Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
TwentySixHundred
Starter Motor

Default Ford's manufacturing equipment

These might seem like silly questions to some but i can't help but wonder.

Does anyone have any idea what Ford has done with their manufacturing equipment. I have searched all over the internet and haven't really found much information.

Im talking the engine castings and a panel presses (molds ect). Were they just smelted down at the local recycling plant or is someone in possession of all this equipment?

Is the R&D and engineering documents under lock and key or are they shredded? Would any other companies be able to buy this equipment and/or documents/patent to reproduce blocks, heads and other related components?

Only a matter of time to they start becoming rare with people buying wrecker specials and flogging them out. Would be a shame to see this equipment and research go to waste.

Americans are also becoming interested in the Barra and as such a great powerplant for competitive racing id like to see someone reproducing them.

I have found this place though http://www.aclperformance.com.au
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Ford's manufacturing equipment

scrap metal :(
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

China
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySixHundred View Post

Americans are also becoming interested in the Barra and as such a great powerplant for competitive racing id like to see someone reproducing them.

There is a demand for Nissans RB26 but I heard they cost around $50K to build.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-in-production

But I haven't heard about any serious interest for the Barra, and cant see why there would be given other options
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
There is a demand for Nissans RB26 but I heard they cost around $50K to build.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-in-production

But I haven't heard about any serious interest for the Barra, and cant see why there would be given other options
That nissan engine is pretty pricey :(

I've seen a few adverts from importers in the USA about availability of Barra motors. Probably be a very limited market. The guys into full bodies cars will be doing the pushrod motors (LS) and the jappers won't be too interested.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
That nissan engine is pretty pricey :(

I've seen a few adverts from importers in the USA about availability of Barra motors. Probably be a very limited market. The guys into full bodies cars will be doing the pushrod motors (LS) and the jappers won't be too interested.
Indeed for those larger cars the LS is so cheap and readily available, there are also Coyote crate motors available if they wanted Ford.

If someone really wants a Barra to build, there would be plenty salvageable from a wreckers I suppose
Old 02-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Dearborn has the ownership of intellectual property and I understand whatever was kept was sent there much to the disappointment of keen fans.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...ry-war-103987/

Press tools are large, heavy and often modified to suit ongoing requirements. I very much doubt there was any thought given to retention by Ford Australia. They would have fulfilled their legal obligations to spares prior to shut down. Where the equipment ended up only those involved with it would know and as you state there is nothing on the web regarding it's disposal, only the Factory real estate.

The only company I know of who actively sought out obsolete tooling for manufacture of panels and bodies is in the 1980's by British Motor Heritage Group which was established as a profitable separate company.
There is more world wide interest in MGs and Minis than older Aussie falcons.

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/bodyshells2.htm
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
TwentySixHundred
Starter Motor

That's a shame though, the LS is good but im sure there are many that still want Barra's. Even the RB30 is in high demand as they're starting to become rarer these days.

I have always looked at the Barra as Australia's answer to the RB and 2jz. With it's technology and large displacement it definitely has it's place. Would be a shame to see them die out.

Looks like i better start stocking up on Barras so im not struggling to find one later down the track. I mean considering Ford wasn't selling that many cars in the past 10 years of it's existence, i doubt there really is as many as people think.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
TwentySixHundred
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Ford Dearborn has the ownership of intellectual property and I understand whatever was kept was sent there much to the disappointment of keen fans.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...ry-war-103987/

Press tools are large, heavy and often modified to suit ongoing requirements. I very much doubt there was any thought given to retention by Ford Australia. They would have fulfilled their legal obligations to spares prior to shut down. Where the equipment ended up only those involved with it would know and as you state there is nothing on the web regarding it's disposal, only the Factory real estate.

The only company I know of who actively sought out obsolete tooling for manufacture of panels and bodies is in the 1980's by British Motor Heritage Group which was established as a profitable separate company.
There is more world wide interest in MGs and Minis than older Aussie falcons.

