Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Barra 190, The smartest engine Australia has ever produced.

SMART TECHNOLOGY SPEARHEADS FORD ENGINE LINE-UP
We've taken the most technologically advanced six-cylinder engine we had ever produced
and made it even better. It's now a smarter design in every key area – technology,
performance, refinement, fuel economy and emissions.
– Trevor Worthington, Product and Development Vice President, Ford Australia
Ford Australia has introduced a series of upgrades to the engine line-up that will power
the BF Falcon and SY Territory range.
“The new Falcon and Territory will boast an engine line-up offering
the latest technology, providing customers with substantial
improvements in fuel economy, increased performance and greatly
improved levels of refinement,” said Ford Australia Product and
Development Vice President Trevor Worthington.
“The addition of dual independent variable camshaft timing and dual
knock sensors keeps the engine powering the new vehicles at the
forefront of automotive technology.
“Customers will notice the gains from the minute they turn the key
with greater refinement, extra performance each time they press the
accelerator, and most importantly, see improvements in fuel economy
for all petrol versions each time they fill up their vehicle.”
Worthington said the engine improvements were driven by feedback
from customers looking for an improvement in fuel economy but,
importantly, not at any cost to the levels of power and refinement
they were used to.

“With the introduction of this new engine programme, Ford Australia is providing customers
with the best of both worlds – more useable performance, cleaner emissions and increased
fuel economy for all petrol engines.
"This strategy has also helped us meet all the requirements of the stringent Euro III emissions
legislation which come into force on January 1, 2006.
“Working in combination with our new ZF six-speed automatic, revised Ion four-speed
automatic and the Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission, the BF Falcon and SY
Territory are truly world-class cars,” Worthington said.
Barra 190
The new Barra 190 spearheads the engine range, building on the strengths of the DOHC inline
six first seen in the BA Falcon released in 2002.
The Barra 190 adds to that critically acclaimed engine with a superb combination of power,
torque, refinement and fuel economy.
“The changes implemented in the program mean the Barra 190 is the best in-line six cylinder
engine Ford Australia has produced and one that ranks with the best I6 engines in the world,”
Engine Design Supervisor Colin Reddington said.
“With the Barra 190, customers will have access to the inherent smoothness only an in-line
six can provide with an abundance of torque, the refinement of a state of the art double
overhead camshaft design and greatly improved levels of fuel economy.
“The Barra 190 really has everything in terms of technology and features: double overhead
cams, 24 valves, increased compression ratio for a more fuel efficient burn, dual independent
variable camshaft timing. It's got all the features you’d want in a top of the line engine,” he
said. Reddington said the engine team was excited by the possibilities brought about by the
inclusion of the latest generation dual independent variable camshaft timing.
“We had twin VCT phasers in the BA Falcon, which was an excellent platform for this
program. In the Barra 190 each phaser can rotate each camshaft independently to maximize
power, torque and fuel economy.”
Dual independent VCT delivers a significant low speed torque enhancement and sustains it
throughout the engine speed range.
“In addition to the improved performance across a broad rev range, there is a noticeable
decrease in fuel consumption, especially at part throttle.
“At cruise on the highway, where throttle openings are reduced, the system is able to retard
the timing by as much as 50 degrees.
“The VCT phasers also retard the camshaft angle at part throttle loads and advance the angle
for higher loads, or under wide open throttle applications.
“This optimises the cam timing for the range of engine conditions enabling maximum low
speed torque and best high rpm power.
“This cuts fuel consumption as well as providing internal exhaust gas recirculation that helps
lower tailpipe emissions,” he said.
At idle, the intake camshaft is retarded by 18 degrees for improved combustion stability
providing smoother running.
“Traditionally, four-valve engines demonstrate a strong top end but can suffer from a weak
bottom end. Thanks to the dual independent VCT system and a well proven variable intake
system the new engine provides purposeful torque from very low revs.”
He said the transition through the advance/retard range was seamless, unlike some less
advanced systems where there is a noticeable switch point. The amount of adjustment is determined by comparing the position of the camshaft with a
pre-mapped calibration.
Each camshaft on the I6 engine is fitted with a camshaft phaser that allows up to 60-degrees
of variation, depending on engine load and speed.
"From the pin-lock position we are able to advance 10 degrees and retard up to 50 degrees.
The variation is achieved via oil-pressure acting against the phaser," Reddington said.
An oil control valve directing oil pressure to each cam phaser is located to provide an
immediate and reliable response. Both control valves are activated simultaneously by
impulses received from the Powertrain Control Module.
Mounting the oil control valve within the cylinder head assembly removes the need for
separate oil ways and offers greater durability and reliability, as well as packaging
efficiencies and weight savings.
To ensure perfect seating of the camshafts, four oil control galley plates are bolted to the top
of the cylinder head before the galleys for the camshafts are bored. The front two house the
oil control valves.
Each of the four galley plates is unique so they cannot be mismatched during in-field service.
The galley plates locate on dowels sunk into the head for perfect positioning every time.
“What it means for the customer is instant power when you need it, combined with a
noticeable improvement in fuel economy.”

