Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 30-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #61
thearrow

The radiator light is a common problem with these cars and XR5-Boy is right the simple answer is to bridge the terminals. The only problem with this is that you will have to get in the habit of manually checking the coolant level.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #62
FumDuk

My Kitty has been going well... However, I've moved from Vic to QLD and turns out transferring the registration will be costly. In its past life my Cougar was smashed (I was pretty upset when I found out it was once a write off). Now to register it here I have to do a $500+ safety check (which must have been done previously in Vic to register it there after its crash) Grrr, what a pain in the ***. Thinking about driving it back to Vic and selling it on the cheap. The stupid check engine light is still on too, been to 4 mechanics who all say it has no error codes and it "must be fine". What do you guys think is a fair price to sell it for? She's up to 120,000 km's now, SW, manual and leather (heated seats are pretty useless up here lol).
Old 31-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #63
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow
The radiator light is a common problem with these cars and XR5-Boy is right the simple answer is to bridge the terminals. The only problem with this is that you will have to get in the habit of manually checking the coolant level.
And it should be a habit with any car, regardless of coolant sensors!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #64
REDDYZ

Quote:
If you are parking on a steep driveway it is probably causing fuel starvation to the fuel pump itself and it is probaly taking half a dozen turns of the motor to get the fuel up to the motor itself.

If it starts OK when it is on the flat then that is the answer.

If not......then you have problems.

In other news I have recently replaced my whole suspension (front & rear) because a front strut broke so now I am running Bilstein struts and Eibach springs. The car is a lot smoother now and handles well.

I got everything from here they were very helpful.

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/contou...pensionusa.htm

Now I am also having trouble with my ABS as it keeps lighting up all the time and staying on, my research tells me I might have a faulty sensor but have to do more checking on this yet. Actually my dash looks like a christmas tree some times with the check engine light (CEL) on all the time now (faulty sensor in the fluid resevoir) and the check brake light and the ABS light all on AT THE SAME TIME. Then what happens is the traction control light comes on and all the other lights go out except the CEL.

Apart from that no other real problems recently.

Will post some pics soon.

CYA Everybody.
I guess you have an Eibach right? Do these suit Eibach cougar specifications? coz Eibach suspension is lowered than normal Cougar. Also, I happened to buy a waterpump for $59. A good japanese made aftermatet one. Ford quoted $540, then $470 and finally said the best they can do is $434. Funny thing is I didnt bargain. What a ripoff.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #65
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hey all. I have a set of Bosch ignition leads and a set of 6 Bosch Platinum Fusion spark plugs for the Cougar. I didn't get around to installing these when i had mine. PM me if you want them. These aren't cheap normally, but I'm offering them $100 delivered.

Old 18-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #66
Kat*cougar*
Starter Motor

Hi There,

This is my first time on this forum so Help and advice is highly appreciated. I have a 2000 cougar which I love to bits. Parts and knowledge on this car has been far and few between for me to find. Can anyone pass on any places in Victoria which may have access to cougar parts.
I had a pretty unfortunate accident in mine and am considering selling it rather than fixing (parts being so rare.) either as a whole unit or have been advices to sell maybe as parts but is a huge job for me!
front is pretty damaged....any tips, advice or anything else would be greatly appreicated.
Cheers
Kat*cougar* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #67
01cougar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat*cougar*
Hi There,

This is my first time on this forum so Help and advice is highly appreciated. I have a 2000 cougar which I love to bits. Parts and knowledge on this car has been far and few between for me to find. Can anyone pass on any places in Victoria which may have access to cougar parts.
I had a pretty unfortunate accident in mine and am considering selling it rather than fixing (parts being so rare.) either as a whole unit or have been advices to sell maybe as parts but is a huge job for me!
front is pretty damaged....any tips, advice or anything else would be greatly appreicated.
Cheers
Hey
i bought my 01 cougar in june last year from coffey ford in dandenong. they told me that if i ever need any sort of part whether it be floor mats, body parts or engine parts, go to them and avoid paying too much!
hope this helps
01cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #68
thearrow

I had correspondence with KatCougar and regrettably her Cougar is a right off as she was more or less T-Boned at 90KMH so if anyone in Melbourne is looking for parts get in touch with her.

Yoga my Cougar is an Eibach and I did a lot of research BEFORE ordering my new struts and can advise that the standard KYB struts are NOT correct for an Eibach so that is why I ordered Bilsteins.