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/bodyshells2.htm

Thats an interesting read
Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Equipment was either taken by Ford to be used elsewhere if they could find a use for it, sold off via auction, or scrapped.

It's all gone now.

Plenty of barra blocks out there for future use.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty, correct me if I'm wrong they are all the same.
ie Barra 182 Barra 270T is the same block
Old 02-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Plenty, correct me if I'm wrong they are all the same.
ie Barra 182 Barra 270T is the same block
Yep all blocks are the same.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Actually that never happened. The plan was to ship it over where is could be catalogued and preserved in an air conditioned environment, and made available for researchers etc. What actually happened was that Ford North America decided they didn't have the resource to catalogue it and wouldn't accept boxes of unsorted papers. Ford Australia had no resource to sort it. The Ford Museum had no resource to catalogue it either. Last I heard it was all piled up rotting away in the underground of the old museum in Geelong. Very sad.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #14
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the Automotive Historians Australia

Quote:
Australian Ford Archives - An Update
February 07, 2017

Some 12 months ago it was discovered Ford Australia planned to ship their archives to Detroit. The Ford archives had originally been put together by the late Adrian Ryan, Motoring Journalist, commentator and enthusiast, then working as Ford’s head of Public Affairs.

The archive material expanded once Ford announced closure of manufacturing with all suitable old material located to Broadmeadows. Archivist, Michelle Cook was then told to box the material up for shipment overseas.

Word spread quickly resulting in ex Ford employee, Peter Fry, leading a movement to preserve the Ford Archives in Australia. Wheels magazine ran a story in their September 2016 issue, urging readers to write to the Minister and Ford expressing concern.

See https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/16...ralian-archive

The AHA also took up the matter with local politicians, receiving support from the Hon Martin Foley MP, who wrote supporting our concern to the Minister responsible, Hon. Mitch Fifield who has now advised that Ford require an export permit as the archive was reregulated under the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act.

Fifield’s Dept advised Ford they needed a licence and to date have not applied for one.

The good news is Ford’s archivist has been employed for a further 12 months suggesting perhaps the archive will be rehoused in Australian Institutes, and be available for local research.
http://www.autohistoriansaustralia.o...ives-an-update
Old 02-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's nice. but wrong.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
that's nice. but wrong.
Which part is wrong?
I have emailed the Historical website for further clarification but the actions to that date seem certain to me.

Bill.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's totally opposite the the information I have. But I may be wrong. I was under the impression that FoA never had an archivist, but Michelle is still on the books, so I hope you are correct.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

We need the moulds to make all the fpv bumpers. Surely someone bought those.

We have had this issue with all past models. Surely people have learnt by now the value of these items.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

easy answer to this
companies that could have didnt see the value in retaining any of this
companies that could see an ongoing need or value couldnt cough up the monies required to acquire any of this

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe somewhere in a third world country, there are new AU Falcons getting around.
I found in India they are making a new "1989" Mazda T / Ford Trader truck, seems ironic considering all the old ones here went there in containers a few years ago.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
Hulsty

Tools like a bumper tool, would be very hard to move elsewhere, would have been a $500k tool new and built for specific machine/company which probablys dont exist anymore.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Would Ford even have offered any of the tooling for sale?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most tooling was actually supplier owned not Ford. The exception would be the body panel tools, and the casting moulds and I'm pretty sure those went straight to scrap. I remember that Grays did have an auction but I think that was primarily power and hand tools, not the big stuff
Old 05-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute View Post
Would Ford even have offered any of the tooling for sale?
Not tooling. Just machinery. I think they had presses and stuff that could be repurposed sent to greys auctions.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #25
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Yeah that's what I thought, in reference to suggestions other companies should have bought the tooling. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they had the machinery sold before production finished, that is the way it happened where my brother-in-law used to work.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #26
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn’t most of Fords equipment almost at the end of its life anyway? I remember reading somewhere on here that the plant would have required a massive upgrade to keep going and it wasn’t viable.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post