Compression ratio increase / Dual knock sensors
Adding a second knock sensor to all I6 engines enabled engineers to deliver fuel economy
benefits by taking advantage of an increased compression ratio.
The upgraded I6 engine features an increased compression ratio for improved power and
better fuel economy. “The new pistons feature a revised crown profile, which delivers a compression ratio increase
from 9.7:1 to 10.3:1 on the base I6 petrol engine.
"The pistons are also stiffer and feature a new pin bore which improves refinement, while
retaining the high durability levels Ford engines are renowned for," said Reddington.
“Dual knock sensors provided the foundation for a strategy change which enables the
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to optimise the ignition timing for each individual
cylinder.
“This has resulted in improved engine performance via more accurate spark control,
improvements in fuel economy and improved levels of powertrain refinement.”
Reddington explained four modes of spark control were employed in the engine programme.
Individual / averaged spark correction is a performance mode which uses 50 per cent of the
individual cylinder correction and 50 per cent of engine average spark correction. This gives
a more consistent performance for a fast revving engine under heavy loads.
“Individual fast only spark correction reacts to detonation noise and retards the spark for the
next firing event on the same cylinder. This mode provides optimum fuel efficiency because
spark is only retarded when detonation is ‘heard’ by the system.
“Individual slow / fast spark correction is applied in addition to the fast only mode. Slow
correction remembers the spark advance used on previous events and is slowly removed if
knock is not detected for a few seconds, adding to the refinement levels of the engine.
“The fourth mode is no spark correction, used at low engine loads where detonation is not
possible. As a result, no spark correction is applied and the engine runs at the optimum
spark timing.” While the engine is calibrated to deliver benefits for all types of petrol users, Reddington said
the addition of a second knock sensor meant customers could obtain further performance and
economy benefits from using premium unleaded fuel (95 RON).

Ignition system
All Ford I6 engines in the programme – Barra 190, Barra 245T and
Barra E-Gas – include an ignition system featuring adaptive and
variable dwell enabling more efficient ignition control across the
speed / load range.
“Adaptive dwell takes account of the battery voltage and temperature
of the coil windings in the ignition system, ensuring a reliable,
repeatable charge.
“The variable dwell delivers maximum coil energy when required
voltage is high – under heavy acceleration for example – and
minimum coil energy when the engine is cruising, or at idle.”
Reddington said the I6 engines also featured the latest in spark plug technology.
“Spark plugs in all I6 engines now have a 0.5mm finewire centre electrode – the smallest
available –and platinum pad ground electrodes.
“They have been optimised for idle stability and help prevent misfire at high time in service
in every one of the I6 engine line-up.”
Camshafts
Reddington said every I6 engine in the programme had benefited from revised camshafts.
“The profiles have been specifically selected to work with the dual independent VCT strategy
and provide optimum performance for customers.

Camshafts
Reddington said every I6 engine in the programme had benefited from revised camshafts.
“The profiles have been specifically selected to work with the dual independent VCT strategy
and provide optimum performance for customers. “We worked closely with powertrain engineers in Ford US, who helped with advanced CAE
techniques to define the optimum cam durations. From this we devised specific profiles for
compatibility with our valvetrain.
“Those CAE models also helped us further refine the engine strategy.”
Reddington said exhaust duration on the Barra 190 was 256 degrees (246 at BA) and inlet
duration also 256 degrees (251 at BA).
“These new camshaft profiles will benefit the customer in terms of cleaner, smoother power
delivery and increased fuel economy.”