The next question of course is "Is there a difference" and really the Bilsteins are noticeably smoother. Can I still call mine an Eibach?? Yes, because I still have Eibach springs but Bilstein struts (a technicality I know).

Happy motoring everybody.
Old 21-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #69
01cougar
Starter Motor

Hey guys
just wondering (on average) how many kms should you get out of a tank in a 01 sx cougar auto. all the driving i do is inner city and peak hour traffic, so its stop start all the time. so i usually get about 330-360kms per tank...
Old 25-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #70
scout

Arrow could provide the part numbers for the bilstiens you used as mine are not as good as they could be. Did you purchase them in Australia???
Thanks
scout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #71
FumDuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01cougar
Hey guys
just wondering (on average) how many kms should you get out of a tank in a 01 sx cougar auto. all the driving i do is inner city and peak hour traffic, so its stop start all the time. so i usually get about 330-360kms per tank...
That seems like a lot of fuel, I can't comment on traffic as I live in a crappy country town, but I average between 500-550 per tank, oh and mines manual... Hmm, lol I'm not really much help sorry
Old 25-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #72
01cougar
Starter Motor

Quote:
That seems like a lot of fuel, I can't comment on traffic as I live in a crappy country town, but I average between 500-550 per tank, oh and mines manual... Hmm, lol I'm not really much help sorry
no probs. I dont seem to push it hard but it tells me im running at 13.4 litres per 100... i have a feeling that this isnt right... and ive reset it numerous times and it keeps on telling me the same... why is mine so different?
Old 25-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #73
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

My cougar used to gete 450-500 per tank (auto). Maybe it's time to check leads, plugs, fuel filter etc?

Old 26-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #74
thearrow

scout I ordered my struts from here http://www.ctamotorsports.com/

It was a bit of mucking around but in the end I was happy. I replaced all four struts and installed their camber kit as well and I must say the car is a lot smoother now and I haven't lost anything handling wise. Because mine is an Eibach I had to get adjustable struts like these as standard ones do not last on a lowered vehicle.

I know some of you may say it is not an "Eibach" anymore maybe it should be called a "Bilstein" but i still have the original springs just don't have the struts so I think I still qualify.
Old 26-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #75
01cougar
Starter Motor

Quote:
My cougar used to gete 450-500 per tank (auto). Maybe it's time to check leads, plugs, fuel filter etc?
I put it today for a full service (fuel injector flush, transmission flush etc & general service) so hopefully this will help it
Old 27-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #76
scout

Thanks Arrow I will them out.
scout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #77
REDDYZ

Scout 360 per tank is worst. I dont drive in peak hour traffic but I drive in kind of mixed traffic and I get 550 easily with atleast 7 to 12 litres still in the tank. Mind you I drive manual and I dont do quick shifts. The worst consumption I got so far is 9.8L/100km and I dont use A/C. Hope the service will fix it. If not there are few other things to look at. Anyway, see how you go. If you are planning to buy bilsteins from http://www.ctamotorsports.com/ let me know. I would need rear struts. May be we can order together and share shipping costs. Because they quoted shipping almost the price of struts.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #78
REDDYZ

Quote:
scout I ordered my struts from here http://www.ctamotorsports.com/

It was a bit of mucking around but in the end I was happy. I replaced all four struts and installed their camber kit as well and I must say the car is a lot smoother now and I haven't lost anything handling wise. Because mine is an Eibach I had to get adjustable struts like these as standard ones do not last on a lowered vehicle.

I know some of you may say it is not an "Eibach" anymore maybe it should be called a "Bilstein" but i still have the original springs just don't have the struts so I think I still qualify.

Mate I will tell you what. Does'nt matter what your car is riding on. If you have an Eibach, it will be an Eibach, end of story. I drive an Eibach and I have driven few other standard Cougars and there is so much difference between them... Eibach's handling is exceptional. Appearance is different, handling is different, it does'nt have speed limiter, you just feel so confident behind the wheel with wide wheel base, stiff suspension, I just cant stop explaining the difference. I love driving my Eibach so much that kind of addicted to it. Add twin exhaust system to it and you will feel like flying. You should always proudly say that you are an Eibach owner.

cheers
Old 28-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #79
01cougar
Starter Motor

yeah its much better now, its running 11.2 per 100, havent had to re-fuel yet so hopefully ill get a bit more out of it
Old 15-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #80
thearrow

Default Milestones for my Cat....

