Engine revs loudly when driving 40 or 60 Ks an hour ( some areas here it’s 40)
Engine revs loudly at traffic lights stop signs ect and doesn’t want to stay still a few times it’s gone towards the car in front
When it had its last service January 16 waiting in line it was revving loudly
I told them this . Dealer serviced the car told me no issues and battery as good last year same battery they said was bad 🤷*♂️

I don’t know what more I can say I can’t trade a car in if I wanted to that’s screaming out transmission needs servicing now . Auto transmission shops won’t touch tell me dealers have the parts and dealer blames battery what am I supposed to do

I’ve owned a few cars some bad lemons but they were never this bad
RAA guy told me a car this age hadn’t done enough Ks
Old 08-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #11
Zaki

Quote:
All I can tell you is it did it this morning again being driven onto the tow truck
Computer screen beeps and flashes auto transmission needs service now with a red I
That’s all I can say
I’ve mentioned it constantly
Engine revs loudly when driving 40 or 60 Ks an hour ( some areas here it’s 40)
Engine revs loudly at traffic lights stop signs ect and doesn’t want to stay still a few times it’s gone towards the car in front
When it had its last service January 16 waiting in line it was revving loudly
I told them this . Dealer serviced the car told me no issues and battery as good last year same battery they said was bad ��*♂️

I don’t know what more I can say I can’t trade a car in if I wanted to that’s screaming out transmission needs servicing now . Auto transmission shops won’t touch tell me dealers have the parts and dealer blames battery what am I supposed to do

I’ve owned a few cars some bad lemons but they were never this bad
Some of the things you say don't add up. e.g.
Quote:
a few times it’s gone towards the car in front
your transmission is a dual clutch transmission. It won't engage into gear unless you release the brakes regardless of how much the engine is revving.

you mentioned in your initial posts
Quote:
So it’s booked in at the ford dealership for its 165’000 service
and then you went on to say
Quote:
165k is good enough Ks, enough to end the life of clutches on this car, which may explain your revving but doesn't make sense why would RAA say that

you also mentioned
Quote:
Engine revs loudly when driving 40 or 60 Ks an hour
is it because it loses gear or does it rev even if you release the accelerator?
Old 08-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #12
mickyj

Quote:
Some of the things you say don't add up. e.g. your transmission is a dual clutch transmission. It won't engage into gear unless you release the brakes regardless of how much the engine is revving.

you mentioned in your initial posts and then you went on to say 165k is good enough Ks, enough to end the life of clutches on this car, which may explain your revving but doesn't make sense why would RAA say that

you also mentioned is it because it loses gear or does it rev even if you release the accelerator?
Ok car is from 2012 dealer does a 12 month service they said it’s 165’000 service
Car says it’s just reached 61’000 kms
What’s your point
It has done to me and my son in his 30s what I’ve DESCRIBED it’s done it to 2 adult males!
Yes it revs when your driving normally
I live in Adelaide depends which suburb main roads are 60 to 80 Ks
Side streets are either 40 or 50 Ks
I’m not mechanical I told you the truth I sat in line waiting for the dealer to accept it to be serviced . I’ve waited at traffic lights it revs by itself and moves forward foot on brake
I don’t know what else I can say it’s doing all these things
Plus Ford recalled this focus for transmission to be replaced twice and it’s been replaced twice .
So why with the car computer screen saying transmission service now do a dealers mechanic say it’s the 3 month old battery . Now that was in 2022 car was fine again until 2 or 3 weeks before it’s scheduled Service January 16 2023 I explained again what was going on I asked please check the battery .
Dealers reply after service
It’s fine no issues battery is fine same battery the dealer said was not good .
So that was January 16 2023 last Thursday it did it again on the computer screen auto transmission service now
What the heck do I do no auto transmission place will touch it they’ve told me to take it to the dealer . And the dealer blames a battery that the RAA tested twice Thursday it’s fine
So what can I do I’m not lying
Old 08-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #13
mickyj