Refinement / economy

Reddington explained two key factors driving the engine upgrades were to improve
refinement and fuel economy.
“We have incorporated a number of measures which specifically target those key areas.”
The Barra 190 will use a new lower viscosity engine oil, changing from a 10W30 GF2 to a
new 5W30 GF3 for less friction and improved fuel economy, particularly at lower engine
operating temperatures.
The I6 air intake system has been significantly revised resulting in lower overall noise levels,
as well as a purer engine tone during acceleration.
Power steering pumps have been revised by optimising fluid flow discharge timing, further
improving the refinement levels of the I6 engines.
“We have also incorporated a new ‘smart’ alternator on all I6 engines, which ramps voltage
changes smoothly, making a smoother idle easier to control.

Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Just when you think they can't get much better ehh......i wonder how the new camshaft setup will work with the turbo's, even more efficiency/power i reckon.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Good to see a lot of work going into the excellent platform that is a I6 motor.

I wonder how long until we see a revised bore/stroke arrangement or an alloy casting? Many years off i'd suggest...
Old 17-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven it and it's a fantastic engine, much better than the BA engine.

It's amazing that this is going to be Ford's base engine.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

yeah 190kw is a fairly powerful base engine, my BA goes really well (even scares a few V8's) and the BF is even better, this should be a great engine in another great car
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Interesting read...

I6 is looking the goods, shame that the 8 is lacking in upgrades....

Next time...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

Wonder how easy is it to swap out a BA engine for one of these babies...
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there isn't a lot different to the Barra 182. An extra knock sensor, an alternator which doesn't drain as much power, and the variable valve timing is continually variable rather than just a switch - that should be no more than a computer upgrade I think? Does anyone know what can be retro-fitted? Ditto the 6 speed auto??
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

now i just need to justify trading in the BA xr6 for the BF XR6t...
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
Well there isn't a lot different to the Barra 182. An extra knock sensor, an alternator which doesn't drain as much power, and the variable valve timing is continually variable rather than just a switch - that should be no more than a computer upgrade I think? Does anyone know what can be retro-fitted? Ditto the 6 speed auto??
The BA ECU is an all in one trans computer and ecu, so a 6 speed auto I am sure has more wires (more solenoids) to control it, so I dont think a simple plug and play will be possible, also the 6 speed auto is not an option its a standard to further suggest what I think is correct. The engine bay loom will also have the extra wires for the 2nd knock and cam timing, so all in all, unless the BA ecu has alot of empty pins, it would point to a whole new ECU plug, otherwise I would guess alot of extra adding of wires, to get the engine or gearbox up and running.

Having said all that, if I had a BA and the money, I would certainly attempt it

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey not only is the barra 190 the smartest engine Australia has ever produced. But your post is the longest that has ever been posted on AFF...

Just being cheaky.... However it is very good news for the loyal ford supporters.....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 18-10-2005 at 10:52 PM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #12
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

Hopefully the tuners will suck the tune out for the VCT's so that they can be used with the BA engine
Old 18-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
The BA ECU is an all in one trans computer and ecu, so a 6 speed auto I am sure has more wires (more solenoids) to control it, so I dont think a simple plug and play will be possible, also the 6 speed auto is not an option its a standard to further suggest what I think is correct. The engine bay loom will also have the extra wires for the 2nd knock and cam timing, so all in all, unless the BA ecu has alot of empty pins, it would point to a whole new ECU plug, otherwise I would guess alot of extra adding of wires, to get the engine or gearbox up and running.

Having said all that, if I had a BA and the money, I would certainly attempt it
Mate you'd attempt it with neither a BA nor money!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

There is a chat on MSN with the BF falcon engineers soon, I can post the link if you like. Any one interested in questioning the BF engineers directly???
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would you mind asking if the mods are easily retrofitted??

I am a shift worker, so it is unlikely I will be available at the correct time...
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #16
SSbaby
Banned

Yes but as Australia's smartest engine... is it smart enough to run direct injection (like the HFV6). ;)

I know, I'm a party pooper!

Last edited by SSbaby; 19-10-2005 at 04:42 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #17
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
There is a chat on MSN with the BF falcon engineers soon, I can post the link if you like. Any one interested in questioning the BF engineers directly???
When does this happen , how often ?
Old 19-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #18
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman
We've taken the most technologically advanced six-cylinder engine we had ever produced
I stopped reading there.