A couple of significant milestones for my Cat this week.

No.1/ I just clicked over 130000km and still going strong (touch wood).

No.2/ I actually own it now, finally paid off....

So in celebration I thought I should post some birthday pics taken 14/6/2010 fresh from the car wash.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...une2010022.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...une2010019.jpg
Old 15-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #81
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

god i love that colour Still a sexy beast hehe

I pulled up next to a green one this morning on the way to work. I occasionally miss my Cougar, but then I put my foot down in the focus and I don't seem to miss it after that lol

Old 15-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #82
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Congratulations Dave!

Still a great looking car and still going strong All the better that you own it outright now!

I paid mine off in March and it was a wonderful feeling. Our 5th anniversary together was actually at the end of May. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been kind for me to photograph my Cougar to celebrate. But I'll try to do something about that next week.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 16-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #83
REDDYZ

I like the wheels Dave. They actually look like 18", bigger than standard. Are you sure they are 17"? Anyway congrats Dan & Dave, enjoy your rides.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
Old 20-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #84
REDDYZ

Quote:
A couple of significant milestones for my Cat this week.

No.1/ I just clicked over 130000km and still going strong (touch wood).

No.2/ I actually own it now, finally paid off....

So in celebration I thought I should post some birthday pics taken 14/6/2010 fresh from the car wash.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...une2010022.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...une2010019.jpg
My Cat clocked over 140000km last Thursday on the way to Canberra from Melbourne. I did around 30000km in last 13 months which include 6 return trips from Sydney to Melbourne and 4 return trips to Canberra from Melbourne. This is a great car for interstate driving with lots of power yet very economical and comfortable too.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 29-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #85
thearrow

My wheels are deinitely 17's x 6.5" as I ordered them from the USA late last year as it was practically impossible to find a replacement I was happy with here as few manufacturers cater for a four bolt configuration.

I had to replace them as one of my old wheels had a crack in it and another had a wobble so in the end I tracked down some Ford Focus wheels in the US.All up cost was about U$200.00 a wheel delivered to my office.

I am very happy with them.
Old 29-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #86
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

With the recent cold weather one of my headlights is showing a lot of internal condensation... pain in the butt (mainly cos it looks bad).

Not sure what to do to fix it - aside from pulling the headlight apart?

Dan
Old 30-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #87
thearrow

Dan a common problem this time of year, don't know what the fix is.

As I now own my Cat I decided to fix my dash board lights......big problem.....it turns out my ABS module was cactus luckily my sparky new someone who can fix them but never the less cost was $750.00. Mind you this is a lot cheaper than a new one at about U$1100.00 at Rock Auto.

Car was off the road and in bits for three days while under repair but back on the road now. My sparky advised that our particular type of ABS module is subject to vibration which can crack the circuit boards inside the unit.

Also got my low coolant level light bridged which means that wont come on any more either.....this is the recommended fix for this problem from USA owners.
Old 30-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #88
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Dan, the condensation in the head lights is a common prob. Happened to my kitty when i had it. Just check the seals around it and make sure no water/moisture is getting in.

Old 30-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #89
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Dave, what was happening with your dash lights?

Read on NewCougar.org that a possible fix for the condensation is to open the rear covers on the headlights to get some air in there.

I've never had this problem as badly as it has been this past week - but with all the freezing temperatures we've been experiencing that might be part of the problem. Just looks horrible on one headlight!

Dave, have PM'd you on NewCougar, when you get a chance to take a look

Dan
Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #90
REDDYZ

Dave, I worked out why your wheels look bigger than the normal 17". Thats because on standard 17" Eibach wheels there is almost one inch border along the outer edge which dominates and highlights the rim than the tyre and on your wheels, there is no such border which looks as if they are big. Hope you understand what am trying to say. I will see if I can get hold of such wheels for my kitty.

My kitty has condensation problem as well. Since I fitted HID kit I always drive with headlights on all the time and condensation goes away in minutes. If you pull the whole headlight assembly aside you will notice a drain tube at the bottom on the unit. Which means, the unit is not completely sealed, it has a water drain and I wonder why? Anyone has any ideas about the drain hose on the headlight unit? Also, one of the clips which holds the rear cover of headlight unit is broken on my kitty and the cover doesnt seal the unit and I still see condensation. Has to be something else.

Last edited by yoga_hoops; 01-07-2010 at 12:14 AM.