Quote:
Ok car is from 2012 dealer does a 12 month service they said it’s 165’000 service
Car says it’s just reached 61’000 kms
What’s your point
It has done to me and my son in his 30s what I’ve DESCRIBED it’s done it to 2 adult males!
Yes it revs when your driving normally
I live in Adelaide depends which suburb main roads are 60 to 80 Ks
Side streets are either 40 or 50 Ks
I’m not mechanical I told you the truth I sat in line waiting for the dealer to accept it to be serviced . I’ve waited at traffic lights it revs by itself and moves forward foot on brake
I don’t know what else I can say it’s doing all these things
Plus Ford recalled this focus for transmission to be replaced twice and it’s been replaced twice .
So why with the car computer screen saying transmission service now do a dealers mechanic say it’s the 3 month old battery . Now that was in 2022 car was fine again until 2 or 3 weeks before it’s scheduled Service January 16 2023 I explained again what was going on I asked please check the battery .
Dealers reply after service
It’s fine no issues battery is fine same battery the dealer said was not good .
So that was January 16 2023 last Thursday it did it again on the computer screen auto transmission service now
What the heck do I do no auto transmission place will touch it they’ve told me to take it to the dealer . And the dealer blames a battery that the RAA tested twice Thursday it’s fine
So what can I do I’m not lying
And the RAA man said he guessed the dealer was fobbing me off or owners off until they traded up the vehicle. But it was his opinion or guess.
He also said the focus has not done much KMs since 2012 my Elderly father didn’t drive it very often before he went into care and passed away .
I have been driving this car daily I also have a Mitsubishi lancer done double the Ks and nowhere near the issues this car has
You’ll can say it can’t do what I’ve said it does
Old 08-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #14
mickyj

Now honestly if im wrong why does the car say automatic transmission need’s service now with a big I
And why do transmission shops refuse to look at the focus
And why are they known according to google to have major issues
Old 08-02-2023, 02:28 PM   #15
Zaki

Quote:
Now honestly if im wrong why does the car say automatic transmission need’s service now with a big I
And why do transmission shops refuse to look at the focus
And why are they known according to google to have major issues
If your car says transmission needs service then definitely the problem is with transmission. It also means that you the TCM is registering a fault code . You need to know what that fault code is and you can go from there onwards. If its a circuit based fault, then it's most likely the TCM.
There are multiple items in this transmission that can go bad and replacing the whole transmission is not a good approach. I'm pretty sure that previously ford just changed your TCMs as that was the only thing in recall apart from a few minor things..
Old 08-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #16
mickyj

Quote:
If your car says transmission needs service then definitely the problem is with transmission. It also means that you the TCM is registering a fault code . You need to know what that fault code is and you can go from there onwards. If its a circuit based fault, then it's most likely the TCM.
There are multiple items in this transmission that can go bad and replacing the whole transmission is not a good approach. I'm pretty sure that previously ford just changed your TCMs as that was the only thing in recall apart from a few minor things..
Yet the Ford dealer that sold my dad the car back in 2012 are saying there’s no issue . And a few months later it does the same thing what am I supposed to do transmission experts refuse to look at the car . Hence it’s at a Ford dealers not the one who services it
Your still not saying how I do what your saying when experts either say no issue or only Ford can fix it and so far Ford are saying there’s no issue
Old 08-02-2023, 03:57 PM   #17
Zaki

Quote:
Yet the Ford dealer that sold my dad the car back in 2012 are saying there’s no issue . And a few months later it does the same thing what am I supposed to do transmission experts refuse to look at the car . Hence it’s at a Ford dealers not the one who services it
Your still not saying how I do what your saying when experts either say no issue or only Ford can fix it and so far Ford are saying there’s no issue
Ok, i got you are saying.
You need to ask any mechanic to attach a diagnostic scanner to the car and give you a list of all the error codes that the TCM and ECU/PCM is showing. Make sure to run it when the car is showing transmission fault. Once you have the fault codes, you can google them or share on this forum for further discussion. But this is the step 0.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:13 PM   #18
mickyj

Quote:
Ok, i got you are saying.
You need to ask any mechanic to attach a diagnostic scanner to the car and give you a list of all the error codes that the TCM and ECU/PCM is showing. Make sure to run it when the car is showing transmission fault. Once you have the fault codes, you can google them or share on this forum for further discussion. But this is the step 0.
Well it’s a Ford dealership in Adelaide doing a diagnostic on it hopefully that shows up something . First Ford dealership found nothing wrong with it
Old 08-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #19
Zaki

Quote:
Well it’s a Ford dealership in Adelaide doing a diagnostic on it hopefully that shows up something . First Ford dealership found nothing wrong with it
given your cars history, i'm pretty sure its the TCM but lets see what they come back with. best of luck.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #20
mickyj