Seriously, why would a company say something like that when other manufacturers clearly have technology well beyond Ford engineerers? I mean come on, BMW's inline 6 produces double the power straight off the production line, and Honda have 4 cylinders producing more power, better economy and a much more refined and tuned engine.

I love my ford too, but I take it for what it is. It's a pov pack falcon. Not a highly refined piece of mechanical engineering.
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #19
rodderz

Yes but the quote says "We've taken the most technologically advanced six-cylinder engine we had ever produced"

Sure, there are lot better 4's and 6's out there but I thinlk they were referring to the aussie built versions and how they had improved it
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moya
Seriously, why would a company say something like that when other manufacturers clearly have technology well beyond Ford engineerers? I mean come on, BMW's inline 6 produces double the power straight off the production line,
If Ford priced their cars at the same price BMW does than you would expect more. You should be happy at the price it's sold at.
BMW would also have a larger budget to tweak their engines.

You get what you pay for. So it's pointless to compare the two cars as their in different classes. Some people cant justify paying so much for a car, when they would rather change into new models every 4-5 years.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moya
I stopped reading there.

Seriously, why would a company say something like that when other manufacturers clearly have technology well beyond Ford engineerers? I mean come on, BMW's inline 6 produces double the power straight off the production line, and Honda have 4 cylinders producing more power, better economy and a much more refined and tuned engine.

I love my ford too, but I take it for what it is. It's a pov pack falcon. Not a highly refined piece of mechanical engineering.
How many of them produce more torque...

NONE.

BMW M3 - which is their top of the line I6... 252kW at 7900rpm and 365NM at 5000rpm.

Honda's NSX - perhaps their most powerful engine overall.. 206kW at 7300rpm and 299Nm at 5300rpm.

Otherwise Honda S2000 - perhaps best kW per litre engine: 176 at 8300rpm and 208 at 7500rpm.

Notice one thing about all these engines? Friggin' high rev limiters. Notice something else about the cars? the cheapest is over $70,000 new.

So if you want to wring the neck of a car to get some good power - go and buy those... if you want a more flexible car, spend $35k and get yourself an XT.
Old 19-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #22
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Yes but as Australia's smartest engine... is it smart enough to run direct injection (like the HFV6). ;)

Always in hope of an arguement aren't we?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Direct injection is run of a seperate computer. Bosch have a system ready to go, it would have to be implemented and tested. I was reading about the system and it's funny that it uses PWM (pulse width modulation). That's not exacly CPU intensive!!
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #24
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

Look for what it is, as an inline 6 cyclinder; Ford has taken it into the next century with major improvements. Obviously it won't be refined as other manufacturers but these engines are tough as nails.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #25
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Hi Folks,

This is the link to the live chats with the people who designed the BF if you want to quiz them on the why's and where fors of the BF. There are several opportunities - check the link.

http://community.ninemsn.com.au/chat.../chatroom.aspx
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #26
BuuBox

Quote:
Look for what it is, as an inline 6 cyclinder; Ford has taken it into the next century with major improvements. Obviously it won't be refined as other manufacturers but these engines are tough as nails.
What's wrong with an inline six? The only benefit of a V6 is packaging, tied with a whole lot of compromises. If you want a severe example of these compromises, drive a 3.8 litre VN. An inline six is an inherently smoother, better balanced engine. I’ll admit the Ford is a relatively low revving engine, but then that’s not necessarily a bad thing in a modern 2000kg motorcar.

It’s certainty not the good old falcon 250 cross flow with a DOHC head…!
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #27
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Mate you'd attempt it with neither a BA nor money!
Thats beside the point, Barra 190 powered 6 speed auto EA .... :

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
There are many different parts, compression is higher etc. One program will not work with the other. With the 6 speed auto you would need a complete new wiring loom as its twice as big as the one on the BA, plus you need to change the heater tubes etc as it feeds coolant through the new trans cooler. Its not a case of just swapping bits, you would need a whole new engine, trans and ECU to do it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

The same engine that got bagged by every motoring journo in Oz for being no better than the boat anchor it replaced.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 10:24 PM   #30
xyute
A.k.a wolf159

Sorry ppl but your'e all wrong pre 1980 engines are alot smarter than the new stuff cause they didn't need a computer to tell them what to do.
:-))
xyute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post