Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

So .. first time Ive had to slow down to 40km/h passing an emergency vehicle under the new Vic road law.

Basically straight country road, 100km/h limit, daylight, damp but good visibility.

Car infront of me, and I see a car and truck heading towards us. Truck suddenly swerves onto my side of the road, car infront of me brakes, truck eventually pulls back in and as he passes us I see police car on the side of the road with lights on and someone pulled over.

I slow down .. car infront of me accelerates back up to 100 past the police car.

I think what happened was car coming towards us braked suddenly seeing the police car, truck couldnt brake as suddenly so swerved into opposite lane.

Nice one .. good reminder that need to be even more vigilant about checking rear mirrors.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Dumbest rule ever IMHO

I think it's one I'd ignore, BUT be ready for anything other motorists might do
Old 16-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
stock1991
Limited supply

the speed in sa is 25, wouldn't be so bad if it was just ambulance but a cop pulling someone over creates a hazard
5 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup and not just emergency vehicles - school buses pulled over on side of road require one to slow down too.
It's a fair squeeze of the brake pedal given people cruise near 120 (no fear of the 1km over bandit as in some police states)- At least the police are generally policing for real criminals not just revenue from Joe average.
Old 16-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happened to me on the eastern. Cop pulled over a car in the emergency lane. And all of sudden people started to slam their brakes on. Almost rear-ended someone and someone almost rear-ended me. Dumbest rule. Absolute hazard and dangerous on the road. Scary thing is that if you were to technically continue doing your speed at 100km past the cop car that is technically 60km over the speed limit and automatic loss of licence for 12months. Can't win in this world. Luckly the FG has good brakes, might have to invest in brembos if this happens on a regular basis though hahahaha
Old 16-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
the speed in sa is 25, wouldn't be so bad if it was just ambulance but a cop pulling someone over creates a hazard
That's a joke. I thought 40 was bad but 25 is stupidity as a blanket rule.
I was riding my mountain bike today I noticed I was doing 25 on the flat without actually putting in any effort.

I find a lot of people tend to slow to a reasonable speed when the conditions require people to slow past emergancy vehicles, but as always the few idiots that pass 4 metres pass a crash scene at 100km/h are the ones who ruin it for everyone.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the rule has not and wont be enforced. Also it is a fine and no points even if it was enforced. The police commisioner said so himself on 3aw that it is not going to be enforced any time soon.
Old 16-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

I have no problem with it.

In the first post example, how come the car could see the situation and the following truck couldn't?

It also highlights many people's bad habits of following too closely.

Too many drivers struggle to see past their windscreen and many people these days are selfish. Their time is more important than anyone else's.

If people give driving the respect it deserves then this rule won't be the massive issue many are making it out to be.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
Grom13

[QUOTE=prydey;5987663]I have no problem with it.

In the first post example, how come the car could see the situation and the following truck couldn't?

Too many drivers struggle to see past their windscreen and many people these days are selfish. Their time is more important than anyone else's.

If people give driving the respect it deserves then this rule won't be the massive issue many are making it out to be.[/QUOTE
Dumbest rule ever , going to cause accidents , give emergency vehicles room and reduce your speed is common sense, but to tell people they must do 40kmh that's a green light for all the morons to stomp on the brakes without even thinking or checking their surroundings they are asking to be hit by a b-double . Stupidity at its gloriest best!!
Old 17-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #10
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I believe the rule has not and wont be enforced. Also it is a fine and no points even if it was enforced. The police commisioner said so himself on 3aw that it is not going to be enforced any time soon.
The other interesting thing I heard, was that at the moment the offence is not listed on the current infringement notices that the traffic cops carry with them, so they cannot issue you with an on the spot ticket technically.
Old 17-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #11
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The other interesting thing I heard, was that at the moment the offence is not listed on the current infringement notices that the traffic cops carry with them, so they cannot issue you with an on the spot ticket technically.
but they can take your details and issue a summons to court
Old 17-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Doesn't look like much policing on the Hume since this new law appeared.
Guess even the local HWP don't want to trigger a mass pile up.

