Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Griddon
Starter Motor

Default Mk4 focus 1.5t 3cyl ticking.

Hi all.
Recently acquired a dealer demo mk 4 focus trend. Drives well and so far I'm impressed with the car. All apart from the pretty horrendous ticking from the engine. Not much to go on via Google. Just one video on YouTube which seems similar to my problem. Link here. https://youtu.be/eXlt4C5R04Q

Plenty of other videos for different ford ecoboost engines talking about lifter tap or broken pistons. When I test drove the car I didn't notice it. Given how loud it is on cold start and under load Im fairly certain it's a developing issue. Just shy of 8000kms.

Just wondering if other owners can comment. Most notable on cold start and light to medium pedal driveways. Remains noticeable at fully warm. Tapping frequency rises with engine speed. If it's a characteristic of the vehicle then I guess I might save a visit to the dealer.
Griddon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Mk4 focus 1.5t 3cyl ticking.

No it's not a characteristic of the engine, it's a sign that something is wrong and given it's under warranty, make it the dealers problem.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Sherlock708
Starter Motor

Hi Griddon, I’ve got the exact same issue on a Feb 2019 build (MY19.25) Focus ST-Line Ticks under load in gear and goes away when hot. It sounds like a dodgy bearing on a pulley or noisy lifters.

Mine has done 53k. I thought it was a dodgy bearing on the idler pulley or tensioner. I got it checked by two different ford dealers. One of them did their due diligence and took the belt off while it was cold and took it for drive and the noise was still present as described.

They did the same thing to a new one and still had the same noise. They have noted and acknowledged the noise, they just don’t know what it is. The best they can do at this stage is monitor it if it gets worse.

I thought I was the only one and going mad. I wonder if anyone in other markets like Europe and the U.S. are experiencing it? Perhaps the Aus market gets different oils or something? Our premium fuel not being low enough in sulphur? I don’t know.

Other than that I love the car.
Sherlock708 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Griddon
Starter Motor

Well since Covid arrived I've only done 3000kms since taking delivery of the car. The noise at cold start is really terrible but I can't fault performance, economy and nor has code been set. As such I think its a characteristic of the engine. The ford service manager for my dealer actually visited to experience the fault first hand and I'm overdue taking the car in for them to review.
I don't think it's a fuel issue. Our sulphur content in 91 isn't great at up to 150ppm allowable but I think 95 and up are competitive with other regions.
Anyway. Great car for the money. I'm living with the noise on cold start and enjoying the performance once warm!
Griddon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of cars now are really loud on cold start. Mazda’s, my i30 listed goes on. I believe it’s a direct injection thing.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one option is to ensure nothing is hitting the engine bay while the engine rattles on cold start making matters sound worse. touch a few things like coolant tank aircleaner box etc to see they contribute to the noise.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post