Quote:
given your cars history, i'm pretty sure its the TCM but lets see what they come back with. best of luck.
Thanks I think changing dealerships for this might help
When the first dealership looked at it they held it for a month before they could look at it then charged the battery for a week . This time I was told to try another dealership so it was last Thursday so first 2 told me middle of March third one said today . They’ve called me said $190 an hour I may hear tomorrow according to the tech they close at 5 pm so not today
Old 09-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #21
mickyj

Ok Ford dealer just called me haven’t looked at the focus today maybe tomorrow their words
Old 09-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #22
Zaki

Quote:
Ok Ford dealer just called me haven’t looked at the focus today maybe tomorrow their words
fingers crossed.. Hope it plays well for you.
Old 09-02-2023, 03:19 PM   #23
mickyj

Quote:
fingers crossed.. Hope it plays well for you.
Thanks I don’t know what to do
When this first happened last year that Ford dealer held the focus for a month then charged the battery for a week
Will this dealer do the same

Starting to wish when it was parked out the front of my home it should’ve been stolen ! Paperwork with police and insurance company might have been easier . I’m joking by the way
Old 09-02-2023, 03:33 PM   #24
Zaki

Quote:
Thanks I don’t know what to do
When this first happened last year that Ford dealer held the focus for a month then charged the battery for a week
Will this dealer do the same

Starting to wish when it was parked out the front of my home it should’ve been stolen ! Paperwork with police and insurance company might have been easier . I’m joking by the way
Well, we can't control our wishes right .. haha..
Mine is a 2013 and is currently with a Ford dealer. This is 4th week and counting. It's waiting for a TCM shipment from overseas which may take months. If it wasn't in warranty, i would've gone for a Dorman TCM which apparently is quite reliable as compared to the ford TCM. Infact it is a ford TCM that's been re-soldered for better reliability. If yours turn out to be the TCM, you can probably check out the upullit yards (a few focuses they have in stock) or order a dorman from overseas.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:37 PM   #25
mickyj

Quote:
Mine is a 2013 and is currently with a Ford dealer. This is 4th week and counting. It's waiting for a TCM shipment from overseas which may take months. If it wasn't in warranty, i would've gone for a Dorman TCM which apparently is quite reliable as compared to the ford TCM. Infact it is a ford TCM that's been re-soldered for better reliability. If yours turn out to be the TCM, you can probably check out the upullit yards (a few focuses they have in stock) or order a dorman from overseas.
Thanks for the info should still be in warranty I think
Old 10-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #26
mickyj

Ok car needs a new TCM including the diagnostic going to cost $1295
And take weeks for the part to arrive
Old 10-02-2023, 06:19 PM   #27
mickyj

Quote:
You were correct it needs a TCM take weeks to arrive
Old 10-02-2023, 06:58 PM   #28
Zaki

Quote:
You were correct it needs a TCM take weeks to arrive
Months not weeks. Will be fixed Under warranty? Oh 1295 so why don't you try a used TCM. If U can find one in u-pull-it yards, it's gonna cost you 50 only
Old 10-02-2023, 07:25 PM   #29
mickyj

Quote:
Months not weeks. Will be fixed Under warranty? Oh 1295 so why don't you try a used TCM. If U can find one in u-pull-it yards, it's gonna cost you 50 only
Not under warranty if dealer one had found the issue last year it would’ve been under warranty. I’ll wait and let Ford fix it . Mind you in January when it’s next service is due I may not take it to a dealer have to think about that .
Ok guy called me and seemed surprised I wanted it replaced not certain what he expected . $1295 to replace and fix it or around 18’000 to 30’000 for a second hand car . I checked car dealers one had a few fire focus for sale thought not again
Old 10-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #30
mickyj

Quote:
Like I said dealer 1 had the vehicle for a month and said they found nothing except the battery which was 3 months old needed to be replaced they charged it for a week . At least dealer number 2 actually did the diagnostic test 1 could not have .
Dealer 1 got me first time I took it to be serviced you need new tyres . Second time got a email just before you need new tyres once serviced your tyres are fine . This service hello no issues after I explained what I wrote above I got it’s fine but next service you’ll need new tyres .
Seems dealer 1 is only interested it getting money for new tyres not the TCM issues