Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #31
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: How old are your tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Without sounding smart... but a few months from purchase?
or have you checked the actual date of manufature?

Last time i bought tyres they were 6 months old already, prior to that the last lot of tyres were already 2yrs old...but sold as "new".

Firstly. Generally when you buy popular sizing, they're about 6 months old before you get them. (not all the time of course). Firstly, they are sit round the manufacturing plant, then it can take about 3 months to land on Aussie shores. Then it takes a few weeks for customs to clear them. Then how ever long sitting in the suppliers shed.

2ndly. Non popular sizes will be older, because they don't move as quick. Hence them being this 2 year old, by the time you get them.

After all, the manufacturers have to try and predict how many to make, then the suppliers have to predict how many to import.

So hopefully people can understand why there can be a time difference between date stamped and when you actually get them put on

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #32
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Without sounding smart... but a few months from purchase?
or have you checked the actual date of manufature?

Last time i bought tyres they were 6 months old already, prior to that the last lot of tyres were already 2yrs old...but sold as "new".
Never actually checked the manufacturing date, purchased a few months ago.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

There was a story from the UK a couple of years ago of a classic car owner who died in a crash caused by a tyre blowout, from memory he had fitted a set of the original tyres to drive to a car show, ie 30+ yo.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
billy302

Tyres have a lifespan irrespective of Km's travelled.
All tyres sold in Australia since 2000 have to have the date of manufacture on the sidewall of the tyre.
My daughter had a Nissan 200SX Turbo as a Third car, (she didn't use it much) and I kept telling her she needed new tyres on it. The tyres had gone hard there was no flex at all in the tread, Anyway as luck would have it, it rained one day she had it out on the road. Scared herself silly she did, Went to a tyre dealer and he told her the tyres were 10 years old and needed to be replaced. New Tyres still raining and now she realised just how bad the tyres were.
Too many people buy tyres and think they are all equal and if it has tread then it's all right.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #35
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A few years ago I went through about 2 - 3 sets of tyres a year... I seem to have gotten it down to 1 set so far
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #36
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I only seem to get 25,000km out of tyres, plus I keep an eye on them and rotate, balance and check pressures regularly.

I currently have 2004 build pirelli semi slicks on. They still had the wax on when I got them, but were sold cheap. I originally got them for track work.

I put them on as road tyres about 3 months ago. For the first 2 months they stuck like poo to furr.

They have hardened a little due to city heat cycling, but I still trust them more than most other traditional road tyres.

However I do agree with the OP that it it worth knowing the age.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #37
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
I never had a problem with tyre age. The maximum amount of time I've had tyres on a car is only 16months max. Which on that brand & model of tyre was weird. They were Bridgestone Potenza GIII's the most I had ever gotten out of them was just over 12 months. The last set before they went out of production went for 19 months. I was shocked, with an increase in millage per week.

My current bridgie's have been on since april last year. Looks like they will be due for a change in sept/oct. Maybe later at 900/1000k per week.
That was meant to be 18 months, Bloody iphone...
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #38
Falcman0o7
Banned

451 days, 4 hours, 23 minutes and 5 seconds.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b
i just replaced the original dunlop tyres on my ute ,got 80,000kms out of them in nearly 3.5 yrs ,bloody good tyre ,i run them on about 26psi ,unless i have a load in the back ,most tyre places reckon 36pi is the go but i disagree ,radials are built to move around a bit in the walls if you have too much pressure in them they ride hard and corner terrible ,thats my theory anyway ,and the proof is in the result ,they all still had tread when replaced
i`ll put money on it your suspension bushes will last much longer as well, 80,000 k`s is a bloody good , you still have to drive them well to get that sort of mileage, well done.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I bought my '82 Celica, a genuine one-owner ca with only 80,000km on the clock, it had the original Celica alloy wheels on it. I looked at the tyres and they looked fairly old...legal tread, but old. I realised that they could potentially be only the second set of tyres on the car since new, and were an unknown age.

I drove it for a few thousand kilometers, up and down the highway from Rocky to Bundaberg and back, around various places, and finally the front left tyre let go, exploding in a spectacular and comprehensive manner, just south of Rocky.
I put the spare on, and drove on at 90kph to Bundaberg, worrying that the other three tyres were the same age as the shredded one...

Luckily at home I had a set of early '80's Supra alloy wheels with tyres on them, so I just swapped them over. The problem is that the Supra wheels have tyres that are an unknown age as well, and are close to replacement time. But being 225/55-14, it's getting a bit hard to find affordable tyres in that size, if at all.

Now you've got me worried...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #41
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy302
Tyres have a lifespan irrespective of Km's travelled.
All tyres sold in Australia since 2000 have to have the date of manufacture on the sidewall of the tyre.

Haven't been round to long have you? Tyres have been date stamped for at least 30 years.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #42
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

the old tyres are good for

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #43
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfordfairmont
the old tyres are good for
good one
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #44
kennyboy

any body had a thought for their spare wheel? I got 160,000 off the original set of Goodyear LTs, then bought a set of Bridgestone Eagles that I'm about to replace after 120,000, just realised the spare is off the original set, must be at least 7 1/2 years old!
Old 29-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #45
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy
any body had a thought for their spare wheel? I got 160,000 off the original set of Goodyear LTs, then bought a set of Bridgestone Eagles that I'm about to replace after 120,000, just realised the spare is off the original set, must be at least 7 1/2 years old!
Good point...my spare is the original 13 year old one...and it's a different size to the other 4 tyres...
Old 29-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #46
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just put on a fresh set of Potenza RE070 made 2010. Won't last long enough to worry about age. Only done about 50,000kms about 5 years and already onto my 3rd set
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #47
66GT

When I got my GT Cortina in had a set of Bridgestone Steel Cats. Took it down to the local Bridgestone dealer & he couldn't believe they still had the nipples on the tread & reckoned they had not done a 100kms during their 20year life. Sold my 1990 Pajero 2 years ago still with its original unused spare on the back.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #48
THE CADBURY KID

Most people dont even realise that the only link between their car and the road is the tyres and their condition,until something bad happens to them as a result they wont believe words.Its just how it goes.
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #49
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just had a look at mine and i can rest easy on the date side of things for a bit
fronts are 0810
rears are 0610

now to keep them on the car for long enough to see good life out of them

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #50
mainyard

Date stamp changed a few years ago from month/year to week/year

so those tyres above were manufactured 8th week of 2010 and 6th week of 2010.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #51
billy302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
just had a look at mine and i can rest easy on the date side of things for a bit
fronts are 0810
rears are 0610

now to keep them on the car for long enough to see good life out of them

Jason
Do you know how to read the date of manufacture?
All tyres sold in Australia since 2000 have a 4 Digit code on the casing, just like yours.
the first 2 digits relate to the week of the year they came out of the manufacturers mould. The last 2 digits refer to the year of manufacture
In your case the fronts are 6th week of 2010. The rears are the 8th week of 2010.
So your tyres are 18 months old.

Last edited by billy302; 01-07-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: answer incomplete
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post