This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 07:18 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

If people give driving the respect it deserves then this rule won't be the massive issue many are making it out to be.
different state different laws, the truck driver may not have been aware of this law...

and cars braking hard very little time to react, irrespective of gap given.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
different state different laws, the truck driver may not have been aware of this law...

and cars braking hard very little time to react, irrespective of gap given.
ignorance isn't an excuse.

the OP mentions its a country road, 100km/h signposted. no excuse for travelling within 50m of the preceding vehicle. being a country road, there is any number of scenario's that could cause a vehicle to suddenly brake. part of operating a vehicle is having that awareness, and respecting following distances.

of course there will always be the odd scenario that will be the exception, but most of the time, if drivers are giving respect to the task at hand, then it shouldn't be a problem.
6 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't see a reason the truck didn't see the police car .. I'm suspicious that:
1. Truck was following to close
2. Truck didn't think to slow down, and didn't think the car in front would
3. Car in front stood on the brakes heavily

Only reason the car infront of me slowed down was because the truck pulled onto our side of the road (I thought he was going to pass the car infront of him?!). The car infront of me sped back up to (likely) 100km/h passing the police car .... the whole event was a dogs breakfast.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

4. truckie texting
Old 17-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

bolded bit for numpties
Old 17-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #18
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Common cents aren't worth a dollar.

Time for mixed lollies.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #19
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Urgh!
Phone **** ups!
Old 17-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Towing a caravan to Stawell on the Western Hwy a couple of weeks ago. Doing 100km/h in a 110 zone and coming around a bend, see the red and blues on a police car that pulled over a car. I tried to slow safely to 40 in the distance I had but could only manage around 55-60km/h. Thankfully no one behind me as they probably wouldn't be able to see the police car and realise why I was braking.
Just as well he didn't have the radar out...

In saying that there have been reports of police cars pulled over with flashing lights pulled over an apparent unmarked police car with radar in hand. If true its a pretty low way to generate revenue.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #21
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not that hard, up ahead, 3 lanes of traffic suddenly showing brake lights, might be time you do too.
And a truckie can see flashing red and blues long before the cars in front of him.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a crash around the corner from my house last night. Myself and the cars nearby proceed past at about 27km/h
Legally we could have done 50, but due to the conditions we didn't. I find that the majority of people do a reasonable speed past crashes. If anything people go too slow to have a look rather than too fast.
I hope NSW doesn't follow with the nanny state rules.
Old 17-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can spit, cry and sook as much as you want

red n blues

police / fire / ambos
5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
you can spit, cry and sook as much as you want

red n blues

police / fire / ambos
And they are on the clock. They deserve a safe working environment just like everyone else!

The rule has been in SA for at least 2 -3 years and no chaos has ensued.
Old 18-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #25
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
In saying that there have been reports of police cars pulled over with flashing lights pulled over an apparent unmarked police car with radar in hand. If true its a pretty low way to generate revenue.
load of rubbish. A mate of a mate of my wife's third cousin read about it on Facebook
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #26
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And they are on the clock. They deserve a safe working environment just like everyone else!

And just to think, we also have to 25km/h in roadworks as well unlike other states.

These laws are all about protecting the people who's jobs are to be out on those roads with cars.
Old 18-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #27
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Should it then be extended to anyone pulled over on the side of the road for an emergency? For example changing a tyre? These people would be more at risk as these people are likely to be unaware of the surroundings.
May be to all roadside emergencies? Yellow lights (RACxxx staff too, they're on the clock too).

EDIT:
Case in point.
Quote:
Recap: A 56-year-old man who was changing a flat tyre has been killed after a ute veered off-road and crashed into his vehicle.

Police believe the man had been driving along the Goulburn Valley Highway, near Shepparton, about 9.45pm yesterday when he pulled over to change a tyre.

It is believed a Mazda ute then veered off the road and crashed into the rear of the man's stationary vehicle.

The 56-year-old man died at the scene.

The driver of the Mazda, a 53-year-old Shepparton man, was arrested and is currently assisting police with their enquiries.

Police are urging anyone who witnessed the crash or has dash-cam footage of the area to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

The man's death brings the road toll for the year up to 159, 26 fewer than at the same time last year.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...17-gxy366.html
Old 18-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #28
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was teaching the kids to drive (18 $ 24 years ago) I always said keep an eye on the cars 3-4 cars ahead and when you see their brake light take action.If you just watch the car in front you usually don't have enough reaction time.Must have worked as neither have run into cars in front.As for trucks (and indeed everyone) doesn't the law state you must keep a safe distance behind to enable your self to stop if neccessary.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #29
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

like many kneejerk reactions the intentions are good, but the unintended consequences haven't been thought throug
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #30
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont worry everyone, it is not enforced! Just drive safely.
Closed Thread