Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
tomo
Starter Motor

Default Electrical leakage when rains

During the recent rainy days my cougar stuttered pretty seriously (twice). It seemed like some electrical problem. Spark plugs and wires are almost new. When I turned on the rear screen heater all the lights dimmed a bit. I noticed the right headlight bulb got burnt, I replaced it and 3 days later it was gone again. When it’s dry everything is fine. Any ideas what it could be?

tomo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
thearrow

Tomo.....straight to an auot electrician and get him to check it....something is wrong particulary if it is still doing it in the dry.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Sprocket3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo
During the recent rainy days my cougar stuttered pretty seriously (twice). It seemed like some electrical problem. Spark plugs and wires are almost new. When I turned on the rear screen heater all the lights dimmed a bit. I noticed the right headlight bulb got burnt, I replaced it and 3 days later it was gone again. When it’s dry everything is fine. Any ideas what it could be?
I would say you have a ground wire problem (bad earth) and your current isn't taking a direct route to ground, this culd be dirty plug sockets or even loose ground bolts.
Sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
tomo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket3
I would say you have a ground wire problem (bad earth) and your current isn't taking a direct route to ground, this culd be dirty plug sockets or even loose ground bolts.
Hmm... ground bolts you're saying. I'd like to check them out. Would you happen to know where they are located?
Old 18-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Sprocket3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo
Hmm... ground bolts you're saying. I'd like to check them out. Would you happen to know where they are located?
The main ones you could follow your earth wire from the battery to find the others all hook up in little plastic oblong shaped boxes usually with up to 8 black wires on a connecting strip, I'm sorry I don't have a diagram but I got complete diagram set for my probe from www.diacom.ru it is a russian site but they host mitchell wiring diagrams for all vehicles.
Old 18-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Sprocket3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket3
The main ones you could follow your earth wire from the battery to find the others all hook up in little plastic oblong shaped boxes usually with up to 8 black wires on a connecting strip, I'm sorry I don't have a diagram but I got complete diagram set for my probe from www.diacom.ru it is a russian site but they host mitchell wiring diagrams for all vehicles.
Sorry I didn't notice before you have a link to wiring diagrams in Cougar information and the edit option didn't display.
Old 18-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
tomo
Starter Motor

Any idea which one would be the one possibly causing the engine stutter? used:
Old 19-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Sprocket3
Starter Motor

Any ground wire from Ignition to motor and main earth from battery to motor Or motor to body. I would go to main ground to body 1st because you said you had a headlight problem as well.
Old 20-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
tomo
Starter Motor

Thanks a lot Sprocket, will have to check those.